Considering a GPS Machine...

szugelder

I'm thinking about upgrading to a machine with the GPS feature. The only thing I'm finding on a google search is the Minelab CTX 3030. Are there any other makes and models?? The google maps feature is interesting but the one feature I'm looking for is the on-screen display of where I've walked / detected while I'm still in the field, thanks.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a machine with the GPS feature. The only thing I'm finding on a google search is the Minelab CTX 3030. Are there any other makes and models?? The google maps feature is interesting but the one feature I'm looking for is the on-screen display of where I've walked / detected while I'm still in the field, thanks.

FWIW, there is an app for your smartphone and computer called Backcountry Navigator that may fill the bill w/o having to purchase a Garmin or some such. I use it to orienteer into locations with nasty foliage cover or mean terrain. You'll will need to subscribe to it. My daughter loves it and she is a geocache geek and orienteers in Yellowstone National Park.

https://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

You are correct, the CTX is the only one with that capability. As mentioned, you could likely come up with a standalone GPS to use, but if you want it incorporated in the detector itself….the CTX is it.

Man, spending all that money on a ctx for the GPS seems crazy to me ...
As was said I'm sure cell apps with GPS are better ..
Never used a 3030 so I don't know if the GPS app in it are upgradeable..??
If not it's gotta be pretty ancient tech. No?
I do know a guy with a ctx , and from what I remember him saying is in the woods , especially thick woods in summer ..the GPS can have hard time connecting to the sats...as do alot of stand alone GPS

Back
Top Bottom