New to me 1919 Hamilton Railroad watch

partyofone

Elite Member
My local jeweler has been looking for a pocket watch for me. He called me the other day and said he had one for me to look at. It’s a 1919 Hamilton 992 21 jewel movement in a Keystone silveroid case. The crystal is original and there are no cracks on the dial. It runs perfectly. I built the stand for it today on my day off.

I am so happy to have found one in such good condition and Made in PA.

Attachments

• E9544167-6244-4D2A-9ED5-B5A4E6DFBF84.jpg
    E9544167-6244-4D2A-9ED5-B5A4E6DFBF84.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 11C3CC41-7542-4CFA-BB56-0649656743BC.jpg
    11C3CC41-7542-4CFA-BB56-0649656743BC.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 8EC9E7F4-1E8A-45CB-B525-699C9DF2EC53.jpg
    8EC9E7F4-1E8A-45CB-B525-699C9DF2EC53.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 231
nice watch! I collect pocket watches, I have yet to get my hands on a decent railroad watch though. Sadly I find most watches cost more to have cleaned/serviced/repaired then they are worth. Still love em though and spend the money anyways to have them in in nice running condition.

I have one like that in 14kt white gold. It still keeps perfect time. I'm just scared I'll damage it to wear it. It has a small lever you have to pull out to set the time at the upper right hand side when you unscrew off the bezel. My dad was at a yard sale 25-30 years ago and bought a box of old watches and junk jewelry for 10 dollars and there were two nice ones in there. He gave one to me. Mine has a chain with a railroad fob on it. If I think about it I'll post a pick of it.
They are nice.

My local jeweler has been looking for a pocket watch for me. He called me the other day and said he had one for me to look at. It’s a 1919 Hamilton 992 21 jewel movement in a Keystone silveroid case. The crystal is original and there are no cracks on the dial. It runs perfectly. I built the stand for it today on my day off.

I am so happy to have found one in such good condition and Made in PA.

Nice watch!

You have exactly 1,111 posts right now…

I remember the Hamilton plant in Lancaster, Pa. I was stationed in Lancaster county when I was a Trooper in the Pa. State Police. When I retired in 1999 they gave me a watch that had my name and time on the job engraved on back...Still working.

Loved seeing your “new to you” pocket watch, partyofone! I really like the beautiful wood display block you made for your Hamilton. VERY nice work! The old watches and clocks are special.

Several of my wife’s relatives worked in the Waltham Watch factory.

I have a 1924 Elgin automobile dash clock that was in a box of old clock stuff my neighbor gave me when she was moving, about 40 years ago. The movement is basically a large pocket watch movement. I had it cleaned and the mainspring replaced. To display it, I made a mahogany wood stand. If you don’t mind me hijacking your thread, I’ll post a couple of photos.

Last edited:
I remember the Hamilton plant in Lancaster, Pa. I was stationed in Lancaster county when I was a Trooper in the Pa. State Police. When I retired in 1999 they gave me a watch that had my name and time on the job engraved on back...Still working.

That's a beautiful watch. And thank you both for your Navy service and your service to the Commonwealth.

Attachments

• IMG_E4424.jpg
    IMG_E4424.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 125
Very nice design and cool display Erik. What type of finish did you use ? I like old pocketwatches. Unfortunately most of the one I find go in the scrap bucket. I dug one once pretty much intact except for the innards were gone. Even the glass was still there. Good job and thanks for sharing. Mark

Nice watch and stand! I find watches and clockworks fascinating. Am somewhat hooked on watch servicing videos on YouTube. I’ve seen so many complete tear downs and assemblies of various watches I want to try it myself. I just lack every bit of equipment needed lol. Could be a hobby less expensive than metal detecting though.. hmmmm🤔

Back
Top Bottom