What Should I Do?

LoneDigger

Here's my dilemma.
I found an old farm house location and I don't have anyone to ask permission. I always get permission unless it's public land.

The land is in a trust for someone in a city 4 hours away. It's just an investment for them - instead of putting their money in the bank they put it in land. I have the person's name and assume the trust is managing it for them.

Through the local co-op i found out the farmer is a corporation that farms over 10,000 leased acres in the tri-state area and has operations all over the Midwest, the headquarters is on the east coast. The farm equipment is kept about 20 miles away and everyone there are just workers with no authority. It's not your father's farm anymore.

Should I just go for it, it's on a one lane back road with the closest neighbor is 3/4-mile away. The buildings are torn down and just large trees are left and the workers are using the property to enter and exit the field. The only reason it isn't all field is because of the large trees. Where the barns stood is thickets. The beans are harvested and the ground lays idle.

Before (2016)
a.jpg

Present day looking south
IMG_20221028_135431445_HDR.jpg

If you're in Texas I wouldn.t.I believe by Texas law you have to have written permission to be on any private land for any reason. I,m in Arkansas,our laws aren't as strict.If it was me I.d pick a Sunday morning and have at it.If someone told me to scram,I'd scram.It's that simple for me where I live. Your state trespass law should be easy to research,read up on them to find out if there's any posting requirements for the landowner. At last you could write or e-mail the owner and request permission,it's not likely the trust will grant that. Make your own determination and do what you think best.

It depends on what state you are in. Most of the farmers I ask permission from look at me like why did you bother even asking. Who cares, but I’m in a small town in old America. Things may be different where ever you are.

Echoing, after my long thread posted above, just do it- depending on your state.

Lone-digger, you're asking this question on a forum, where some people think you "need permission" to hunt city parks ? So .... what answer do you think you are going to get ? :roll:

(although I do see some "just go for it" answers so far :laughing: )

Would be my luck to hit the jackpot, find a stash of gold or silver, make national news about the discovery of some long lost national treasure, and have to face the music about why I was out there without permission. Yeah, I worry a lot.

Absolutely agree with 7centsworth.
Will the detecting hurt anything- most likely no. But it is private land.
What if you did find a few good coins right away and wanted to spend multiple days hunting it- it would be much better not looking over your shoulder on every hunt. Are a few Indian head pennies worth the chance of running into some over protective wacko out in such a secluded area? Probably not going to happen but crazy stuff does every day. Risk/Reward not worth it in my opinion.

Agree with 7centsworth, graybeard, and charliet84. Here's a very simple argument to stay off of private property unless you have permission:

1. It is wrong to take someone's property without their consent. Property includes pull tabs, pennies, silver coins, jewelry, etc.
2. When metal detecting on private land without permission, you are taking someone's property without their consent.
3. I don't think I need to spell it out any more.

I didn't get into this hobby to pursue theft for my own entertainment (I hope you didn't either). If you can't get permission, then you can't get permission. There are plenty of places to metal detect, so look somewhere else.

NO! Unless you get permission from the person on the title, stay off that land, no matter that "Mr Know-it-all" will tell you go for it. It is NOT easier to ask forgiveness than permission. You could lose your gear, your freedom, or even your life. You seem to have some info that will start getting you to where you need to be. Use it and do it the right way...
:cool3:

If the owner cared so much as to invest the land then he has an interest in it. This could turn into a bonanza for you if gone about the right way. Go out of your way and seek permission from the owner. Explain that you are trying to save some history. Maybe even build a shadow box of some finds of each property. He may be interested in history and greenlight all his properties for you to hunt. Hopefully you get to know him on a small personal level. If not , you tried your best and move on to somewhere else.

I realize that this thread was originally from November, so it's possible that the OP has already reached a conclusion.

However, since the thread is still active, I just thought I'd mention that I agree with @Chroma and others who shared similar thoughts. The old adage rings true that "it's never right to do wrong for right to come about;" and, from my perspective, it clearly would be wrong to take from someone else's property without permission. So for myself, I would hold to obtaining permission before detecting private land, like you mentioned you usually would. (Personally, as a believer in Christ, I'd prefer to miss out on the detecting opportunity if it meant honoring Him instead.) But on the metal detecting level, one thing I appreciate about my fellow detectorists & this forum is their efforts to maintain the integrity of the hobby... and in a way, perhaps that's part of what makes the detecting community unique. Whether it's asking permission before detecting, or returning someone's lost wedding band, I appreciate seeing detectorists who act on what's right, even when it means personal loss. It's the honorable thing to do, and it helps preserve the integrity of all of us who participate in the hobby. So that's my take on it; thanks for reading, and let us know what you've decided! :grin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom