Gut instincts

Chipk

Elite Member
FREE METAL DETECTING SERVICES:

I received a frantic request for help finding a lost item, last night, and I did something I’d only done once before.

I said no.

At first I agreed to try today but the more I thought about it the fishier the request became. I asked them some questions and the answers did not help.

The woman lost a cell phone.

Off of Phillips Highway.

They said they knew where it would be. In a 10 foot square. Later they said it couldn’t be more than 15 feet from the road.

They said it probably landed in water. In a ditch.

Originally the phone would ring but now it wouldn’t.

They said they searched with a cheap metal detector but it didn’t work. They needed a professional.

She had called me 3 times but I didn’t have my phone with me. Finally I saw a text message.

She offered to pay me which I refused. I asked her if the phone was even worth the effort and she said it was a $250 phone, which isn’t much these days.

I became curious as to why they couldn’t find a phone in such a small area. And if the phone would even work. Theywere evasive.

Then I wanted to know how a phone ended up on the side of Phillips Hwy. they said it flew from the car.

Now Iwondered if they left it on top of the car. If so it might have flown into traffic and would certainly be destroyeed. They didn’t respond.

Then I asked if it was thrown from the car.

They said “sort of”.

That made my mind up for me. Not only did it start to sound like a set up but 1) it would be an hour drive, both ways. 2) gas ain’t cheap. 3) Phillips is a dangerous road. I’d have to park near the road as well as walk alongside of it. 4) the phone was likely destroyed, 5) if they were accurate, there’s no way you couldn’t find a newly lost phone in such a small area. Unless you didn’t really look.6) A phone being “sort of” thrown from a car, raises a whole new set of questions.

I can’t shake the idea that there really is a lost phone and I’m uncomfortable that I didn’t help. But these are strange times and danger is everywhere and often well hidden.

Better safe than sorry.

(The other time I refused to help, a mother asked me to look for a gold cross her son lost while jogging.

9 miles.

If you understand the logistics of that request you’d know a project like that could take 2-3 months. That cross could have flown 10 feet in either direction. So 9 miles x 20 feet plus having to check every possible signal. Thanks but no thanks.

I’m still at 34 returns.

You did the right thing. When things don't add up, there's a reason.

You identified multiple red flags. Just one of them would have made me say no.

"Thrown, sort of" probably means some kind of domestic situation. I would give it a pass too.

I would have passed just because of the road hazards. It’s just to dangerous to stop on the side of a busy road. Speeds are to high and to may on the electronics. I think you made a good choice. A $250.00 phone is not worth risking your life.

Good job on the 34 you did help!

You did the right thing in my opinion. Many years ago I ask a lawyer what to do about a sketchy deal that someone proposed to me.

He said if you have the slightest doubts, run like hell in the other directions.

Our gut instincts are usually right.

I agree with the others, even though someone like you might have the heart to help, there are a lot of people out there who do nothing but spend their day trying to figure out how to take advantage of that good nature and rip you off. When they can’t get past the third question without sounding like they’re making it up as they go…goodbye. It doesn’t sound right…small area, newly lost phone. You likely did the right thing by declining. You can’t feel bad about it, self preservation is first.

If it makes your radar go off there's a reason. You made the right choice. It would though be interesting if you knew a club nearby or had 6 or 8 other friends that could go look with you. I think that would likely prevent the danger aspect.. You'd find out quick if you were being played.

Back
Top Bottom