• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Curb strips, law enforcement encounter

I realize the curb strips belong to the city, but I won't dig a strip in front of a house, because the homeowner takes care of the grass in that area.
There are a lot of strips in open areas that I hit, but have been finding them
OVERLOADED with trash in my area.
Still gonna keep hunting till I find the good ones.

I started digging the curb strips in 2020 after reading about the good luck folks have had. Wearing a vest sounds like a good idea although my ghetto sites are ok since I think people just see me as some old crazy white dude looking for change..

I realize the curb strips belong to the city, but I won't dig a strip in front of a house, because the homeowner takes care of the grass in that area.

I'll hunt curb strips in front of a house, but only after getting the homeowner's permission first.

Thats another good point, I dont hunt strips where the grass is nice or well kept. I mostly hunt dirt strips or where the grass is dead and its obvious the homeowner does not care about the strip.

Hey, your first post and I'm going to agree with you wholeheartedly. Wouldn't want someone digging in my manicured grass, so the golden rule applies.

Tried detecting some curb edges today. First time, smaller farming town dating back 100+ years.

About 1 hour into it, a guy walking a dog asked if we had a permit. He was wierd and was smiling real big so I thought he was joking. He walked passed me before I could answer.

Short time later 2 city police pull up. Says some guy complained we were digging on his property. I explained I was metal detecting only on on curb strips which are public easements. The first officer said he didn't know the particulars about that but the caller claimed he owns the curb strip. He seemed pretty hesitant about letting me continue.

The second officer, the sergeant, stepped in and said naw those curb strips are city property far as he knows. Said his dad used to detect on beaches and found lots of cool rings. Asked if I found anything good and let me go back to detecting.

That's it, brief encounter with local law enforcement in a small town. Apparently not a regular call for service.

Found some coppers, and plenty of clad, no silver. But there's a bunch more streets to hit.

First time detecting curb strips, and got the cops called on me. Should I expect this every time?

short answer is no! been hunting strips for years people will watch ya but never been told to "scram". the cop is correct "most" easements belong to the city.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Mean People

I’ve had similar encounters as well. One karen must of called cause as soon as the cops said carry on she came out pissed. I told her to piss off since I wasn’t even on her strip and she told me to be careful cause some are armed. I told her so am I. Lady was a complete female dog. Anyhow I finished that block and saluted her on the way out. 9/10 it’s a woman and most have tons of political and equality signs in there yard. At this point I actually look forward to the confrontation as I find joy in there petty anger.

Political and equality signs. I sometimes see BLM signs too. People like that make my skin crawl. I've had the cops called on me twice in ten years of detecting. The amount of good finds in parkways justifies a few cops responding. Treat them with respect and you get respect back.

So, I haven't done many curb strips. Hit my first one about a month ago, have spent maybe four hours total on them. They have been productive though. I like them! But I've been sticking to abandoned/vacant type strips.

Today, had the police called on me while detecting a curb strip. Not even any houses on the side of the street I was on.

The police were cool though. Told me I was on public property, said I appeared to be respectful, and that some do-gooder must have had nothing better to do than call them. They chatted me up about what kind of finds I get etc. Gave me a fist bump, said it looked like fun, and told me to detect that strip all I wanted to!

And, that curb strip gave up a small .925 and a small 10K ring. Nice!

thumbnail_IMG_0728.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0727.jpg

- Dave

nuisance call for them! (aka) pain in da ass!
nice hits!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom