• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lake Hunting?

STAG15

Hey all....I had some questions about water hunting.

Unexpectedly I have an opportunity to do some lake hunting this weekend.

But I know nothing about it. My normal fare is parks, playgrounds and old houses and my gear is set up for that.

I just tossed my scuba booties and the kitchen colender into the back of the car, thinking I might need them, and it occured to me...why not just ask the forum?

So here I am.

It's a mud-and-rock shored lake...waterline is way down, leaving some good flats for semi dry to wet mud...and some dry dirt up near the grassline.

(In colorado this is what passes for a beach)

I am thinking I would be sweeping along the waterline or thereabouts? It's not sandy enough for a scoop, so I am adding a folding camp shovel to my kit for this trip, in case I need something broader than the lesche

I am using an F75 ... not waterproof...

Anyone out there have any tips on things I should bring with me into the fight for this?

"Talk to me, Goose!" :-)

I like that kind of hunting & it makes for easy digging, Have you looked at any old maps to see if anything was there in the past..

Jack hi!
I have not done any research...it's a man-made lake, but it is supposedly a wealth of lost baubles from swimmers, boaters, waders, drowners, etc...

I really need to get into the museum though and do some serious research...
It's like "sharpening the saw", as some people say...I haven't done enough...
Been too busy diggin... :-)

Why would you want to risk ruining a land machine in the water? just takes a few drops in the electronics or batteries to ruin your day...

Im not going to take it in the water. Just at the edge.
But I have not dug in this kind of stuff before...not sure what to expect..

Im not going to take it in the water. Just at the edge.
But I have not dug in this kind of stuff before...not sure what to expect..

Sorry... my eyes glazed over where you said lake hunting ;) don't slip in the mud :D

Why would you want to risk ruining a land machine in the water? just takes a few drops in the electronics or batteries to ruin your day...

My thoughts exactly...It is REALLY hard to hunt the water or even the shoreline with a detector that isn't waterproof. What do you do with it when your digging? I tried - doesn't work. I have heard of some modifications to units to make them more "water friendly" - such as a chest mounted setup and one that a person "waterproofed" in a case themselves - but still...

MS

I can't wait to water dectect...just takes a slip in the mudd to know what not to do..HH

Back
Top Bottom