Time for a change?

RonsterDugan

My 20+ year old Garrett GTI-2500 has served me well. But the last time I sent it to Garrett for updates/repair, it bearly lasted through their 90 day warranty. So its time for an upgrade. I have accummulated a decent selection of accessories, so am thinking about a new 2500. This is the only metal detector I have ever used, been happy with it, but can't get the newer technology out of my head, particularly the XP DEUS for an example.
Would you dump the Garrett Accessories for the newer tech, or stick with old but new faithful 2500?

Welcome from Dodge City.

Adapting to the new technology can be a challenge of its own. Garrett detectors are very rock solid in performance and stability in my experience. By that I mean none of the chatter that you get with most very sensitive new tech machines. The new tech, say the Deus, will get you amazing depth & performance, but at the price of the stability, you're probably used to with a Garrett.

I guess it depends on how you obtain joy from metal detecting.

Part of it is making great finds. Part of it is using the machine and the process it takes to make great finds. How much of each applies to you?

Perhaps an XP Deus or Equinox 800 can get you more finds than the GTI 2500, but if you're frustrated and miserable trying to learn either new machine, is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

For example, I think I could be a better detectorist if I used an Equinox 600/800 instead of my AT Max. But would I have more fun using one of those machines? No, I don't think so (I like using AA batteries, I like the AT Max's form factor, I like its coil selection and I prefer its better waterproofing). So combined with the fact that I saved a few hundred bucks buying a used AT Max instead of a new/used Equinox, I went with the AT Max

They still make new GTI-2500s?? My buddy had one of those. The version that talks. If I were looking to replace one, I would get something more up to date, but I understand staying with what works for you. The learning curve of a new machine can be frustrating. Whatever you decide, keep hunting.

I wouldn't buy 20 year old technology. I probably would be slow to buy a Deus after owning only the 2500 either. There are so many fun, fast and lighter gear these days, bluetooth wireless headphones alone would get me to drop old technology. Jm2c

Almost any of the newer machines will be like a breath of fresh air compared to that old Garrett.

I too have a deus, plenty of preset programs to get you going. It will be like swinging a magic wand to you too. It is fast and deep.

On the other hand, an ORX is fun and is as fast and as deep as the Deus too and not so complicated as far as features go.

Either XP Deus or the XP ORX will run circles around the old Garrett. Faster, lighter and deeper.

Go for it!! Plenty of us to help you along if you have any questions on it too.

Deus/ORX aren’t hard machines to learn. I’d say go for it, like Bigtim 1973 said they’re faster and lighter . You tube videos are way more informative than any written manual ,watch a few videos on how to set it up and off you’ll go.

I had a GTI 2500 for awhile. I liked it quite a lot in spite of its weight and slow recovery speed. In clean ground it did fine and all metal mode was pretty deep.

IMO it isn't close to being the machine that the Deus (or ORX) is - they're both much lighter in weight, much better discrimination, much better at unmasking, and deeper. They also have the option of wireless headphones and can be paired with the MI6 pinpointer. (I own a Deus and an ORX)

The ORX is quite simple to learn/operate. The Deus has a lot more options, but can be quite simple too. The ORX - with wireless headphones and 1 coil - is less expensive than a new GT 2500.

IMO the Deus is the better choice if you're mostly hunting in areas with a lot of modern trash (think aluminum) - because of all the additional options it has. If you mostly hunt areas with iron trash - the ORX will amaze you.

It might help if you search Youtube for videos on both machines. A guy named Gary (don't recall his last name) has done a bunch of videos on both XP machines. There's also a number of videos put out by XP America that are very educational.

If you're really serious about the Deus, get the book put out by Andy Sabisch. It is extremely helpful and informative.

If you're a Garrett fan who doesn't want to stray from the brand, you might want to consider the Apex and or the AT Pro/AT Max.

I do own the Apex and consider it to be an excellent machine. Much faster recovery (vs the 2500) and much lighter in weight. It's also much less expensive (than the 2500) - so you could get several coils, the wireless headphones (fantastic) and a new pinpointer (that works with the wireless headphones) for less than a new 2500.

There are numerous other machine options as well (at or below the budget needed for a new GTI 2500).

Best of luck with whichever machine you choose.

They still make new GTI-2500s?? My buddy had one of those. The version that talks. If I were looking to replace one, I would get something more up to date, but I understand staying with what works for you. The learning curve of a new machine can be frustrating. Whatever you decide, keep hunting.

Mine used to talk until the last service upgrade. Afterwards it no longer talked and never seemed as accurate, or it just didn't seem as good.
https://www.metaldetector.com/ has a new 2500 for sale@ $934.95 The settings and screen are different, but does it still rely on 20 yr old tech? Probably similar.

Thanks everyone, because of your comments and youtube, I am closer to a final decision.

If I went with Apex or the AT Pro/AT Max, would my older coils and
the newest 12" DD coil be compatible? Would I have newer tech with the AT Max even with my older coils?

Otherwise I am leaning towards Deus/ORX if for no other reason than I like the idea swinging half the weight.

Again, thanks everyone for you informative comments. I will let everyone know what I go with, and my learning process if I do go with the newest tech.

I think the only practical allure of the 2500 is that it somehow pairs up with a second coil that allows you to find REALLY big things at great depths, such as looking for a buried car or treasure chest.

But the machine's supposed ability to report on the size of circular targets sounds intriguing.

I do search craigslist from time to time for a used 2500 or 1500.

Mine used to talk until the last service upgrade. Afterwards it no longer talked and never seemed as accurate, or it just didn't seem as good.
https://www.metaldetector.com/ has a new 2500 for sale@ $934.95 The settings and screen are different, but does it still rely on 20 yr old tech? Probably similar.

Thanks everyone, because of your comments and youtube, I am closer to a final decision.

If I went with Apex or the AT Pro/AT Max, would my older coils and
the newest 12" DD coil be compatible?
Would I have newer tech with the AT Max even with my older coils?

Otherwise I am leaning towards Deus/ORX if for no other reason than I like the idea swinging half the weight.

Again, thanks everyone for you informative comments. I will let everyone know what I go with, and my learning process if I do go with the newest tech.

I haven't asked Garrett personally (although you can; they're good about answering coil compatibility questions), but I highly doubt your current coils will work properly with an Apex, AT Pro or AT Max.

I guess it depends on how you obtain joy from metal detecting.

Part of it is making great finds. Part of it is using the machine and the process it takes to make great finds. How much of each applies to you?

Perhaps an XP Deus or Equinox 800 can get you more finds than the GTI 2500, but if you're frustrated and miserable trying to learn either new machine, is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

For example, I think I could be a better detectorist if I used an Equinox 600/800 instead of my AT Max. But would I have more fun using one of those machines? No, I don't think so (I like using AA batteries, I like the AT Max's form factor, I like its coil selection and I prefer its better waterproofing). So combined with the fact that I saved a few hundred bucks buying a used AT Max instead of a new/used Equinox, I went with the AT Max

Great answer.

Your GTI 2500 coils will NOT work with the Apex. I doubt they'd work with an ATPro or ATMax either.

Deus is not hard at all. And weighs just under 2lbs compared to almost 5 lbs. The Garret 2500 is more like 25 year old tech. Outdated for sure. Orx is a slightly scaled down deus. But competes with deus pretty much equal . So having slightly less adjustments in orx compared to deus may be the way to go. I like full tones and pitch on my deus because it helps me old ears hear that good target in the middle of bad ones. The orx is a 3 tone machine and I feel that is it's only downfall. Once you get the deus or orx and play with it for a few days you will never look back. Most of us have been around awhile, me since 1978, and have used all of those older machines. Trust me you won't look back.

If you're a Garrett fan who doesn't want to stray from the brand, you might want to consider the Apex and or the AT Pro/AT Max.

I do own the Apex and consider it to be an excellent machine. Much faster recovery (vs the 2500) and much lighter in weight. It's also much less expensive (than the 2500) - so you could get several coils, the wireless headphones (fantastic) and a new pinpointer (that works with the wireless headphones) for less than a new 2500.
How would you summarize what you especially like about the Apex? Although I'm not in the market for a detector (the Ace 250 works well for me), I'm curious because I do not see many reports from Apex users. The specs of this machine look great to me, but it would be nice to hear some first-hand reviews. :grin:

I wouldn't buy 20 year old technology. I probably would be slow to buy a Deus after owning only the 2500 either. There are so many fun, fast and lighter gear these days, bluetooth wireless headphones alone would get me to drop old technology. Jm2c[/QUOTE

My most expensive detector I purchased and the best atleast in the water is my excalibur...perhaps 30 year old technology. lol.

Back
Top Bottom