UV Lights and Fluorescent Minerals - a fun side hobby to metal detecting !

Interesting specimen from Mexico!

This is a small specimen measuring only 1 3/8 inch in the photograph horizontally. It is smithsonite, zinc carbonate, from the Buena Terra Mine, Santa Eulalia, Chihuahua, Mexico. What is interesting is its color change in response to SW UV vs. LW UV. The first picture is natural light, showing its color as medium gray. Notice the small chip in the upper left hand corner of the specimen. The second picture shows the minerals UV response to SW 254 nm wavelength. The top surface is blue, and where it is chipped it is red. The third picture shows the minerals UV response to LW 365 nm wavelength. All the smithsonite is a strong orange color. According to what KT can find out, a trace of Fe is the activator element.

Enjoy the pics....sorry the 2nd pic is not in better focus, but that seems to be a problem related to KT's autofocus camera and the SW length band. Focus is a bit better in the 3rd picture.

Attachments

• Smithsonite, Buena Terra mine, Chihuahua, Mexico HHOV 1.5 in, natural light.JPG
    Smithsonite, Buena Terra mine, Chihuahua, Mexico HHOV 1.5 in, natural light.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Smithsonite, Buena Terra mine, Chihuahua, Mexico HHOV 1.5 in, UVSW 254 nm.JPG
    Smithsonite, Buena Terra mine, Chihuahua, Mexico HHOV 1.5 in, UVSW 254 nm.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Smithsonite, Buena Terra mine, Chihuahua, Mexico HHOV 1.5 in, UVLW 365 nm.JPG
    Smithsonite, Buena Terra mine, Chihuahua, Mexico HHOV 1.5 in, UVLW 365 nm.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 163
Did you know?

There are many types of inclusions present in minerals, some of which are fluorescent? Fluorite is a good example. Often fluorescent itself (blue LW UV 365 nm), but sometimes not. But some fluorites contain fluorescent inclusions of petroleum, oil to the average person. This sometimes occurs when during growth from fluids, those fluids change composition and carry raw petroleum, moving though the rocks.

KT was fortunate to locate a seller of chips left over from cleaving fluorite to make octahedrons. Some of these chips contain tiny spots, stringers or layers of petroleum within them. The petroleum fluoresces in both LW and SW UV, but brighter in LW.

Shown below are a few pictures of various chips...one just the chip in natural light and then one in UV LW 365 nm. And then several pictures of the inclusions fluorescing. All those are in UV LW 365 nm and all pictures were taken at 10X magnification with the Royal USB led Chinese microscope.

The third picture show the oil laying on 3 distinct planes within the fluorite cleavage. Fluorite often forms cubes as crystals and so you can see 3 planes that were coated with oil. The oil may appear as round spots, round spots with tails, and linear streaks where the oil was apparently smeared as more mineral began to form.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Fluorite chip13 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Fluorite chip13 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Fluorite chip11 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 11.jpg
    Fluorite chip11 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 11.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Fluorite chip03 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Fluorite chip03 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Fluorite chip01 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Fluorite chip01 IL KY Fluorspar District, with fl. oil inclusions 10X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Fluorite chip01 IL. KY. Fluorspar District, transmitted light 10X.jpg
    Fluorite chip01 IL. KY. Fluorspar District, transmitted light 10X.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 169
Some fluorescent petroleum inclusions in quartz crystals

Finally, arriving from Pakistan, KT received in the Royal Mail yesterday a small package of small (<1/4" across) doubly terminated quartz crystals. Water clear, they contain inclusions of petroleum that fluoresce nicely. And being so clear, one can also see the inclusions in natural light. The pictures below were taken with KT's Chinese USB led microscope at 10X. These crystals are sometimes listed as from Balochistan, Pakistan and sometimes from Balochistan, Afghanistan. The countries borders, formed after WWII, is one of regional dispute. The Balochistan Plateau, a geographical feature, cares not what country claims it, but since most mineral dealers now call the location Pakistan, KT generally accepts that for the location.

First picture shows a crystal with visible inclusions, both black and brownish tan. These crystals have been studied and the petroleum based fluid is primarily benzene, one of the lighter hydrocarbons. The opaque spot is likely asphaltum, coated with benzene, because both the solid and liquid inclusions fluoresce. The second picture shows the fluorescence in UV LW 365 nm light and the 3rd picture shows the fluorescence in UV SW 254 nm light. A slight difference in color. LW fluorescence is a bit brighter and whiter, whereas SW response is weaker and has a tinge of yellow.

