Safe searches

davemercier

Hey everyone, i hope you're all living the dream in your searches. I'm looking for opinions on what you all think about selecting parks etc in smaller towns as opposed to larger cities in order to reduce the risk of being accosted by unsavory types. I do not wish to appear to be judgmental against anyone, i just want to be careful as a senior in my choices of where i wander alone.

Hey everyone, i hope you're all living the dream in your searches. I'm looking for opinions on what you all think about selecting parks etc in smaller towns as opposed to larger cities in order to reduce the risk of being accosted by unsavory types. I do not wish to appear to be judgmental against anyone, i just want to be careful as a senior in my choices of where i wander alone.

In my nearly 45 yrs of this, I have never been accosted by an "unsavory type" when md'ing in a park. No-more-so than you might encounter "unsavory types" if you were there to fly a kite, take a walk, etc.... So I'm not sure what types parks you have in mind. Perhaps ones in super blighted areas ?

Otherwise, you're in no more danger "md'ing parks", than anyone else is who is the run-of-mill park goer/user.

Well, I live in a fairly small town with many small parks and no really big parks and have not felt any reason for concern detecting by myself. The small parks are easier to see what's going on in the whole area so that is an advantage.

Now no area is completely crime free so I do use common sense and stay alert, but I'm sure it's a lot safer than large parks in big cities. Also I am sure some cities have higher crime rates than other cities.

My usual travel range for detecting areas don't extend to the nearest big city so I have no experience yet with detecting in highly populated areas.

While I wouldn't mind having a hunting buddy to go detecting with I have not yet had one and have always had to detect by myself, and while my wife understands I have an interest in detecting, she has not wanted to tag along yet, of course she does have a busy schedule.

Again, as far as large cities, some parks could be very safe, and other parks might be in higher crime areas, you would need to research the crime rate for the areas you are considering.

I can appreciate what you are saying though, there might be some areas you might want to avoid feeling like some criminals might view a senior as an easy target in a high crime area.

Keep your head on a swivel and your shoes tied tight. Also don't hunt at night. These are the basics.

I hunt a park in a neighborhood. Not the classiest of neighborhoods. A gentleman will come out of his home and inquire as to what i am doing. I tell him and he just says i want to keep the neighborhood safe. I tell him that i appreciate that and hope he keeps his eyes open while i am there so that some unsavory character does not come after me. He just smiles and goes back in his home.

Back
Top Bottom