Georgetown Texas Area

lawman711

Elite Member
Out in the West Texas town of ..............
After a hiatus for the past few years, I’m back in the hunt. I have since moved to the Georgetown Texas area and am unfamiliar with the local rules/laws as they pertain to metal detecting parks, public schools, and other open areas. Any information would be appreciated.

If it's generally open to the public (like a park, or a school yard playground without fences, or where the gates are intentionally left open on the weekends) and they haven't posted a list of restricted activities that includes metal detecting, then I'd say go for it. I'm not aware of any general prohibition on metal detecting that applies generally to Texas except in places that are clearly designated state archaeological landmarks (note that there is a description of what landmarks are eligible for designation, but the prohibition on searching is only on designated landmarks). Private property that is generally open to the public would be fair game too. Just be nice, replace plugs, and leave it better than you found it.

Hello,
You should be good in Georgetown. Stay out of Austin unless your on private property. Think about heading west and hitting the Marble Falls area. Lots of money up that way.
Tom

After a hiatus for the past few years, I’m back in the hunt. I have since moved to the Georgetown Texas area and am unfamiliar with the local rules/laws as they pertain to metal detecting parks, public schools, and other open areas. Any information would be appreciated.

Welcome!

I know how you feel lawman I have been in and out twice, both times buying all new equipment. The parks should be fine i haven’t found anything that says other wise . I’ll keep looking and if something comes up I will repost what ever I find . Jordan mills you are just a few minutes from Rosenberg and I have seen your post before about getting together. I just haven’t been detecting at all lately. When I get the chance I’ll let you know maybe we can hit some parks .

Hey there! I’m new to the hobby and right down the road in Round Rock. Give me a shout on my cell if you want to get together and hit a couple parks (252three75zero090). As far as laws go, Texas doesn’t have any laws except about removing artifacts. I’ve checked with RRPD and there isn’t anything here and I also checked with Williamson Co sheriff’s office and there are no county laws or regulations so unless Georgetown has something you should be good. I know in RR you don’t have to get a permit but apparently quite a few places in TX do require a md permit.

...except about removing artifacts.....

I don't consider seated dimes and quarters to be "artifacts", do you ? :?: :roll:

... but apparently quite a few places in TX do require a md permit.

I doubt that. It's actually VERY RARE that any places EVER dreamed up "permits" for md'ing, in the entire USA. Like in the state of CA, for example, I can think of 3 cities, and perhaps 2 counties , that ever dreamed this up (and it would only be for *just* those city or county parks. Not "all land", blah blah). And the dirty little secret is : You'd be hard-pressed to ever get carded, or find anyone who cares about it.

So I bet there's hardly any cities or county-park systems in TX that have dreamed up a "permit". And the LAST thing you want to do, is go asking "Is there a permit". Lest you be swatting hornet's nests, and find someone to interpret that as a "Can I metal detect" question. And pass out a whimsical "no" to the "pressing question".

If someone is concerned that a place "might have a permit", then they can look it up for themselves. Park rules, and available "permits" info (a revenue source for the entity) are going to be no secret in today's digital day & age. If you see nothing there that says "permit", and nothing that says "No md'ing", then presto : No permits and not disallowed. :roll:

I don't consider seated dimes and quarters to be "artifacts", do you ? :?: :roll:

I doubt that. It's actually VERY RARE that any places EVER dreamed up "permits" for md'ing, in the entire USA. Like in the state of CA, for example, I can think of 3 cities, and perhaps 2 counties , that ever dreamed this up (and it would only be for *just* those city or county parks. Not "all land", blah blah). And the dirty little secret is : You'd be hard-pressed to ever get carded, or find anyone who cares about it.

So I bet there's hardly any cities or county-park systems in TX that have dreamed up a "permit". And the LAST thing you want to do, is go asking "Is there a permit". Lest you be swatting hornet's nests, and find someone to interpret that as a "Can I metal detect" question. And pass out a whimsical "no" to the "pressing question".

If someone is concerned that a place "might have a permit", then they can look it up for themselves. Park rules, and available "permits" info (a revenue source for the entity) are going to be no secret in today's digital day & age. If you see nothing there that says "permit", and nothing that says "No md'ing", then presto : No permits and not disallowed. :roll:

Hey Tom, take a breath. Nobody here is advocating for more permit requirements or saying they should exist whatsoever. A simple Google search will teach you that, yes, there are in fact several cities in Texas in which you need a permit for metal detecting, including a few of the largest in the state. Lawman asked for any information, I presented him with some.

... but apparently quite a few places in TX do require a md permit.

... several cities in Texas in which you need a permit for metal detecting, ......

Do you see what changed ?

I would say that, in any state, very very few cities or counties have ever dreamed up such a thing. That's not to deny that "some have". But not "quite a few" (if, by that, you meant "a lot")

Do you see what changed ?

I would say that, in any state, very very few cities or counties have ever dreamed up such a thing. That's not to deny that "some have". But not "quite a few" (if, by that, you meant "a lot")

“Quite a few” and “several” are synonymous in my opinion. No not every other city requires a permit but he and I happen to live right next to Austin, which is an attractive location, and also is one of the cities that requires such a license. Anything else you’d like to nitpick?

Back
Top Bottom