Oldest Nickel, and icky silver piercing thing.

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Went to V nickel park today, and dug a first year mint 1883 'cent' V nickel! The signal was iffy (a mix of 12 through 17), and the NOX indicated between 4 and 5 on the depth. Figured it was deeper than most of the beaver tails Ive collected there, so I dug down and picked up an odd metal object around 7" deep. When I rechecked the hole, I picked up something a little deeper, and about 9 to 10" down, I dug up an 188? something V nickel.

20211130_145309 (2).jpg

When I got home and cleaned it up, I saw the last date number was a 3. Nice! Oldest nickel I have ever dug, and the first year mint for the V's. There are two types of 1883 V's, the no cents, and cents. The reverse has a thick patina on it, but with a toothpick I was able to barely make out a C on the bottom.

20211130_165517 (4).jpg

Another first for me today was finding an icky silver piecing ring. Wasnt very deep, but it rang up well enough to dig. A magnifying glass was needed, but .925 was engraved on the smallest silver part.

20211130_183848_Burst01 (2).jpg

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Congrats on the "V" nickels and good luck in your quest for a Shield Nickel.

Thanks D4C. I never thought Id find a seated anything here until last September. Just gotta keep fishin!

Congrats on the early 'V' nickel. It's a coin that I hope to find some day.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I have found over 40 buffs and Vs at this park, a majority are post 1900, but every once in awhile an oldie pops up. This park had two 'zoos' here once, if you could call them that. One I remember as a kid in the early 60's. It had monkeys, a pair of big cats, and other critters. Parts of the den areas are still standing. The other was around in the early 1900s, and I think there was a fee if you wanted to feed the critters. Thats where I think all of these nickels came from.

Back
Top Bottom