• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great day metal detecting a 1863 battle site

Barneymartin3

Found all these beauties on a ridge gap over looking a known 1863 battle site. The battle site has been searched out for many years but I've been concentrating on hills and ridges around the site and the strategy finally paid off.

Attachments

• 1863-1.jpg
    1863-1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 407
I would definitely say that strategy do finally pay off. Those are some great finds. Congratulations

Found all these beauties on a ridge gap over looking a known 1863 battle site. The battle site has been searched out for many years but I've been concentrating on hills and ridges around the site and the strategy finally paid off.

Great bunch of finds!

What detector did you use?

Was there a specific reason you chose this hilltop and ridge top strategy? or just a change?

What do you think the average depth was for those finds?

I use a Garrett Max. The average depth was between 6 & 8 inches for these bullets. It all depends on the hardness of the ground on which they fell. The fact that most known Civil War sites have been dug out for the past 40 years I tend to look for small outskirt camps and trails leading to and from the sites. They always camped on hills especially near springs and streams. I have always believed that the battles did not end on the main battle field. When troops scattered they were chased so metal detecting the surrounding area of a known battle field does make sense.

Back
Top Bottom