Day trip to Knightsville, UT today

Splix76

I am taking a PTO day to burn down my PTO bank at work. I wasn't sure where to head until I stumbled across an old foundation on Google Earth near Eureeka, UT. Using an old picture of the town and google earth surface view, I believe I have found the towns layout. The school foundation and mountain back drops are lined up quite well. I will try to report back this evening on any significant finds. I am hoping for an old buffalo nickel or indian head penny can be found near the school.

old-pic.jpg
modern.jpg

Great sleuthing work. Great photo comparisons. That's eye-candy dream site for sure ! I know there's a lot of md'rs in Utah who "do their homework". So I'd be surprised if this hasn't been hammered. But let us know how you do !

No sooner had I posted this than a friend called saying they were COVId positive, we were around them last week. Now my nose hurts and I am not using PTO in the worst way, stuck at home. :(

I still can hit this site this weekend I hope. Disappointed today, COVID sucks.

Be aware of your health, be careful out there!
Hope you find something there when you can.
No coin is worth your life.

COVID tests negative, no symptoms on anyone in the house. It looks like we were not exposed after all, but we were within 24 hours of it, which is a bit scary.

I hope to revisit this trip over the weekend. I was looking at some old aerial photos from 1938 of the area. I am concerned with the amount of soil change between then and now, some things may be way to deep to ever be found with a detector.

There was an old baseball diamond and out buildings that is no longer there in Eureeka, I may target that area if the school house is a bust early on.

Good luck out there! Not sure how populated your area is but posting obvious photos like that may lead to someone unwanted claim jumping your site and taking advantage of your research!

Ok, what happened to the town? How do towns just disappear and all houses are gone. Kinda weird... Good luck am really curious on what you find.

Ok, what happened to the town? How do towns just disappear and all houses are gone. Kinda weird... Good luck am really curious on what you find.

From what I understand most buildings are moved to lower taxes. A structure always increases the tax value of land. It could have been wildfire as well. I know that the buildings in Dividend, UT were moved in the 50's for tax reasons, but I don't know why Knightsville was cleared out.

Still no firm time to visit the site, hoping that Sunday, Oct 4th works out for me this week. There is a ton of land to cover out there. I had one person reach out already, if others are interested this could be a fun UT detector day trip event.

From what I understand most buildings are moved to lower taxes. A structure always increases the tax value of land. It could have been wildfire as well. I know that the buildings in Dividend, UT were moved in the 50's for tax reasons, but I don't know why Knightsville was cleared out.

Thank you, guess my brain wasn't in gear. I know in my area they moved a town because of flooding etc. Senior moment lol

COVID tests negative, no symptoms on anyone in the house. It looks like we were not exposed after all, but we were within 24 hours of it, which is a bit scary.

I hope to revisit this trip over the weekend. I was looking at some old aerial photos from 1938 of the area. I am concerned with the amount of soil change between then and now, some things may be way to deep to ever be found with a detector.

There was an old baseball diamond and out buildings that is no longer there in Eureeka, I may target that area if the school house is a bust early on.

I work in the medical field in a pediatric office. I have had to be tested 5 times.....i know how you feel!..lol

Good luck. Those are great photos. Friends of mine got lucky at a similar site and pulled 1/2 dimes, seated quarters and half’s plus an amazing gold rush buckle.

Back
Top Bottom