Do you use headphones?

I have no doubt that using headphones will improve my ability to use my metal detector.

I just value situational awareness more than better performance from my machine.

Wrong. The VDI number is just as important as the signal. I can always tell when I've found an IHC or a wheatie in the woods. IHC's always register as low 70's and wheaties are mid-70's. The sound they make means jack squat to me in those cases.

I also know of spots where nickels always ring up at 52 or 53. Any higher or lower and I pass on them because they're always pull tabs or can slaw. Bottom line, anyone who only goes by the tones and doesn't use the VDI numbers is just guessing and will be digging a TON of junk.

We are going to disagree 100%. EVERY detector is much more than a "VDI number"

Only when I have to.
e.g.
Hunting in a front yard where there's a lot of traffic noise.
When I'm hunting with a buddy so he doesn't have to hear the multitude of squeaks emitted by my e-trac.
When I'm night hawking in stealth mode :D

Every detector is much more than a "tone" as well.

I'm not going to bicker with you over this subject. I have drawers full of 1700's coins and relics and almost all were found without the use of headphones.

I'm not going to bicker with you over this subject. I have drawers full of 1700's coins and relics and almost all were found without the use of headphones.

The finds you claim are fantastic. But will will disagree on quality headphone use, 100%.:hornetsnest:

Last edited:
Wrong. The VDI number is just as important as the signal. I can always tell when I've found an IHC or a wheatie in the woods. IHC's always register as low 70's and wheaties are mid-70's. The sound they make means jack squat to me in those cases.

I also know of spots where nickels always ring up at 52 or 53. Any higher or lower and I pass on them because they're always pull tabs or can slaw. Bottom line, anyone who only goes by the tones and doesn't use the VDI numbers is just guessing and will be digging a TON of junk.
Your the dirt pro , I am not. I do know it's more labor intensive than sand. But it's very clear you are not a gold hunter. There is no way I would not dig up a signal that is a few digits up or down from a nickel signal. And I don't care how many 1000s of holes I got to dig IN SAND. One of the reasons I'm not into dirt fishing , I guess. Because I'm into gold ! But saying they are always pulltabs or can slaw when in fact you don't know because you pass them up is an interesting statement to say the least. I know it's a #s game , especially in dirt , but you are missing gold.

Fair enough, Beachhunt1. You know you're right and I know I'm right and that's all that matters! Lol!

That reminds me of one of Churchill's favorite sayings:

"I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!"

Often agreeing to disagree is the best option.

Your the dirt pro , I am not. I do know it's more labor intensive than sand. But it's very clear you are not a gold hunter. There is no way I would not dig up a signal that is a few digits up or down from a nickel signal. And I don't care how many 1000s of holes I got to dig IN SAND. One of the reasons I'm not into dirt fishing , I guess. Because I'm into gold ! But saying they are always pulltabs or can slaw when in fact you don't know because you pass them up is an interesting statement to say the least. I know it's a #s game , especially in dirt , but you are missing gold.

Exactly

I haven't figured out the advantage of headphones, since the tones from my machine are quite clear. They are also just one more thing to deal with during a hunt. Am I missing an advantage of using them?

YES! Helps with battery life on your machine and lets you hear the deep ones and faint hits better.

Where I hunt it is a must in North Atlanta. always some lawn mower, leaf blower, busy road near by. Plus at one of my favorite parks it is in the approach pattern of corporate jets that come by every few minutes, and then there are all the commercial helicopters.

So I have to wear wireless headphones to hear my tones on my 800 clearly almost 100% of the time. Plus, when you have headphones on people nearby don't hear your beeps and come over and ask what did you find. I know, I like to be nice, but they are time wasters and I would rather be left alone on my hunts.

One day in the park two different people got my attention and told me that I missed some weeds. They confused my 800 with being a weed eater.

Sorry, but I'm not digging 1,000 pull tabs and can slaw at a ballfield for a gold ring. Just not worth it to me. I do dig most signals in the woods, though, since I like finding iron relics and small brass buttons.

Back
Top Bottom