Friday Lake hunting Fun

minereader

Friday water hunting Fun

Went to the water yesterday with my old detecting buddy, and he hasn't hunted any in about 7 years. He played a couple of jokes on me(showing a couple of HIS rings, saying that he had just found them). I was picking up some coins and junk jewelry, nothing great. His batteries died and he took my truck to get some new ones. When he got back, he proceeded out into the lake, and got a signal. He motioned for me to come over and see, and he was holding a 14k yellow gold ring that appeared to have a 1-karat diamond, with 4 smaller diamonds. It was a man's size 11 ring. Well, he "dogged" me about this ring for the duration of the hunt, bragging and such. I took him and his find by the local jewelry store, telling him they could check the stones and tell him immediately what it was worth. I had a "feeling" his bubble would get burst with the appraisal. The lady in the shop had an electronic "gizmo" that sent a light beam into the stones, saying it would show "red" for diamond, nothing for glass or CZ. Well, it showed that the stones were "junk" She then demonstrated the gizmo on a real diamond, and it was fascinating. I could hardly keep a straight face afterwards, laughing at his back-firing joke. He thought he had a 2500.00 ring. That was a fun day digging.

I know! Back in the good old days, when you found a 14k gold ring, it usually had a compatable stone. Now, you don't really know until you have it checked out. It's always fun to see gold shining in the scoop(which happens less for me than it used to).

Not only are the stones not real but now you can't even trust the 14k stamp on jewelry as some of the members on the forum have demonstrated lately.

Back
Top Bottom