Coinstar secrets & tips for gold & diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB

Forum Supporter
I decided to share some secrets for the ones who are hardcore CS hunters and for some of the non-believers out there. These require a bit of testicular fortitude and playing stupid , but cannot be used on a daily basis at the same locations for obvious reasons !

You want to be able to gain access to the INSIDE of the machine. Managers of the markets will have keys. Be nice and don't go in when it's crazy busy. You 1st want to visually check through the holes in the tray where you dump the coins in to see what's in there. This is where the good stuff is. Last week I got another gold and diamond stud earring , plus a junker. I say - " I was pouring my coins out of the bag in the tray and noticed my wife's earring fall through before it was too late" for access. Something to that effect. Be very quick and stealth in grabbing stuff out of there. Also , wet coins will jam the machine ! Another excuse to gain access. This will get you to the reject tray ( small plastic bin) below the hopper. In here you will find the bent coins , foreign , big silver , sticky coins , etc. I have made some spectacular finds in these trays.

You want to position yourself so as they unlock and swing the door open you swoop right in. Hopefully they are a bit distracted with store operations and not focusing too much on you. This all needs to be done with 1 hand and in under 20 seconds. You don't want them in there doing the work for you. Have a game plan with a sense of urgency as they have better things to do. Have trust in THE KOB !.....because there can be gold in these things.....

The hidden life of KOB! The secret life of a coinstar detectorist! Pretty cool information, you have to wonder what amazing stuff makes its way down in those machines and how much the person cleaning it out makes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sounds deceiving.. The nice workers at Grocery stores are usually underpaid, overworked and don't have time for this..

Sounds deceiving.. The nice workers at Grocery stores are usually underpaid, overworked and don't have time for this..
It usually only takes a few minutes for them to get the keys , walk over , and open it for you. I have no control over how they are paid or under worked for that matter. A non issue. Just maybe.....they need a break from monotony , so this it. No big deal. Deceiving ? Ok , then don't do it. But now I taught you to look in the tray and YOU WILL. And when you see a gold pendant in there.....let somebody else get it.
And if a sign says "No detecting" , don't do that either. Also , obey all traffic signs when you drive !

This isn’t stealing. If you consider this stealing then our hobby is suspect at best. Deceitful sure but stealing it is not.

This isn’t stealing. If you consider this stealing then our hobby is suspect at best. Deceitful sure but stealing it is not.

I guess it could be considered stealing, anything that the coinstar doesnt spit back out in the reject tray to the customer, belongs to Coinstar I would suspect. I have no issues with what the KOB is doing, but coinstar might. I cant even bring myself to check the reject slot most times :laughing:

Nothing is being done illegally here guys. You have customers who use a service , something goes wrong and for whatever reason , THEY abandon it. No different than people dropping coins on the street or in a park. Some people are embarrassed to pick up a penny off the ground because they feel low class ( especially if others are nearby). Some have an issue where they are not comfortable with door knocking for a permission...

It helps if you have a repor with the store manager who WILLINGLY gives you access. In a way , I'm helping coinstar clean their machine of debris for free ! Do I push the envelope ? Yes. But on occasion I get gold and that is the point. If you're a bit "shy" , put a piece of gum on a pencil and go through the top holes of the tray to retrieve your lost earring. Ever lose coins in a vending machine ? Then you smack it and more coins come out ? Then the goody - 2- shoes people should all turn that in to the store ! Remember , this doesn't happen often guys , it's rare. Your not wrapping a chain from your truck to the ATM inside your local 7-11.

Please, if I have to stoop to this kind of game, regardless of what the goal is, somebody please put me out of my misery. JMO

It usually only takes a few minutes for them to get the keys , walk over , and open it for you. I have no control over how they are paid or under worked for that matter. A non issue. Just maybe.....they need a break from monotony , so this it. No big deal. Deceiving ? Ok , then don't do it. But now I taught you to look in the tray and YOU WILL. And when you see a gold pendant in there.....let somebody else get it.
And if a sign says "No detecting" , don't do that either. Also , obey all traffic signs when you drive !

Instead of doing this... go to the car washing places ask to take their vacuum cleaning bags home... go through that stuff lots of coins and jewelry and you won't be looked at like the scavenger you are :lol:

Instead of doing this... go to the car washing places ask to take their vacuum cleaning bags home... go through that stuff lots of coins and jewelry and you won't be looked at like the scavenger you are :lol:
That's a great idea ! No shame in my game. Can you imagine all the treasure Tom finds from his street sweepers ?

The only one stealing is Coinstar. Their machine rejects legitimate U.S. coins and hides them in a tray that only they can access. Legally, any coin rejected by their machine should be returned to it's rightful owner. Coinstar keeping ANY coins and not paying for them, regardless of what they are or what condition they are in is a criminal act, in my opinion.

The only one stealing is Coinstar. Their machine rejects legitimate U.S. coins and hides them in a tray that only they can access. Legally, any coin rejected by their machine should be returned to it's rightful owner. Coinstar keeping ANY coins and not paying for them, regardless of what they are or what condition they are in is a criminal act, in my opinion.

Im sure in their fine little printing there is a clause covering this issue. Basically a use at your own risk deal. If the customer doesn't like it they are free to take the coins somewhere else prior to using the coinstar machine.
There's just no way they would be getting away with this for years and years across a few countries without having some sort of legal clause.

Grabbing some coins from the Coinstar tray is no different than picking up coins off the floor or the parking lot.

uhhhh.... hardly. If the coins are just sitting there. But asking someone to open the machine is a whole different ball game.
But as far as I know there is no law against lying to the supermarket manager. If he willingly opens the door I'm pretty sure there is no judge that would convict for fraud or theft.

Suppose a lady gets home, parking lot, or front door (still on the property) and realized her ring fell off into the machine. At that exact same time KOB came around and got the guy it open it for him.
They will surely check the cameras once she realizes its gone. Is it against the law? Remember, she is still on the property.
A lot of "what ifs" but with 1000s and 1000s of these machines I'm sure it has happened before.

This thread cracks me up.... we are scavengers and we are telling another scavenger he is being unethical... you guys kill me... :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom