Thanks!

UT_Dave

New member here.

A Whites XLT is really the only detector I've ever used, unless you count the Radio Shack kit machine I had as a child. I swung the XLT for about ten years. But haven't used it hardly at all for the last ten years (life got busy...).

Recently dusted the old machine off and have taken it park hunting a couple of times. Realized I am just rusty as heck in all aspects of detecting. Checked my old coin garden and actually had trouble hitting many of the targets. I don't think it's the detector, I think that the targets have likely just settled a good bit in the more than 15 years since I planted them.

Anyway... You can see where this is going. Flung a craving for a new detector.

Which, brought me here. Where I have been doing a bunch of reading lately.

I registered mainly just so I could post and say THANK YOU! To all the members here who take the time to post so much great, thoughtfully presented information.

Forums in general seem to be dying out. I'm just delighted to find a detecting forum like this that is going strong and has knowledgeable members still willing to share their thoughts.

So, thanks y'all!

- Dave

I use Facebook for other things, but I too hope forums do not die out !

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:fmdfwelcome:

Welcome from Boston, Dave !

I'm still using an XLT (I have two of them... got the 2nd one as a backup from another forum member here).

Jim

My hunting partner DirtFishingDan uses an xlt. He crushes it. I run a 800. He said if he does get a new machine it will be a nox. Welcome to the forum. A few more trips out and you will be right back in the swing of things.

Yes and Yes. I've no plans to part with the XLT. And, as of now at this point in my investigation, if I were to pull the trigger on a new one today, it would be the Nox 800.

Which, coincidentally enough, a friend bought a new 800 a few months ago. I was already thinking that was what I probably want before I remembered he has one. He has used it less than an hour. So doesn't think he can teach me how to use it. But is happy to lend it to me for a weekend or a week.

I'm intrigued to try it on my coin garden on those targets that are giving me some trouble with the XLT (I can pinpoint them, but only because I know exactly where they are - pretty sure I'd miss them on a real hunt).

- Dave

Hey Dave. You reminded me of an old hunting buddy that used an XLT. I was using a Minelab Explorer XS at that time. I always gave him a hard time about XLT standing for "Extra Little Treasure." He did make some nice finds, but the XLT was not near the machine that the Explorer XS was. He eventually got an Explorer also, as he was tired of coming up on the short end of all our outings.

XLT is a great machine. I keep my DFX's. Bought a lot of detectors because a previous one quit working.:lol: Easy to get rusty. I have times where i don't get out for a bit. It is like bowling. May take you a few to get the old memory ticking again. Nox is great. CTX is great but heavy. AT Pro great, etc. In other words you have a tough choice to make or a budget for more than one:lol:

So I was able to borrow my buddies new Equinox 800 this afternoon. Turned it on, put it in P1, ran the noise cancelling. The ran it around the coin garden a couple of times.

Dang... Detectors have come a long way, it seems. That appears to be one sensitive, high gain, deep machine. Hit most of the targets my old XLT really couldn't, easily, right off the bat. A couple that I was having trouble with, turned the sensitivity up to 25 and wham, it was all over both of them.

Tones didn't seem that alien to me, silver actually sounded not unlike my old XLT. Clads seemed to give pretty stable numbers. I have some learning to do on the mixed targets where I have a coin and some trash in the same hole. I think I can hear both, but then I think I'm just hearing a broken up signal. Need a lot of practice.

I borrowed it for the weekend and I'm going to use it tomorrow for sure and maybe Sunday too.

But, yeah, I'm gonna get me one.

- Dave

So, this morning, I was going to take the borrowed 800 and try it at one of our local reservoirs that sees a lot of water sports, that is pretty well dried up. I think you can walk and detect where earlier this summer people were boat surfing and wakeboarding. I'm sure it's been hit plenty already, but I think there's a lot of detectable ground that has been watersport heavy for many years until now.

But... It was raining, and windy this morning, and... I didn't go.

Weather cleared off later in the day and I went to do a short park hunt real close to home. Parks were jam packed with little league, baseball and football. Went to a trashy little park only 2 miles from home, too small for sports. Almost deserted, so I got in about 90 minutes.

This machine is a lot of fun! Initial impressions after a couple hours in the coin garden and an hour and a half in the park, is that compared to my XLT, it's a little bit like going from CB to Ham. Everything is just more.

Going off TID's from my coin garden, and with not much time, I dug nothing under 20 which is about where the zincs in my garden were showing. Find of the day was an iron encrusted Old Timer at 10"! Only a few feet from a shaded picnic table. Could not move the coil without multiple targets but this one was in the mid 20's and with some fiddling I thought I had it "separated"(?). Nooby noob that I am, I may have been imagining that separation recognition... But I thought it was a fun find and recovery.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

So, yeah, I'm going to call some sponsors on Monday :lol:

- Dave

So, this morning, I was going to take the borrowed 800 and try it at one of our local reservoirs that sees a lot of water sports, that is pretty well dried up. I think you can walk and detect where earlier this summer people were boat surfing and wakeboarding. I'm sure it's been hit plenty already, but I think there's a lot of detectable ground that has been watersport heavy for many years until now.

But... It was raining, and windy this morning, and... I didn't go.

Weather cleared off later in the day and I went to do a short park hunt real close to home. Parks were jam packed with little league, baseball and football. Went to a trashy little park only 2 miles from home, too small for sports. Almost deserted, so I got in about 90 minutes.

This machine is a lot of fun! Initial impressions after a couple hours in the coin garden and an hour and a half in the park, is that compared to my XLT, it's a little bit like going from CB to Ham. Everything is just more.

Going off TID's from my coin garden, and with not much time, I dug nothing under 20 which is about where the zincs in my garden were showing. Find of the day was an iron encrusted Old Timer at 10"! Only a few feet from a shaded picnic table. Could not move the coil without multiple targets but this one was in the mid 20's and with some fiddling I thought I had it "separated"(?). Nooby noob that I am, I may have been imagining that separation recognition... But I thought it was a fun find and recovery.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

So, yeah, I'm going to call some sponsors on Monday :lol:

- Dave

Looks like you had a fun hunt ! :thumbsup:

Since you now seem sold on the 800 then these might help.....

.....here are some short but very helpful tutorials on the Equinox series I found online:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC

(they cover both the 600 and 800)

Back
Top Bottom