What does "Scales" means on an 1877 map?

philber

I'm looking at n 1877 map and I see the word Scales next to a black dot on the map. At first I thought it might be a person named Scales and that was their house, but I see the same word Scales shown on several other areas of the map and it never shows a first name, so I am thinking it is something else, but what? The square dot and the word/name "Scales" is shown next to a road or highway, not railroad tracks. The nearest town is not a metropolis, so I cant see the need for a large number of weighing scales to regulate commerce (did they even have weigh scales on roads back then, or is that more a modern thing?) Anyway, anyone know what Scales means ona map? Its from historicmaporks and they dont have any sort of legend with definitions of what various symbols and words mean. Which brings up a new question - anyone know where I can find such a legend for deciphering terms and symbols on old maps (kinda more specific to historicmapworks, since googling such a thing brings up innumerable responses)

Thanks

scales.jpgYour gonna find silver, lots of it, its gonna be huge!

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 220
I would say Country Dirt Kid has the answer - farm scales. I was surprised at the number of them in a somewhat close area. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom