• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What older no longer made detectors still hold their own?

Luke99

I have seen people say that the Garrett groundhog is ok for its age, are their any others? i was thinking it would be worth knowing what would make a good backup detector or one for a friend? Then i could keep my eye's open at the yard sales..

Any Fisher CZ and of course the original Explorer. Weird that the Explorer is over 10 years old. If you live in easy ground I'd say the BH Time Ranger or Land Ranger. The BH line might be more likely to pop up at a yard sale since they were more readily and locally availably.

Do you really see detectors at yard sales?

w

I have seen people say that the Garrett groundhog is ok for its age, are their any others? i was thinking it would be worth knowing what would make a good backup detector or one for a friend? Then i could keep my eye's open at the yard sales..

The Mxt is old and people still love it.

I still use my whites 5500d S3 circa 1982. Rather switch wife than my detector. Only issue is the weight. But know what it is b4 I dig it.

CZ's and Explorers like Wayne said, XLT's, Sov's, older Excal's, 1266x's.... There's a lot. Detectors have not advanced that much in the past 20 years.

Have a friend who has found over $2500 in face value of coins each of the past 2 yrs. using a White's Eagle Spectrum that he bought back in the middle ninties. If you ever come across one, grab it...

Garrett Master Hunters 7 and up.Stay away from any thing less then that,and dont open up any old metal detector.:)

Any Fisher CZ and of course the original Explorer. Weird that the Explorer is over 10 years old. If you live in easy ground I'd say the BH Time Ranger or Land Ranger. The BH line might be more likely to pop up at a yard sale since they were more readily and locally availably.

Do you really see detectors at yard sales?

w

It's even more weird because I've used an explorer that long. I was out for my first hunt the other day and there might be a simple way to know if you know your detector as well as you're going to, or still have a way to go. In my first few years it always took several hunts to get my ears back to feel like I was starting to get in the groove again, where is now I didn't swing for over 4 months and it was like I hadn't even stopped. It's been many years I've used the same settings too, and I love the feeling of normal. I could really see myself using an explorer for the next 10 years because I'm pretty sure no other detector can do all the things that I like about it.

The older style whites coinmasters 1, 2, and 3 can still hold their own as well as many of the older non-umax model tesoros.

I still hunt with my old Teknetic 9000 that is probably over thirty years old. I'll never get rid of it.

How do you clean the inside of it?I use a vacuum.If you try to open it you may encounter electrical problems later on.

How do you clean the inside of it?I use a vacuum.If you try to open it you may encounter electrical problems later on.

I've never opened it. Once in a while I use come of the canned air like they clean computer things and spray the inside through a couple of small holes in the battery compartment. I do it from a distance so the force isn't that strong. It's sealed pretty well so I never have had to really clean it.

I have a 1988 Whites 6000 DI Pro and it is never wrong. Sometimes these still bring $400 on Ebay. When that needle points to a coin type you now it is there. I love my new E-Trac but like everything else today it is so complicated compared to the simplicity of the 6000. A great machine in the 1980's and still a great machine today!:grin:

I have a 1988 Whites 6000 DI Pro and it is never wrong. Sometimes these still bring $400 on Ebay. When that needle points to a coin type you now it is there. I love my new E-Trac but like everything else today it is so complicated compared to the simplicity of the 6000. A great machine in the 1980's and still a great machine today!:grin:

I had a 6000 Di that I sold to a friend so that I could get my Tek 9000. I wish that I still had it too. I was a great machine and easier to learn than my Tek. Like my Tek, I had it converted to a hip-mount. My friend was supposed to have sold it back to me if he got tired of it, but he sold it to a stranger without telling me.

Thats what my one friend swings and I see him pull great target after great target. He's had it so long and he just knows it so well. I keep trying to talk him into a new V3i or Etrac but he wont budge. I've been watching them on Ebay myself and yes, $400-450 regularly.

Back
Top Bottom