Anyway, something different to ponder! :laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• Oil inclusion quartz, Balochistan Plateau Region, Pakistan 10X natural light.jpg
    Oil inclusion quartz, Balochistan Plateau Region, Pakistan 10X natural light.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Oil inclusion quartz, Balochistan Plateau Region, Pakistan 10X LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    Oil inclusion quartz, Balochistan Plateau Region, Pakistan 10X LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Oil inclusion quartz, Balochistan Plateau Region, Pakistan 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    Oil inclusion quartz, Balochistan Plateau Region, Pakistan 10X SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 165
Another interesting fluorescent mineral!

This time it is trapiche ruby. All rubies display some fluorescence under UV LW 365 nm light. But these specimens also display an unusual feature...they display a spoke wheel structure at right angles to their longest crystallographic axis, known in crystallography as the C axis. The ruby grows fastest parallel to the C axis and when well formed crystals are seen, they are hexagonal prisms.

In some instances, the host rock that they grow in, gets incapsulated within the crystals parallel to that same axis and one sees an opaque fine-grained hexagonal star. KT got several of these specimens from an overseas eBay seller, because tho not listed as fluorescent, they should be. The specimens are small, not exceeding over 3.5 mm across, but indeed nicely show the trapiche structure. And they have a decent fluorescence!

These specimens are from Mogok, Myanmar (formerly Burma), one of the best known locations for rubies, sapphires, and other gemstones in the world.

There are two pairs of pictures, the first in natural light and the second in UV LW 395 nm. All pictures were taken at 10X magnification with KT's Chinese USB led microscope. Exposure and color were corrected via a photography software program to appear as the naked eye sees the specimens. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar02 UV LW 365 nm 10X.jpg
    Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar02 UV LW 365 nm 10X.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 182
  • Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar02 natural light 10X.jpg
    Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar02 natural light 10X.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar01 UV LW 365 nm 10X.jpg
    Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar01 UV LW 365 nm 10X.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar01 natural light 10X.jpg
    Trapiche ruby, Mogok, Myanmar01 natural light 10X.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 162
Again catching up on your latest posts KT after still having been extra busy recently (almost feel like I'm a lumberjack with the small trees I need to cut back from the edge of our property along with the heavy underbrush :lol: as well as other projects and everyday chores), you are continuing to add quite an interesting assortment together, just wanted to at least do a quick post for now to let you know I saw and enjoyed looking at the latest additions :thumbsup:

(eventually I'll get back to more detailed responses when new specimens are added, but I appreciate you continuing to add them in the meantime KT !)

Again catching up on your latest posts KT after still having been extra busy recently (almost feel like I'm a lumberjack with the small trees I need to cut back from the edge of our property along with the heavy underbrush :lol: as well as other projects and everyday chores), you are continuing to add quite an interesting assortment together, just wanted to at least do a quick post for now to let you know I saw and enjoyed looking at the latest additions :thumbsup:

(eventually I'll get back to more detailed responses when new specimens are added, but I appreciate you continuing to add them in the meantime KT !)

Royal Thanks, GKL! Hopefully in the near future KT will get a few more interesting specimens for posting!

Here we go! I recently received from a friend of mine in PA, several micro mineral specimens. Two of which turned out to be Boltwoodite, a Uranium-bearing mineral. I am posting 4 images of the two specimens, the first one of each is with natural lighting at 10X magnification, and the second of each is lit with UV LW 365 nm. The mineral is bright yellow in natural light and tannish orange in UV LW.

Enjoy! Uranium minerals are normally very colorful in natural light and often bright green in UV, so this one is a bit different! The specimens are from the New Model Mine in California.

Attachments

• Boltwoodite01, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X natural light.jpg
    Boltwoodite01, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X natural light.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Boltwoodite01, New Method  mine, Amboy, CA 25X UV LW 365 nm.jpg
    Boltwoodite01, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X UV LW 365 nm.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Boltwoodite02 on quartz, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X.jpg
    Boltwoodite02 on quartz, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Boltwoodite02 on quartz, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Boltwoodite02 on quartz, New Method mine, Amboy, CA 25X UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 142
Well, here are a couple of additional interesting goodies for this thread.

The first is caliche conglomerate from California. Caliche is a type of soil formation that occurs in a dry environment, like desert. When there IS rain, it soaks in, and dissolves carbonate minerals from the soil, then as it dries out, through capillary action the water is evaporated near surface and the dissolved solids reform as a cement. This piece is reminiscent of concrete, having formed the cement in a gravel bed. Looks a lot like concrete too! Anyway, when you shine a LW UV 365 nm lamp on it, the cement glows orangish. This is a large cabinet sized specimen!

Next we have a small miniature specimen of cave-like aragonite formation. White in natural light, it is a nice green color in SW UV 254 nm light.

Finally, a classic calcite from the Langban mine, Sweden. Just looking like a non-descript rock until SW UV 254 nm light hits it, then it lights up even brighter than calcite from Franklin, New Jersey! It is a medium sized miniature.

Hope everyone enjoys these!

Attachments

• Aragonite, botryoidal, Prospect east of Organ, NM SW UV 254 nm.JPG
    Aragonite, botryoidal, Prospect east of Organ, NM SW UV 254 nm.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Aragonite, botryoidal, Prospect east of Organ, NM natural light.JPG
    Aragonite, botryoidal, Prospect east of Organ, NM natural light.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Caliche Conglomerate, Grimes Sexton Qy., Inyo Co., CA UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Caliche Conglomerate, Grimes Sexton Qy., Inyo Co., CA UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Caliche Conglomerate, Grimes Sexton Qy., Inyo Co., CA natural light.jpg
    Caliche Conglomerate, Grimes Sexton Qy., Inyo Co., CA natural light.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Calcite Langban mine, Sweden natural light.jpg
    Calcite Langban mine, Sweden natural light.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 136
  • Calcite Langban mine, Sweden SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    Calcite Langban mine, Sweden SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 156
More fluorescent minerals!

KT has 2 new fluorescent samples to show off. They are both selenite crystals, a variety of Gypsum crystals. What makes these interesting is the fluorescent hourglass pattern contained within the specimens. It is still not known exactly what is causing the pattern...first thought to be minute trace of Uranium selectively taken up during crystal formation, however, an investigation of the chemistry of these hourglass crystals indicates no difference in chemistry and no Uranium present. However this type of hourglass pattern is not uncommon in selenite crystals of this form. In the salt flats of western Oklahoma, selenite is seen forming crystals with tan sand inclusions in an hourglass shape. It may be as the crystal forms, certain directions have more crystallographic strength and manage to push the sand grains away during growth while other directions are weaker and simply incorporate the sand. This may somehow have some bearing on the presence of the fluorescent hourglass pattern within the selenite crystals. Who knows? :laughing::laughing: One thing, most selenite crystals displaying fluorescence formed within clay/shale beds...perhaps something about the chemistry of the clays also has some influence.

Anyway, these crystals are from the Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., Kansas. The small one is a bit over 1 inch diagonally while the larger one is a bit over 3 inches diagonally. In LW UV 365 nm light, they glow a bluish white, whereas in SW UV light 254 nm light they glow a much dimmer pale pastel greenish white. Phosphorescence is moderate to weak.

Enjoy these pictures. KT purchased the smaller one due to the nice pattern, but found the others on eBay much cheaper...got 4 large specimens for 7.00, free shipping. KT took a chance that the larger ones might also fluoresce, because fluorescence was not mentioned in the description. Worked out well! HA HA

Attachments

• Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 3.2 inch, LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 3.2 inch, LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 3.2 inch, natural light.jpg
    Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 3.2 inch, natural light.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 1.4 inch, LW UV 365 nm.JPG
    Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 1.4 inch, LW UV 365 nm.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 1.4 inch, natural light.JPG
    Selenite Smoky Hill River, Russell Co., KS 1.4 inch, natural light.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
An unusual fluorescent mineral.....

Pectolite is not normally fluorescent, but KT has seen several listed on eBay from Kola, Russia in the past year...always the same seller...ruminerals. This is not the first time KT has purchased from him.

Anyway after a good 6 weeks of waiting, it arrived today in good shape. It is a small miniature, slightly less than 2" in the longest direction. No response to SWUV, but it has a nice yellowish orangey glow with LW UV 365 nm light. KT is pleased with both pictures as the focus and color rendition are decent!

One noteworthy thing about handling this mineral...pectolite crystallizes at brittle colorless fibers...if one breaks off in your finger it is hard to find and remove it! HA HA.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pectolite, Khibiny Massif, Kola, Russia 2 inch FOV natural light.JPG
    Pectolite, Khibiny Massif, Kola, Russia 2 inch FOV natural light.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 639
  • Pectolite, Khibiny Massif, Kola, Russia 2 inch FOV LW UV 365 nm.JPG
    Pectolite, Khibiny Massif, Kola, Russia 2 inch FOV LW UV 365 nm.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 177
Happy Thanksgiving, GKL! KT certainly appreciates you starting this thread! Lots of fun showing off some of KT's fluorescent collection! :D:D:D

Happy Thanksgiving to you also KT !!!!

Glad you are able to add your new specimens to the thread, definitely helps keep the thread going and interesting too with new stuff to look at !

Another set of specimens for your viewing pleasure!

Saturday KT took His New Royal Coach on its first road trip to Mountain Home, AR, to their Annual Rock and Mineral Show. It took 3 hours to drive there, 2 hours at the show, then a stop for lunch and fuel and then another 3 hours back to the Castle.

KT was hunting for fluorescent minerals and He got a few goodies!

The first pair of pictures are of a 4 inch specimen of Tufa with caliche coating. The dealer had several of these but this was the only one with decent fluorescence under LWUV 356 nm illumination. First picture is natural lighting and second is LWUV response. This specimen is from Hot Springs, Fall River Co., SD.

The other pictures are of calcite measuring ~1.5 in. diameter from Terlingua, Brewster County, TX, First image is in natural light, second is in LWUV 365 nm, and the third image is in SWUV 254 nm. Calcite from this location is well known due to its vivid fluorescent colors and color change from LW to SW. The pieces also exhibit fairly long lasting strong blue phosphorescence, but no attempt was made to photograph that response.

Hope everyone enjoys these pictures and the specimens are soon to be stored in the LW fluorescent mineral cabinet drawer!

Attachments

• Calcite, Terlingua, Brewster Co., Texas 1.5 in. specimens SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    Calcite, Terlingua, Brewster Co., Texas 1.5 in. specimens SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Calcite, Terlingua, Brewster Co., Texas 1.5 in. specimens LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    Calcite, Terlingua, Brewster Co., Texas 1.5 in. specimens LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Calcite, Terlingua, Brewster Co., Texas 1.5 in. specimens natural light.jpg
    Calcite, Terlingua, Brewster Co., Texas 1.5 in. specimens natural light.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Tufa Hot Springs,Fall River Co., South Dakota FOV 4.5 inches LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    Tufa Hot Springs,Fall River Co., South Dakota FOV 4.5 inches LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Tufa Hot Springs, Fall River Co., South Dakota FOV 4.5 inches natural light.jpg
    Tufa Hot Springs, Fall River Co., South Dakota FOV 4.5 inches natural light.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Here are some colorful Christmasy photos!

This past week KT received a fluorescent specimens package from a dear friend in Kentucky! So far today, KT has managed to take pictures of the first three samples in the box and they have such nice Christmas colors, His Majesty felt compelled to post them in GKL's thread!

Here we go! The first pair of pictures are of Cluette Glass from the Corning Glass Works in Ohio. This glass was specifically made to allow the replacement of glass insulators on high voltage lines. The original insulators would eventually break down due to micro cracks which allowed line leakage and was difficult to see by normal means. With this glass, micro cracks show readily in the insulators and despite having to be checked at night, they allowed a better determination of what insulators were still good and those that were bad, saving a lot of money for the utility companies.

The second sample has 3 pictures and it is the mineral Tugtupite, from the Ilimaussaq Complex, Kavnefield, Greenland. The specimen measures about 3.5 in. on the longest edge. First picture is in natural light. Second picture is in LWUV and the mineral is orange. Third picture is in SWUV and the mineral is red.

Finally the last mineral of the set is Manganocalcite from Casapalca Mine, Peru and measures 4 inches on an edge. First pic is natural light. Second pic is LWUV and the mineral is orange. The third pic is in SWUV and the mineral is well banded in shades of orange red.

Merry Christmas to all!

Attachments

• Tugtupite, Ilimaussaq Complex, Kvanefield, Greenland, 3 in. FOV, UVSW 254 nm.jpg
    Tugtupite, Ilimaussaq Complex, Kvanefield, Greenland, 3 in. FOV, UVSW 254 nm.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Tugtupite, Ilimaussaq Complex, Kvanefield, Greenland, 3 in. FOV, LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    Tugtupite, Ilimaussaq Complex, Kvanefield, Greenland, 3 in. FOV, LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Tugtupite, Ilimaussaq Complex, Kvanefield, Greenland, 3 in. FOV, natural light.jpg
    Tugtupite, Ilimaussaq Complex, Kvanefield, Greenland, 3 in. FOV, natural light.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 95
  • Cluette Glass, Corning Glass Works, OH, FOV 3.5 in., LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    Cluette Glass, Corning Glass Works, OH, FOV 3.5 in., LWUV 365 nm.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Cluette Glass, Corning Glass Works, OH, FOV 3.5 in., natural light.jpg
    Cluette Glass, Corning Glass Works, OH, FOV 3.5 in., natural light.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Manganocalcite, Casapalca mine, Casapalca, Peru, FOV 4.0 in., natural light.jpg
    Manganocalcite, Casapalca mine, Casapalca, Peru, FOV 4.0 in., natural light.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Manganocalcite, Casapalca mine, Casapalca, Peru, FOV 4.0 in., UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Manganocalcite, Casapalca mine, Casapalca, Peru, FOV 4.0 in., UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Manganocalcite, Casapalca mine, Casapalca, Peru, FOV 4.0 in., SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    Manganocalcite, Casapalca mine, Casapalca, Peru, FOV 4.0 in., SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 100
Here are pictures of the last two specimens from my friend in Kentucky. For interest, He and family were huddled in their bathroom as a tornado approached and at the last second it swerved south and hit about 1/4 mile from them, destroying a number of businesses in their community! They were definitely being looked after!

Anyway, here is what KT has to show:

The first pair of pictures are of Diopside from Lake Valhalla, Montville, Morris County, New Jersey. The specimen is about 3.5 " across. First image is in natural light and the 2nd in UVSW 254 nm. The blue fluorescence is very distinctive and not due to the UV light as the SW lamp has an almost opaque visible light filter!

The 2nd pair of images are of non-fluorescent Franklinite (black) with fluorescent Willemite, Hardysonite, and Clinohedrite....green, blue, and orange respectively. The specimen measures 4 inches across. First image is in natural light and second image is UVSW 254 nm. Interesting how the Willemite rings the Franklinite! The deep blue and the spots of orange make this an interestingly textured specimen.

Happy Holidays to all!

Attachments

• Willemite, Hardysonite, Clinohedrite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co. NJ, 4.25 in., SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    Willemite, Hardysonite, Clinohedrite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co. NJ, 4.25 in., SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Willemite, Hardysonite, Clinohedrite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co. NJ, 4.25 in., natural light.jpg
    Willemite, Hardysonite, Clinohedrite, Franklin Mine, Sussex Co. NJ, 4.25 in., natural light.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Diopside, Lake Valhalla, Montville, Morris Co., NJ, 3.5 in., SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    Diopside, Lake Valhalla, Montville, Morris Co., NJ, 3.5 in., SWUV 254 nm.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Diopside, Lake Valhalla, Montville, Morris Co., NJ, 3.5 in., natural light.jpg
    Diopside, Lake Valhalla, Montville, Morris Co., NJ, 3.5 in., natural light.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 91
A new to me mineral to add!

These images were taken through my USB led microscope and modified to look as I was seeing the specimen under my optical microscope. The mineral consists of sprays of white to colorless artinite, magnified 20 times. The specimen is from the Artinite pit of San Bernadino County, California. The 2nd image was taken at the same magnification and using UVLW 365 nm light. The third image is the same magnification and taken using UVSW 254 nm light. This mineral is listed in several books as having white fluorescence under both SW and LW UV. Looks pretty danged blue to me! HA HA So, His Majesty took one final photograph using a yellow lens filter with the LW light, looks a lot more white, like it was supposed to, principally because the blue blocker yellow lens removed the blue from the image! That picture is what I expected it to look like!

Anyway, enjoy the pictures! KT

Attachments

• Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, natural light.jpg
    Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, natural light.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, UVLW 365 nm.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 73
  • Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, UVSW 254 nm.jpg
    Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, UVSW 254 nm.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Artinite, Artinite Pit, CA 20X, filtered 365 nm LW UV.jpg