Research

MasonDixonMding

Elite Member
“Research is the best way to find old sites.” I have read this on this forum and I agree! But it’s not the only way. I have two very good old sites. The first one I did some research and a lot of searching and found a virgin site. The other site I did no research. I found it looking for civil war camps. There are no documented camp sites on the property I was on. I was thinking a small group of soldiers could have camp along the road. That might not be documented. In stead of finding lead and camp items I started hearing nails. (lots of them) this site is not on any map that I can find. This site also is virgin!

So I contend if you have a large permission and have hit all of the researched spots. Try some educated guesses as to where there may have been activity and do some quick recon searches. On the ground research.

Even after 50 years for researching my area I still find new amazing sites. Just a few weeks ago I found out about McCoy Airfield which was in use from 1927 to 1934 before they opened our current airport. I even have pictures of Charles Lindburgh there in 1928 when he christened it a part of the continental airways.

Haven't hunted it yet because I'm still closing in on the exact location and getting permission.

Attachments

• mccoy-field-1.jpg
    mccoy-field-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Lindberg-1928.jpg
    Lindberg-1928.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 284
  • mccoy-field-2.jpg
    mccoy-field-2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 285
  • mccoy-field-4.jpg
    mccoy-field-4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 276
I have a GPS that tells me the Long/Lat of the place & go above and look at older Satellite, etc. I knew where a 1 room School was in the woods & it showed the Satellite picture of the building, it's picture was 1950 ~ or so. The old Topo maps also showed where old houses were that are gone now, around this school

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

My research often includes just driving the back roads, looking for spots that look appealing to picnic at. Around here in Minnesota, most rural roads follow about the same path they have since they were made, so i try to imagine being in a Horse and Buggy looking for a good place to pull over!

Back
Top Bottom