Nox under water

petejc

Ok guys, I watch the Hoover boys alot. Don't know what everyone thinks about them but I think the videos are pretty good and honest....Anyway was watching one few minutes ago and he was doing a stream or river and when he would find something he would just let go of his Nox 600/800 don't know which and the screen would just go under water and just float there beside him....
I bought a 600 last year and I am ABSOLUTELY afraid to do that...I won't even get it wet. I do submerge the coil and shaft about 2 feet but thats it....
I've heard so much about them leaking ...I just can't afford to buy another machine....Do you Nox guys let yours go under water...Give me some insight...

I never have, even to test the 600 or 800 prior to warranty expiring. I never considered submerging my own body that deep, actually all of my detecting has always been dry unless a light rain pops up. I own several other brands of detectors for the years and zero have been hurt in any rain/wet event, BUT I'm simply not a water hunter.

To each their own. In my younger days? I was like a fish in the water. Had I metal detected back then, waterproof would have certainly been important.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I watch the Hoover boys alot. Don't know what everyone thinks about them but I think the videos are pretty good and honest....Anyway was watching one few minutes ago and he was doing a stream or river and when he would find something he would just let go of his Nox 600/800 don't know which and the screen would just go under water and just float there beside him....
I bought a 600 last year and I am ABSOLUTELY afraid to do that...I won't even get it wet. I do submerge the coil and shaft about 2 feet but thats it....
I've heard so much about them leaking ...I just can't afford to buy another machine....Do you Nox guys let yours go under water...Give me some insight...

Yes, as you saw, lots of people submerge them. Dunk it in the sink while it's still under warranty, and again before the warranty expires. Contact Minelab for replacement/repair if it leaks.

Last edited:
Although I hunt 99% of the time dirt if mine gets muddy and I'm near water I submerge it all the time to wash it. Under the outdoor faucet as well. No worries.

Steve

My 800 went under water and sometimes the control box. No problem for about 1 years.
Then one day in the river I laid it down in the river to dig a target. It was no more than 12 inches in the water for maybe 2 minutes. Then found water behind the display.

Sent it in and was fixed or replaced for free. But since then, never trusted the new or fixed unit. Not a big deal for me, because I rarely hunt in water where I would need to put anything but the coil in the water.

I think it is hit or miss with any Equinox. Some leak, some don't. So they should put in their description and on the box Caution: Some Equinox detectors have been known to leak.

or give a 10 year warranty on leakage.

My Nox stays dry. I’m not really a water hunt anyway. Still my buddy and I were talking about a spot in a creek that used to be a popular swim hole and neither of us were willing to dunk our Noxes.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts....I still think I won't be able to dunk it...Just against my
common sense thinking....I will stiil place coil and couple feet of shaft under water but that will be my limit....Thanks again....Pete

Hundreds of hours with nox's submerged, never a leak. A 3" piece of smaller diameter pool noodle, sliced, edges rounded, put around shaft by arm cuff, then tapped around keeps them nicely buoyant (with detect Ed shafts anyhow). My nox's spent quite a bit of time diving, a couple summers, to 12-16ft and never leaked either.

Why worry if you still have warranty left? I submerge mine all the time.

Because Minelab's warranty service takes time and requires you to be without your machine for a while. Also, their warranty service isn't the best in terms of responsiveness.

rc2125, I know how it is done...I just can't get myself to do it.

mh9162013, I agree with you...that is one of the main reasons I don't do it...It is a pain in the arse for me to pack up ANYTHING and send it back to a company and then to be without it for so long just drives me nuckin futts.

Because Minelab's warranty service takes time and requires you to be without your machine for a while. Also, their warranty service isn't the best in terms of responsiveness.

I sent in my Nox 800 last month. The service was fast and excellent! One week turn around from my house back to my house. Also excellent communication every step of the way. Couldn't ask for more!

I sent in my Nox 800 last month. The service was fast and excellent! One week turn around from my house back to my house. Also excellent communication every step of the way. Couldn't ask for more!

Speak for yourself. My experience hasn't been as good.

I know they're not perfect, so I'm not trying to bash Minelab. But let's be honest, Minelab's customer/warranty service can't hold a candle to Garrett.

I've dunked my Nox 800 numerous times in lakes and rivers. Hunt up to my neck in the lakes and knock-on-wood nary an issue. I bought it largly for that, so I'm not, not going to do it.

Routinely dunk my out-of-warranty Nox in the creek for cleaning. Never an issue. Its been sent in one time and replaced for a broken power button and I think it was only out of my possession for 2 weeks. Totally acceptable turn around time in my eyes. I know, I know, Garrett's service is so much better and faster...blah blah blah.

It’s machine dependent. Appears to leak at times from charging port. (See gigmaster) I have had mine (800) since 2019 and had it submerged multiple times no problem. However the 600 has never been dunked yet and maybe has 20 hrs on it compared to a couple thousand hours on the 800.

Back
Top Bottom