Park Hunt Planned

Bebo

Good day all! I'm planning my first outing (aside from my own yard). I'm planning to work a local, public park with baseball and soccer fields, along with a shelter or two. I'm going to set my sensitivity to low since I'm new to the hobby. Any ideas where I should start would be welcome and helpful! :D

Grass areas where people congregate, not in the ball fields themselves.

You might also try just "probing" for targets using a screw driver with a long thin shaft. Digging in a public park can draw unwanted attention at times.

Thank you for your advice. I was able to go out yesterday for a lunchtime search and had a very enjoyable time. Found several pop-tops, some fence wire, a screw, paperclip, thumbtack, and what appears to be bolt of some sort. I also used up two cheap 9v batteries. Used a short screwdriver as a probe and made sure to leave the ground looking as good, if not better than I found it. Thanks again for your help!

Thank you for your advice. I was able to go out yesterday for a lunchtime search and had a very enjoyable time. Found several pop-tops, some fence wire, a screw, paperclip, thumbtack, and what appears to be bolt of some sort. I also used up two cheap 9v batteries. Used a short screwdriver as a probe and made sure to leave the ground looking as good, if not better than I found it. Thanks again for your help!

You are hooked now! :D The good stuff will come! :yes:

Try detecting also on the shady side of larger trees, where people sit or lie down in the heat of the day, spilling the contents of pockets. Look also for where there used to be a large tree (a stump or depression or actual former trees from historical aerial photos) and do the same.

Depends on your goals and the park.

If it is an old park, where there was once silver, it will be hunted out. In this situation, start from the edges. Most newbies go to a park, go to the middle, find nothing, go home discouraged. This can lead to some older coins on the edges still to be recovered. You will typically need higher sensitivity or a "deep silver" program on your machine to find these.

If you are looking for modern coins or jewelry, then along the sidelines of the sports fields. People sit on those awkward folding chairs in sweat pants, and all sorts of stuff falls out of their pockets.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom