Is Detecting, Moderate-Intensity Exercise?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I'm supposed to be getting moderate-intensity exercise for my health. Is metal detecting that kind of exercise? I'm talking about 1 to 2 hours of detecting flat land parks and public places. It sure seems more fun that riding a bike or walking or running.

Does metal detecting count as moderate-intensity exercise?

I'm supposed to be getting moderate-intensity exercise for my health. Is metal detecting that kind of exercise? I'm talking about 1 to 2 hours of detecting flat land parks and public places. It sure seems more fun that riding a bike or walking or running.

If your being chased by Dogs or thugs it becomes high intensity, otherwise it
would be considered low level.

Here's my take on hunting beaches. If you are swinging and walking a zigzag for 7 miles and not digging because of no targets , it is high intensity. But not fun. If you are digging a 20x100 foot section of beach with an incoming tide and targets are nonstop , it is a high intensity workout. And it's a blast ! Anything in-between is no intensity at all.

If you want a good workout and you're near the ocean or Gulf of Mexico, get into water hunting and stay about mid torso deep. That'll give you a workout, especially if you do it for 8 hours like I do...

Its right up there with Landscaping or Gardening. MD heavy rooted hard pack ground will give you a workout. I have to walk far on the beaches to get to a good spot sometimes, because i know a lot of people with metal detectors dont have it in them to go the extra mile.

Metal detecting is not as much of an exercise as some people think it is. Low level at best. Walking a couple of miles a day is much better.

I'm in the same boat in that I need to stay fit. At 66 with COPD I find metal detecting quite an intense exercise myself. Tot lots, not so much, but hunting those deep coins are a good workout, and walking through a plowed and or muddy field with 10lbs of dirt on your shoes for hours is no doubt a good cardio workout.

I wear a 02 VibeTM wrist monitor that tells me my oxygen level, heart rate, and the number of steps I have taken. It then sends it to my iPhone where I can analyze it later. I have no doubt that metal detecting is very good exercise.

Attachments

• Detecting.jpg
    Detecting.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 224
I would say it’s relative to your age and current physical condition. I am 51 and the only “exercise” part is the usual 2 or 3 mile hike I take through the mountains to get to the cellar holes. Once I am detecting it’s usually a slow pace and not even low intensity. I don’t water hunt so I have no opinion on that.

it really depends on the type of detecting you are doing coin hunting in parks and tot lot sand boxes not so much, if you are traipsing through thick woods and climbing mountains it can be very very strenuous, hunting for gold nuggets is probably the most strenuous of all because of the terrain and elements you detect for gold in

I would say it’s relative to your age and current physical condition. I am 51 and the only “exercise” part is the usual 2 or 3 mile hike I take through the mountains to get to the cellar holes. Once I am detecting it’s usually a slow pace and not even low intensity. I don’t water hunt so I have no opinion on that.

Exactly this. I’m in far worse shape now than I was five years ago when I took up the hobby, largely because all the free time I used to spend working out is now spent on detecting instead. I’ve lost muscle mass, and gained 15 pounds around my middle. For my age (almost 52) and overall physical condition, land-based detecting doesn’t even come close to qualifying as a work out. Like Detector, I also have a watch that tracks heart rate, etc, and it barely registers above a resting heart rate when I’m out detecting - I see more cardio benefits when I walk the dog for 20 mins according to the watch. Sure, detecting is better than sitting on the couch, but for me, it maybe qualifies as low intensity at best, simply because I’m moving around as opposed to sitting stationary.

Anyway, that said, there are a couple of ways to tell if metal detecting is “moderate intensity” for you. The Cleveland Clinic says that an activity can be considered moderate intensity if it raises your heart rate 50 or 60% above your resting heart rate. But if you don’t have a device that reads heart rate, the Clinic also says you can use the “talk test”. During moderate intensity exercise, you should be able to hold a conversation without feeling like you’re gasping for air, but talking will be a little more difficult than usual. If you still trust the CDC, they explain moderate intensity as you should be able to hold a conversation, but not be able to sing your favorite song.

Detecting is better than sitting on the couch watching tv, but not a real workout.
I detect and I ride a roadbike and mountainbike. I don't run anymore because of my knees but cycling is no problem, and more fun.

Here's my take on hunting beaches. If you are swinging and walking a zigzag for 7 miles and not digging because of no targets , it is high intensity. But not fun. If you are digging a 20x100 foot section of beach with an incoming tide and targets are nonstop , it is a high intensity workout. And it's a blast ! Anything in-between is no intensity at all.

At 60 years old, after 3-4 hours on the beach hunting aggressively I am spent after I get done. Your mileage may vary.

At 60 years old, after 3-4 hours on the beach hunting aggressively I am spent after I get done. Your mileage may vary.

I guess I'm lucky... I just came back from Panama City Beach (home) to New Orleans (temporarily home) and while there I did a 6 hour chest deep water hunt...at 66 years old. And the last previous water hunt was in February. My usual water hunt is between 6 and 8 hours, but I was hunting 4 or 5 days a week and walking 10 miles a day at work before I retired in 201.

20221027_115248.jpg

Pcola Bch.jpg

20221022_145500.jpg

I guess I'm lucky... I just came back from Panama City Beach (home) to New Orleans (temporarily home) and while there I did a 6 hour chest deep water hunt...at 66 years old. And the last previous water hunt was in February. My usual water hunt is between 6 and 8 hours, but I was hunting 4 or 5 days a week and walking 10 miles a day at work before I retired in 201.

Well you are lucky!!!

In my case, the beach is a lot steeper and way rougher. Rough enough to kill you most of the time. So consistently getting beat by waves takes its toll. Also, usually never below 92 degrees with full sun. Nice pics!!

Back
Top Bottom