• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Since summer is on the way, you are going to experience people coming up and trying to talk to you and ask what you're doing. How do you handle these busybodies? What do you say?

For instance, we were out detecting a beach and two young ladies came over and asked if I was looking for radioactive material!

Several times we have been accused of "clamming" in the off season. :lol:

Let's hear some things that people have said to you, asked you, or some funny experiences.

Or like my busy body neighbor lady. I'm detecting on the boulevard and she stops and says "What would you do if I threw a penny down?" Not really knowing what to say, I just said the first thing I thought of....I'd pick it up :lol:

Kids are the best. I see them pepper the sand with clad. I pass over the clad then come back and act as if I did not see them do it. They think they got one over and Im richer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. I had one smart as in front of his friends hand me a dollar bill and said go buy myself a beer,for which I took the dollar put in my pocket and said I would sure like to have his ring :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope to see ya at the Hunt Carol& Vlad
L.I. Mike

I had a sweet old lady ask us if we were going fish. Fishing? I thought, then she went on to say she had never seen a gadget like ours. She thought we were using our detectors to shock worms and bring them to the top were we would then pick them out of the ground.

Detector said:
I had a sweet old lady ask us if we were going fish. Fishing? I thought, then she went on to say she had never seen a gadget like ours. She thought we were using our detectors to shock worms and bring them to the top were we would then pick them out of the ground.

Now that's rich, lol :lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't had anyone come up to me yet. Of course I'm usually in places where others aren't around either.

I dont care for people around me when I hunt, thats why I switched from beaches to land mostly, unless Im out with my friends. Cause at beaches I always seem to get this certain child that looks at me and when I pull something out I get the question "Did you find treasure?" :lol: Which is fun for the first time, but when he is following for 30 mins, I just pretend I cant find anything and he get bored :lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost forgot. Last Wed. I was detecting an old burned down barrel factory. As I was moving the coil over the ground, I scared up a field mouse that promply ran right at me and made it up to my knee before I was doing a dance like I never did before. The wife was sitting a short distance away, saw the whole episode transpire, and about wet herself watching the show. :shock: Wasn't exactly funny to me, but she sure got a kick out of it.

I get the normal people coming up to the waters edge asking what I am doing, others ask if the water is cold, one young woman asked if I was cold in the water and I told her I was cold but if she was in the waders with me I would be a lot warmer, she smiled and laughed and wished me good luck ;)

I get asked hows the fishing? Are you clamming? Do you know you're not allowed to clam here? Sometimes depending on my mood I will say I am from Homeland Security and I am looking for mines... ;)

Cfmct-PI said:
I get the normal people coming up to the waters edge asking what I am doing, others ask if the water is cold, one young woman asked if I was cold in the water and I told her I was cold but if she was in the waders with me I would be a lot warmer, she smiled and laughed and wished me good luck? ;)

I get asked hows the fishing? Are you clamming? Do you know you're not allowed to clam here? Sometimes depending on my mood I will say I am from Homeland Security and I am looking for mines... ;)

What's with the questions about clamming?? I think if I got asked "Are you clamming?", I would say "No, I'm looking for the lost portal to the alternate dimension I am from. My work is done here."

I?ve gotten ?What are you looking for?? quite a bit so far. I usually reply, ?Whatever I find.? Open-ended answer, I know, but it?s an open-ended question?

I had a couple of kids come up to me at a park but they didn't get to close and asked if my gator digger was a knife. I told them it wasn't a knife and showed them how I use it then I couldn't get rid of 'em. They had a good time helping.

I've had a couple people asking me if I use my detector to dig for clams :roll: :roll:,as well as"what are you looking for?"

Usually my detecting buddie and I say we are cleaning up the junk at the beach,or where ever we are detecting, usually they believe us and walk off. :lol:

I've had a few come to me at the park thinking I'm whipper snipping, then realise it's a detector and ask what I'm looking for. I say, "anything you've lost!"
Angela :grin:

Funny stuff people!

I also remember a friend of ours telling us that while he was detecting a beach in Canada, there was a group of kids following him around and burying cans in his path. :lol:

Anybody ever have clad tossed at ya? Sometimes I get the feeling people drop coins purposely when they see me detecting. :?:

Carol K said:
Anybody ever have clad tossed at ya? Sometimes I get the feeling people drop coins purposely when they see me detecting. :?:

Not I, but the people who's property I was detecting Saturday told me they knew someone in Florida that detested the MD'ers on the beach so they would go to the bank, get some penny rolls, break them open and fling pennies from the balcony :lol:

Anybody ever have clad tossed at ya? Sometimes I get the feeling people drop coins purposely when they see me detecting.

I had some kids tossing coins in front of me as I detected. They were following behind and I knew they were there I just kept avoiding the coins. It was pretty funny one kid actually hit my coil with a nickle trying to get me to find just one of the coins they were throwing.

I usually try to stay out of sight because I prefer to detect in solitude.... but after a few months of finding nothing but pennies and junk, I decided to get a bit more bold. I went to a small piece of grassy land that has a few trees on it right in the downtown center. There used to be a park somewhere nearby before they put in a highway. I had an older lady come out of here house and cross the street just to come ask me why in the world I would ever think that I might find anything of value there...
I proceeded to give her a history lesson as to what was there before and what the placed looked like in the 1930's and 40's (according to the old maps that I had). The kicker is that I am only 29 and she must've been in her 60's. She wasn't very nice either.

Back
Top Bottom