Advice on detector for water

jlr99

Thank you in advance for all the advice. I have spent hours researching on here trying to decide on my first detector. I decided on the Equinox 600. However, a big part of the detecting I want to do is in the river near my house in 4 to 6 feet of water. I have read a number of negative comments on the Equinox water proof cababilities. I am second guessing my decision a bit. Is there another option you would recommend more than the Nox 600?

I will primarily be relic and coin hunting in woods, fields and water.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Thank you in advance for all the advice. I have spent hours researching on here trying to decide on my first detector. I decided on the Equinox 600. However, a big part of the detecting I want to do is in the river near my house in 4 to 6 feet of water. I have read a number of negative comments on the Equinox water proof cababilities. I am second guessing my decision a bit. Is there another option you would recommend more than the Nox 600?

You have 3 full years of warranty to stuff it underwater. GO FOR IT!!!

Haha I was hoping I would get that type of response. I like how you think.

The Garrett AT series is durable in freshwater and works well in freshwater.
not so good at the beach.

Assuming the river doesn't contain brackish water where you want to hunt, the AT Max is a good option.

As for the Equinox, you'll probably be fine if it leaks, given the warranty. However, I guess it depends on if being water proof is mission critical or not. I think of it this way:

If I'm going on some river expedition on the Amazon River where me and my group are on our own if anything goes wrong, I'm taking te AT Pro or AT Max. But if I'm in my back yard or somewhere local, I'm ok with trusting the Equinox's waterproofing.

Feel free to give us a call. Be glad to go over the 600 and a couple of other options with you!

Do your self a favor. Buy a used At Pro and then pick up the Equinox if your not happy with it. I did it the reverse order. I had to drive home early from the lake with a flooded machine too many times that I bought an AT Pro. I couldn't rely on the Equinox and was wasting the short season we have water detecting here in the north waiting for a replacement unit to arrive. When the warranty expired last April I bought an Excalibur and my Equinox will only get wet from rain in the field in the future. I would say the Equinox wins in performance but the AT Pro is a fantastic machine and for me much more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom