Coinstar secrets & tips for gold & diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread cracks me up.... we are scavengers and we are telling another scavenger he is being unethical... you guys kill me... :laughing:

ethical/unethical doesn't really matter. That's the way the world works. I'm more interested in the legal aspect. It's an interesting scenario to say the least.

ethical/unethical doesn't really matter. That's the way the world works. I'm more interested in the legal aspect. It's an interesting scenario to say the least.

Well... in that regard that is the chance KOB is taking and I will not judge... would I do that probably not but then again why use a box that takes a cut when I can take change to my bank for free...

Years ago here guys were going to car washes and asking for the vacuum stuff that was sucked up out of cars and they would post their finds quite a bit of gold and silver items along with coins and even winning lotto tickets plus the normal lint and whatever else those things sucked up...

Its a dog eat dog world...

That's a great idea ! No shame in my game. Can you imagine all the treasure Tom finds from his street sweepers ?

Too bad he doesn't do the beaches would save him time digging with that funky scoop he uses :yes: 4 of my stops I know where they dump the stuff at the beaches I have found some great stuff that way...

Im sure in their fine little printing there is a clause covering this issue. Basically a use at your own risk deal. If the customer doesn't like it they are free to take the coins somewhere else prior to using the coinstar machine.

What clause would that be? "We may steal some of your money, hide it in a secret compartment in our machines and you agree to us ripping off your Eisenhower dollars and any other coins that "accidentally" fall into that secret "trash" compartment." Sorry, but there's no clause that will cover stealing a customer's money! Lol!

uhhhh.... hardly. If the coins are just sitting there. But asking someone to open the machine is a whole different ball game.
But as far as I know there is no law against lying to the supermarket manager. If he willingly opens the door I'm pretty sure there is no judge that would convict for fraud or theft.

Suppose a lady gets home, parking lot, or front door (still on the property) and realized her ring fell off into the machine. At that exact same time KOB came around and got the guy it open it for him.
They will surely check the cameras once she realizes its gone. Is it against the law? Remember, she is still on the property.
A lot of "what ifs" but with 1000s and 1000s of these machines I'm sure it has happened before.

In my post I mentioned taking coins from the tray......I didn't say anything about having someone open the door to the machine. I wasn't referring to anything that KOB was talking about.

This thread cracks me up.... we are scavengers and we are telling another scavenger he is being unethical... you guys kill me... :laughing:
Those are the Left or Woke people who are saying to themselves: Why didn't I think of that 1st ?🤣. I have never round a ring in one , probably because the holes are too small. But about 70% I walk by , there is some jewelry in there. Mostly junk , so I wait for the good stuff. These machines don't always count your coins accurately. This I know as fact. When I started using these it was just under 6% to use. Now , it's a 13% drop rate ! Credit unions are free , if you're a member.

I look at this like a video game. Or better , a carnival game as a kid. What is the secret , how can I win at this game ? Without physically breaking into or damaging the machine. A hack , if you will. But one that is completely legal and harms no one. Treasure hunting , being a pirate at it's finest ! Think outside the box or in this case , inside the box. Yes Craig , you have my permission to make this a sticky.....

Those are the Left or Woke people who are saying to themselves: Why didn't I think of that 1st ?🤣. I have never round a ring in one , probably because the holes are too small. But about 70% I walk by , there is some jewelry in there. Mostly junk , so I wait for the good stuff. These machines don't always count your coins accurately. This I know as fact. When I started using these it was just under 6% to use. Now , it's a 13% drop rate ! Credit unions are free , if you're a member.

I look at this like a video game. Or better , a carnival game as a kid. What is the secret , how can I win at this game ? Without physically breaking into or damaging the machine. A hack , if you will. But one that is completely legal and harms no one. Treasure hunting , being a pirate at it's finest ! Think outside the box or in this case , inside the box. Yes Craig , you have my permission to make this a sticky.....

I commend you. I probably wouldn’t do it but I fully support it. And your first sentence.

What clause would that be? "We may steal some of your money, hide it in a secret compartment in our machines and you agree to us ripping off your Eisenhower dollars and any other coins that "accidentally" fall into that secret "trash" compartment." Sorry, but there's no clause that will cover stealing a customer's money! Lol!

If you don't like "their rules" you are free to take the coins somewhere else.
I'm pretty sure their corporate lawyers are a little more tuned to the laws, domestic and international, than FreeBirdTim is. :lol:
Any coins I find I clean and use. Im waaaay to cheap to use a machine that takes a cut.

Well... in that regard that is the chance KOB is taking and I will not judge... would I do that probably not but then again why use a box that takes a cut when I can take change to my bank for free...

Years ago here guys were going to car washes and asking for the vacuum stuff that was sucked up out of cars and they would post their finds quite a bit of gold and silver items along with coins and even winning lotto tickets plus the normal lint and whatever else those things sucked up...

Its a dog eat dog world...

Not many people are aware of this but several Fed Res presidents just got nailed for insider trading. A couple of them retired over it... The remaining culprits started an investigation into themselves. It took a day and the results are hilarious. So how can anyone realistically judge a guy looking in the coin machine for a gold earring or coin? :laughing:
The car wash bags is a good idea. But after 1 or 2 times the employees would probably start to get curious why you are after the bags and whats inside... at least I would be. I would start popping it open myself after a couple of times.:yes:

The fact that the coinstar machine is designed NOT to give back all rejected material indicates to me that they are aware that there is valuable material to be "harvested"/ (stolen), and the customer will not be aware of the theft of their property mistakenly put into the machine.

IF they were honest, why would the return of all rejected material not be automatic? Why is there an inner tray at all? If they are not counting it, then it should be returned to the owner.

.. nevertheless, I don't believe tricking a manager to giving access to the "theft" tray is justifiable for any moral reason. It's Robin Hood, keeping for himself... :pirates::shrug::money::run1::run1:

Does the service person just keep whatever loot is found in that part of the machine? Doesn't seem like management would be happy about that either. The whole thing is weird.

The fact that the coinstar machine is designed NOT to give back all rejected material indicates to me that they are aware that there is valuable material to be "harvested"/ (stolen), and the customer will not be aware of the theft of their property mistakenly put into the machine.

IF they were honest, why would the return of all rejected material not be automatic? Why is there an inner tray at all? If they are not counting it, then it should be returned to the owner.
Would make sense right? But there is always the chance that something sharp or dangerous from the person using it or the person before gets stuck or jabs the person getting the coin from the tray. As a company providing a service they will be liable for anything being ejected or left in the reject tray.
Rest assured coinstar doesn't want old crusty coins jammed in the machine. This is a multi million dollar company that has taken every legal precaution to not get sued or have customers injured. How much can really be stuck in the tray? A couple of bucks at most? This is multi million dollar international company. Trust me they don't want the coin with old bubble gum stuck on the back of it.

This simple economics 101... I have no idea why some people are so convinced that there is a conspiracy at coinstar headquarters to steal crusty coins. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure their corporate lawyers are a little more tuned to the laws, domestic and international, than FreeBirdTim is. :lol:
Any coins I find I clean and use. Im waaaay to cheap to use a machine that takes a cut.

LOL. Right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure their corporate lawyers are a little more tuned to the laws, domestic and international, than FreeBirdTim is.

Sorry, you can't make up rules that cheat people out of their money. That's called committing fraud. They don't need lawyers to look into it, because so few people know about this secret compartment. ALL coins need to go into the outside reject bin, period. Holding back any of them and not paying a customer for the coins is committing fraud.

Sorry, you can't make up rules that cheat people out of their money. That's called committing fraud. They don't need lawyers to look into it, because so few people know about this secret compartment. ALL coins need to go into the outside reject bin, period. Holding back any of them and not paying a customer for the coins is committing fraud.

Anything in the reject tray Coinstar is responsible for. Lots of pins, tacks, sharp earrings, glass... all kinds of stuff gets tossed in with the coins.
Likely they had issues in the past where people have cut their hands or fingers retrieving items from the tray. There are so many scammers how long until 1 puts a piece of glass in the tray and cuts themselves with it and files a lawsuit.

There is a/are reason(s) why the coinstar doesn't eject objects etc etc. Its a multi million multi international company... You really think they want your rejected coins? They will collect them, from 1000s of machines and do what with them? How would that register on their yearly tax forms?
Its just absurd. Use some common sense.
More than likely the manager at the grocery store has a key in case of emergencies and more than likely he is the only 1 authorized to open or touch anything inside the machine due to legal reasons.

Vending machines only allow you to put the coins in 1 at at time... and they too will jam up with anything put inside that is odd shaped.

The nice LaRue counter at my CU has an internal cup also. I’ve bought bags of halves from that machine in the past. A lot of stuff makes it past the cup, like SD micro cards and guitar pics. They dump the contents of the dirt cup into the garbage, you could dig foreign coins and junk out of the garbage if you were so inclined. Recently, the CU bought a cheaper counter.

Its just absurd. Use some common sense.

Tone down the hostility. This is meant to be a friendly forum. Just because we disagree doesn't give you the right to make belittling comments. Unless you work for Coinstar, you know as much about this subject as anyone else here.

Tone down the hostility. This is meant to be a friendly forum. Just because we disagree doesn't give you the right to make belittling comments. Unless you work for Coinstar, you know as much about this subject as anyone else here.

and here I was thinking you were going to ask me if I'm a lawyer... shows how much I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom