Back pack/gear bag

basstrackerman

Elite Member
Just curious what back pack or gear bags people are using for their detectors / gear. I use a kobalt tool kit bag that fits everything except my deus. Was thinking about a back pack or gear bag that was long enough for the deus and still have room for finds pouch, belt, digger, gloves etc.

Just curious what back pack or gear bags people are using for their detectors / gear. I use a kobalt tool kit bag that fits everything except my deus. Was thinking about a back pack or gear bag that was long enough for the deus and still have room for finds pouch, belt, digger, gloves etc.

To be honest, I don't use a gear bag....I have a large heavy duty rubber box/crate in the back of my small SUV that holds most of my stuff and, I either simply place the detector over the top, or on longer trips, it's strapped horizontally to the rear of the back seats...My shovel lays across the floor with a bag overing the head...

That said, I wouldn't mind a padded bag to hold a couple of spare coils and shafts and will probably pick up something up when I find a suitable item...

I am using a 5 gallon bucket from a big box hardware store. I use bungees to keep it upright.

Holds everything but the longhandled beach scoop.

I am using a 5 gallon bucket from a big box hardware store. I use bungees to keep it upright.

Holds everything but the longhandled beach scoop.

I used to use a bucket also.. I switched to a tool bag that fits everything except the detector. My 18" digger fits as well. But for traveling in my truck ,say a few hours to a day what would you use?

I used to use a bucket also.. I switched to a tool bag that fits everything except the detector. My 18" digger fits as well. But for traveling in my truck ,say a few hours to a day what would you use?

Not sure what I would recommend, but I would not recommend storing a shovel in the same case/bag as my detector or spare coils...I know two people who have had coils damaged that way even though the interior of thier bags was padded...

Xp make a really nice looking rucksack, and there are are lots of tactical style rifle case that would work too....

Not sure what I would recommend, but I would not recommend storing a shovel in the same case/bag as my detector or spare coils...I know two people who have had coils damaged that way even though the interior of thier bags was padded...

Xp make a really nice looking rucksack, and there are are lots of tactical style rifle case that would work too....

There are thick dividers inside my tool bag so the shovel and diggers are separate. But my detector does not fit inside the bag so no way they can be damaged. If I had a bag to hold everything then in would be sure to have a separate compartment for diggers.

Attachments

• 20211203_135338~2.jpg
    20211203_135338~2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Lacrosse equipment bags make great metal detecting gear bags.
Many styles/types to choose from.
Various pockets, zippers, waterproof areas, velcro loops making it easy to attach a couple detectors to the outside of the bag.

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile. I believe it really depends on the situation.

For example:
1. coin/relic hunting around town
2. Remote areas, day only
3. Camping/overnight/hiking etc

For general detecting, a daypack and a typical detector bag should be fine. I'm not sure how useful it would be to strap the detector to or carry it in a backpack. Vehicle shouldn't be that far away, right? Altough where I live, vehicle break ins are very common. If you leave anything visible in your car at a beach, trailhead, or around town, it will get broken into sooner or later. So I could see not wanting to leave anything in the car at all.

If you have a Deus, like others said the answer is XP's 280 backpack. It's made exactly for that. I don't have a Deus, but I've considered getting the bag. If you want an all in one bag that doesn't require breaking the detector down completely, like Pete said a tactical rifle bag should work. You'd just need to get one long enough. I think they're probably the way to go if you bring a second detector. Garrett's camo bag is probably not much different than one.

For something out in the sticks, like say nugget detecting and maybe some gold panning, a 5 gallon and a pack of some sort is probably the way to go. I'm considering attaching a 5 gallon to an external pack frame that has a shelf. Would be useful for rockhounding or hauling trash as well. Probably a matter of whether you want your hands free or how much other stuff you'll be bringing back. Ideally, you'd have someone else haul it!

For anything that requires camping, a large ruck with the detector broken down inside it, and a smaller packable pack. In this situation, you'd establish a campsite then use the small pack for the general area etc When I was in the Army that's basically how we'd do it.

Would love to hear other's thoughts on these.

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile. I believe it really depends on the situation.

For example:
1. coin/relic hunting around town
2. Remote areas, day only
3. Camping/overnight/hiking etc

For general detecting, a daypack and a typical detector bag should be fine. I'm not sure how useful it would be to strap the detector to or carry it in a backpack. Vehicle shouldn't be that far away, right? Altough where I live, vehicle break ins are very common. If you leave anything visible in your car at a beach, trailhead, or around town, it will get broken into sooner or later. So I could see not wanting to leave anything in the car at all.

If you have a Deus, like others said the answer is XP's 280 backpack. It's made exactly for that. I don't have a Deus, but I've considered getting the bag. If you want an all in one bag that doesn't require breaking the detector down completely, like Pete said a tactical rifle bag should work. You'd just need to get one long enough. I think they're probably the way to go if you bring a second detector. Garrett's camo bag is probably not much different than one.

For something out in the sticks, like say nugget detecting and maybe some gold panning, a 5 gallon and a pack of some sort is probably the way to go. I'm considering attaching a 5 gallon to an external pack frame that has a shelf. Would be useful for rockhounding or hauling trash as well. Probably a matter of whether you want your hands free or how much other stuff you'll be bringing back. Ideally, you'd have someone else haul it!

For anything that requires camping, a large ruck with the detector broken down inside it, and a smaller packable pack. In this situation, you'd establish a campsite then use the small pack for the general area etc When I was in the Army that's basically how we'd do it.

Would love to hear other's thoughts on these.

I think people have to develop a system that suits them and their circumstances...Like most folk here in the UK I don't hunt any urban environments at all...I personally don't do beaches either. Most of my detecting is on farm land around a 15 to 20 drive from my house, some a bit closer and some further...

When I get to a site, I can generally park close by so don't need to carry much with me...I use a US Army ALICE belt and suspenders to carry my digging trowel, finds pouch, pinpointer and a some hand towel..At the rear is a British Army style waterbottle pouch which holds either a small waterbottle or a small thermos flask, and a bit of lunch..next to it is a "rollup" dump pouch that I can unroll and use to carry anything extra ie light rain jacket or another water bottle depending on circumstances..

Everything else I might need generally stays in my SUV. I might return to it for lunch or I might not...I don't ever leave detectors, coils or anything expensive over night in my vehicle, as even where I live it will get stollen sooner or later..

One of the most handy items I carry in my vehicle is a rubber mat about 30" x 24" ...in wet weather, I pop it on the ground and it gives me somewhere dry to stand while I change boots and waterproofs ect so no more wet socks before the days detecting even starts! lol

One of the most handy items I carry in my vehicle is a rubber mat about 30" x 24" ...in wet weather, I pop it on the ground and it gives me somewhere dry to stand while I change boots and waterproofs ect so no more wet socks before the days detecting even starts! lol

I don't know if they're easily available in the UK, but there are surf wetsuit changing mats which serve a similar purpose. They have a drawcord and handles, so after changing back into your clothes it turns into a wet bag which also prevents sand/dirt etc from spreading around the vehicle. They usually only run about 20 USD. Pretty handy.

Back
Top Bottom