Me first flat button and a crude brass sight

PAslawslayer

I’m very excited that I found my first button this weekend after about 6 months of detecting in western PA. I also found a brass (pretty sure) sight that I’m assuming may have been part of a surveying kit. The house I found the items at is a nicer structure build in the 1860’s by a PA Railroad vip. I’m a gun enthusiast and smith, and I have no recollection of seeing a dovetail sight of brass quite like this. I feel it’s was either crudely made by an owner or it served a purpose other View attachment 489356
than firearms. As for the button, my limited research resources point toward lthe1700’s to early 1800’s, but I’m not sure. Any help with either item would be appreciated. I’m just getting started in detecting and would appreciate any help I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 489357
View attachment 489358

Last edited:
Yeah I’m trying to figure out how to make the files smaller on my phone. Sorry..

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3731-compressed.jpg
    IMG_3731-compressed.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3730.jpg
    IMG_3730.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Yeah I’m trying to figure out how to make the files smaller on my phone. Sorry..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the Tapatalk App to keep up with forums on my phone. It's easy to post pictures with it and size doesn't seem to matter. I guess it resizes them.

Cliff

Ok I’ll try that in the future. I was trying to post pictures I had already taken. It didn’t like them I guess. I’ll get this figured out.

It's easy to post any pictures you have on your phone with the app. Just click on the + and choose the pic you want. It will then give you an opportunity to choose a size.
c3ae52307edfb828bff9b417fccf69e9.jpg

Cliff

I think they wen through in my original post with my edit.

Cool finds. The sight is interesting, the dovetail mount is opposite of most. I would think maybe a guide of some sort or possibly something off of old survey equipment. Where in W. Pa. ? Good luck, Mark

My first thought was a piece of survey kit as well, but a guide is an interesting possibility. These were found just outside of Ligonier, PA

I think just some farm implement junk. I've seen the type triangular slot shape before, but can't put my finger on an ID right now. Except to recognize that this is recurring junkage, even in modern spots. I do not think it's a gun-sight.

Thanks all very much. I’m quite sure it’s not a gun sight, and I’m happy to keep it as a mystery item from a very old town yard.

Back
Top Bottom