The Best Coin Metal Detectors on Today's Market

Kellyco

When you are looking to purchase a coin metal detector, you might be amazed, or even frightened, at the number of options available to you. While every metal detector is different, the factors that make a great coin detector are all the same.

One of the most important factors is detection depth. In addition, sensitivity, ground balancing capabilities, and optimized operating frequencies are all very important as well.

Fortunately, there are many machines that are great for coin metal detecting, ranging widely in price and performance. Among the favorites are the Minelab CTX-3030, the Garrett AT Pro, and the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, along with many others.

Continue reading this guide from the experts at Kellyco to learn about how you can pick the best detector for coins no matter your situation, experience level, and budget!

Our Reviews of the Best Coin Detectors

Minelab CTX-3030
Best Overall Coin Metal Detector
Weight: 5.2 lbs.
Frequency: 1.5 kHz – 100 kHz
Waterproof: Up to 10 feet
Warranty: 3 Year Limited

The best overall coin-finding machine is the Minelab CTX-3030. The CTX is built to perform in virtually any condition imaginable and can be configured to search for virtually any type of target you could want.

It really shines on coins, with its variety of features designed to get the most performance possible out of a detector. It even comes with wireless headphones so you don’t get tangled up in a headphone cord!

One of our favorite features the CTX offers is its excellent ground balancing capabilities. These ground balancing features allow the CTX-3030 to run in the most highly mineralized soils, including wet, salty sand.

Another great feature is Minelab’s powerful FeCo Discrimination, which allows you to pick exactly what metal you are hunting for with no distractions from trash metals.

This saves treasure hunters tons of time, allowing them to dig only coin metal signals, like silver, gold, nickel, and copper. A big reason we love the CTX-3030 is how versatile it is.

With a variety of search, mode presets, you can begin coin hunting, relic hunting, or even gold hunting with a high-performance machine with the touch of a button!

Since coin shooting can take you anywhere, from local parks to wading out in saltwater, it is very important to have a metal detector that can withstand any environment. The Minelab CTX-3030 is submersible up to 10 feet, so it can go anywhere you want to find coins!

The ergonomics of a metal detecting machine can make or break the machine for many detectorists. Luckily, the CTX-3030 has excellent ergonomics, allowing you to stay out in the field searching for coins longer.

It really is amazing how comfortable a coin detector is with this many features! With that being said, the five-pound weight can be excessive for certain hobbyists, as it is on the heavier side for a detector.

The average detectorist should be able to swing this machine for many hours, but for some, they may prefer a lighter metal detector, such as the Garrett AT Pro or the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro (more on those below).

To learn more about this detector, read our Minelab CTX-3030 Field Test.

Garrett AT Pro
Best Mid-Level Coin Detector
Weight: 3.03 lbs.
Frequency: 15 kHz
Waterproof: Up to 10 feet
Warranty: 2 Year Limited

The Garrett AT Pro is our favorite mid-level coin finder, as it provides so many great features at an excellent price point!

The AT Pro is highly versatile and can be used for coin hunting, as well as many other types of detecting. It is loaded with features that have helped hobbyists find old Morgan silver dollars, buffalo nickels, and old Colonial large cents for years!

Our favorite feature of the Garrett AT Pro metal detector is its powerful detection depth and sensitivity. The AT Pro is capable of finding coins at deep depths, while still providing excellent target separation.

The digital target identification and LCD screen display are also excellent features with the AT Pro. Garrett outfitted this detector with search mode presets, as well pinpointing features, and 40 manual discrimination tabs!

These discrimination tabs save coin hunters so much time since it allows detectorists to exclude iron and other non-coin metals from their target signals!

Ground balancing is automatic or manual depending on what you want, which is great for running your detector in salty, heavily mineralized areas.

The AT (All-Terrain) Pro gets its name due to its ability to be used in virtually every condition imaginable.

Saltwater, sand, rain, ice, and snow will not hurt this detector, as it is submersible up to 10 feet deep!

We particularly love this coin finder for treasure hunting in the water, as it is powerful and durable!

The lightweight of the Garrett AT Pro makes it a favorite among younger detectorists, or those who would prefer a lightweight coin machine!

The ergonomics of the AT Pro were designed with user comfort in mind. The grip is a non-absorbent rubber that provides all-day comfort. We would have no problem using this machine for coins all day long!

To learn more about this detector, read our Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector Review.

Garrett ACE 400
Best Entry-Level Coin Metal Detector
Weight: 2.9 lbs.
Frequency: 10 kHz
Waterproof: No; Weatherproof
Warranty: 2 Year Limited

The Garrett ACE 400 is our favorite entry-level coin detector, as it provides for easy operation, all-day comfort, and the features needed to find coins! The ACE 400 is great for finding coins, as well as many other metal types, making it a very useful and versatile machine for hobbyists.

One of the reasons we love the ACE 400 for a beginner coin detector is that it is really simple to operate. Simply turn the machine on, pick a search mode, and begin looking for old silver coins! The ground balancing capabilities are automatic, so you don’t have to spend time adjusting it!

Though this detector is simple to operate, it is very powerful for an entry-level machine. Don’t be surprised if you are finding coins deep in the ground!

Another of our favorite features is that the ACE 400 is equipped with Garrett’s Iron Audio technology (to see a video of this technology at work, click here).

Iron Audio allows you to hear discriminated iron so you can listen for any good signals around the iron. This could help you find a coin among trash!

While the Garrett ACE 400 is not waterproof, the search coil and shaft are completely submersible, so you can still hunt a little way into bodies of water if you want to. If a waterproof detector is a must-have, check out the Garrett AT Pro.

The only downside of this machine that we can find is its lack of waterproofing, though, at this price point, that is impossible to find!

The ACE 400 is very lightweight, which also lends itself well to being a great entry-level coin detector.

In fact, we’d recommend a detector around this weight level for beginners, until their arm muscles are used to swinging a detector for extended periods of time. Finally, the ergonomics are on par with the rest of Garrett’s comfortable machines, so no worries there!

<<UNAUTHORIZED LINK REMOVED>>

Last edited by a moderator:
The ergonomics of the AT Pro were designed with user comfort in mind. The grip is a non-absorbent rubber that provides all-day comfort. We would have no problem using this machine for coins all day long!

The AT PRO was also one of the most uncomfortable detectors i ever detected with
just my opinion

It’s also the best coin shooting “boat anchor” on the market IMHO. For selective digging, no other detector I’ve used can match it, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGAIN with this….:lol:
A friend of mine and fellow forum member goes to a seeded hunt this past summer with the CTX and 17” coil. Winds up with 12 silver dimes and a bunch of other coins, I think a few not even the seeded coins. And 2-3 pieces of junk he chased just for fun. None of the other people had more than 3 silver dimes per person, and they collected a lot more junk.
That is at least a 4-1 ratio of good vs bad. What else do people need to know?? Granted, he is very good with the machine! And granted, this is just a (true) story. But, the target information still has to be there. In the end, the machine is doing the bulk of the work. A lighter, more “comfortable” machine that can NOT provide this level of ID at depth is NOT helpful to us “old coin hunters”. The CTX is simply the most accurate “boat anchor” ever invented. You know, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda….:lalalala:

The Minelab 3030 is a boat anchor!

+1 also, the ctx-3030.although being an excellent coin detector is expensive,
prohibitively so by quite a lot of hobbyists.it's performance in trash laden areas
can be easily matched by the 600/800 equinox, or even the vanquish 540 at a "considerable" savings.as mentioned, it IS heavy, and not particularly well balanced.this trait can be off set somewhat by use of a smaller coil, however,it does indeed still get heavy with prolonged usage.in my view, the vanquish 440,or the 540,and/or the Turkish simplex gets 'similar" performance in the field, along with lighter weight,better balance, and a much more economical price point.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

in my view, the vanquish 440,or the 540,and/or the Turkish simplex gets 'similar" performance in the field, along with lighter weight,better balance, and a much more economical price point.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I agree with this totally. These vanquish and simplex machines for the price and performance should have shut down the market on anything $500 and up.

This is especially useful for beach sweepers, who often have to contend with unusually aggressive beach crabs.

Oh yeah !!!! Swinging that thing for 3 miles , zigzagging for 6 hours , on a 45° slope , at my favorite beach....in search of coins !!! Awesome !!! Except I won't be hunting for the next 10 days , lol. Dirt hunters don't do this.....and neither do beachhunters 🤣🤣🤣

Oh yeah !!!! Swinging that thing for 3 miles , zigzagging for 6 hours , on a 45° slope , at my favorite beach....in search of coins !!! Awesome !!! Except I won't be hunting for the next 10 days , lol. Dirt hunters don't do this.....and neither do beachhunters 🤣🤣🤣

Or sweeping a 3030 if your 6'4". You will be on your knees for that 3 miles and 6 hours.
Next time Minelab makes a flagship with a custom shaft have someone tall test it.

I understand the comments about the CTX being heavy. When compared to the Equinox or Deus, it definitely is. But I don’t really get the comments about balance. To me, it’s very well balanced. More so than the Equinox IMO. Don’t a lot of folks add a counter balance to the Nox to help with this? It seems nose heavy to me. Not so much with my 6” coil, but with the stock coil I can definitely feel it.

Of course, there is no one "best coin" detector. Each can have advantages and faults depending on the conditions and user.

As far as the CTX 3030, for me, I'd put it in the top 5 at least. I'd call it number one, but the price is a bit up there, and you can get close to the same performance for much less. I really rate the Deus high, but it does take some time to understand its language, but unmatched in ergonomics in my opinion. The NOX 800 is amazing for the price, but my experience has been it doesn't quite match the performance of the upper tier.

Personally, If I'm going old coin hunting here in my hometown, give me a good old E-Trac.

Coin Metal Detecting? The OP talks funny, but I consider the source.🤣

Coin Hunting, normal speak, might fit into one of three general categories:

*** Often high-production Tot-Lots and similar places that often have metal structures in wood-chip, bark-chip, sand, pea gravel shredded tires or other loose material.

*** Typical grassy types of environments, such as a yard, parking strip, school ground, park or similar area that might have older to modern coins. Most often we would be encountering modern, non-ferrous trash such as foil, pull-tabs, pry-tabs, screw caps, and a sometimes frequent ferrous discard, the bottle caps.

*** A third type of location, most often associated with much older coins, would be old-use areas such as ghost towns, homesteads, and many other places where we might need to deal with very dense amounts of Iron Nails, Rusty Tin, and a lot of other ferrous discards.

Of these three more popular places to go Coin Hunting, the CTX 3030 and other FBS are really not very good choices except the one in the middle.

There is no 'peefect' or 'best' detector, but there are a lot of decent detectors that can work well for hobbyists. The 'best appoach' it to own and use at least one, and preferbly two or more, of the models you enjoy, understand, and have reasonable success with.

Just opinions,

Monte

I understand the comments about the CTX being heavy. When compared to the Equinox or Deus, it definitely is. But I don’t really get the comments about balance. To me, it’s very well balanced. More so than the Equinox IMO. Don’t a lot of folks add a counter balance to the Nox to help with this? It seems nose heavy to me. Not so much with my 6” coil, but with the stock coil I can definitely feel it.

You are absolutely correct on the Nox being "nose heavy". And I don't think alot of guys use a counterbalance. Being tall , I had a CF shaft , fully extended with a heavy SS slug as a counterbalance for the 15" coil. It still wasn't enough. The only other option is to swing real slow close to your feet. I'm not at that stage in life yet ! Wide open beach , my arm is extended for a large swing arc. My stride , pace is a bit on the brisk side. Ground coverage is paramount ! Just about anyone can swing for an hour or two. But when you get into that 5+ hour hunt , walking a few miles.....a totally different ballgame. Balance means alot....

indeed it does, and the vanquish with it's 8" ,or 10" coils is a joy to hunt with on extended time hunts. excellent balance, and very lightweight with "top shelf" performance when used
in lightly mineralized areas.looks like a "toy" but is really a rugged little detector, that has excellent i.d. at depth

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom