Why I Knowingly Dig Pennies & Even Trash

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
For all of you out there that use Equinoxes, and know when a penny is going to be a penny, have you not seen all those videos of gold that comes up in the penny range? Of course I know that 99.9% of the time it’s going to be a penny. But what about the remaining .1%? Aluminum bottle cap? Silver ring? Maybe even a gold? On my last hunt in the wet sand I was in “the zone” and just dug. Although I got some greenies rarely do I expect to pluck gold down here in a wet sand hunt. Has it happened? Yes, but I know my chances are FAR slimmer than in the water. When I believe that gold is not going to happen the fun for me is passing that 100-coin mark if I am on that type of hunt. Each hunt brings unique opportunities and I try to explore what I think will improve my chances of what I deem successful – whether it’s a gold ring or 100 pennies.

Now as far as digging what I am nearly 100% sure is going to be a ferrous target, or a bottle cap when I am in the water with my Excal (“Merlin”); when the targets are slow in coming, digging those targets helps me prolong my hunt. Swinging the coil, especially when the current is strong, takes a toll. If I dig junk targets it helps my swinging arm rest so that I can make it to my 4–5-hour mark which is what I average and shoot for on a hunt. When the targets are coming then I’ll let the Excal and my experience do its job. I love finding gold as much as anyone on here, but I am more addicted to the “thrill of the hunt” and “getting out there” than anything else. If this hobby were only about finding gold I would’ve quit a long time ago.

My two gold rings found with my Equinox rang up in the penny range. Not the zincoln or Felix range which are all over the bouncy bounce scale!:lol:

Felix... could you do me a favor... use shorthand... I tried reading your post and my eyes just glazed over lol... my ADD said forget it :lol:

Felix-cat : The only thing I would add to your post is this :

While what you are saying is true (that gold rings can and will read in the trash , and even up to zinc penny range), that to simply say : "Dig all these signals if you want to find gold rings" is NOT THE RECIPE FOR FINDING GOLD RINGS.

It's already a *given* that gold rings come in all over the scale: Dainty ones can come in at foil. Medium bands can come in at nickel or tab. Fatter bands can come in at square tab. And yes, a very very fat beefy 10k class ring, or super bowl ring, can come in at nearly penny. This is already a "given".

So the "trick to finding gold rings" is NOT to "go out to junky parks and dig junk and pennies till your arms fall off". Instead, the trick is : Location location location.

Felix... could you do me a favor... use shorthand... I tried reading your post and my eyes just glazed over lol... my ADD said forget it :lol:
I see your out of meds again I'll get some form some of my students and ship it right up! :lol:

While what you are saying is true (that gold rings can and will read in the trash , and even up to zinc penny range), that to simply say : "Dig all these signals if you want to find gold rings" is NOT THE RECIPE FOR FINDING GOLD RINGS.

It's already a *given* that gold rings come in all over the scale: Dainty ones can come in at foil. Medium bands can come in at nickel or tab. Fatter bands can come in at square tab. And yes, a very very fat beefy 10k class ring, or super bowl ring, can come in at nearly penny. This is already a "given".

So the "trick to finding gold rings" is NOT to "go out to junky parks and dig junk and pennies till your arms fall off". Instead, the trick is : Location location location.
I never said it was a recipe for finding gold Tom. I said that gold "can be in the ingredients for finding pennies". Nor did I say "dig all these signals". But I will dig them, most of the time, given the majority of circumstances which I hunt under.

I am with you bud

"Why I Knowingly Dig Pennies & Even Trash"

Water targets are few and far between these days, so I am back to using a pulse machine and dig in any thing that beeps, grunts, chirps, bips, or scratches.

Those crappy signals that so many give up on because it doesn't sound so good. might have a change in tone after the first couple scoops.

This is my 19th year living in Florida, and also 19 years of water detecting here. Four different water detectors over that time and I can say none of those 4 were fool proof. Iron tones can turn north and high tone can turn south.

He's talking about on a beach. Not a park.....

Geez guys , I know it's Thanksgiving but is everyone lit up like a Christmas tree already ?

He's talking about on a beach. Not a park.....

And now I realize this was in the "beach" section of the forum. I stand corrected.

That (certain beaches anyhow) is the better locations to find rings at. Esp. warm-water swim beaches, and especially after mother nature takes out all the nuisance light-weight items.

A few years ago I was looking for a lost ring at a 90 year old house that was once a brothel, speakeasy and a hangout spot for Chicago gangsters and their molls. Took 3 trips but finally found the lost ring. I continued hunting per my agreement with the owner and the last spot I had 3 aluminum foil signals. The first 2 were bits of foil.

BUT the third was an unbelievable 14K ring with 6 diamonds and a 4 carat natural blue sapphire. Some gangster’s girlfriend must have been sad to have lost it.

This is part of my YouTube video IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF GANGSTERS.

Attachments

• 8BEC66DA-134F-47E3-9433-18BC766E4497.jpeg
    8BEC66DA-134F-47E3-9433-18BC766E4497.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 070D7236-ADD3-41A2-8325-12E9C67B3DAC.jpeg
    070D7236-ADD3-41A2-8325-12E9C67B3DAC.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 560
  • 12546F3F-A9D5-4794-9E4A-21DFDA97CD31.jpeg
    12546F3F-A9D5-4794-9E4A-21DFDA97CD31.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 558
For all of you out there that use Equinoxes, and know when a penny is going to be a penny, have you not seen all those videos of gold that comes up in the penny range? Of course I know that 99.9% of the time it’s going to be a penny. But what about the remaining .1%? Aluminum bottle cap? Silver ring? Maybe even a gold? On my last hunt in the wet sand I was in “the zone” and just dug. Although I got some greenies rarely do I expect to pluck gold down here in a wet sand hunt. Has it happened? Yes, but I know my chances are FAR slimmer than in the water. When I believe that gold is not going to happen the fun for me is passing that 100-coin mark if I am on that type of hunt. Each hunt brings unique opportunities and I try to explore what I think will improve my chances of what I deem successful – whether it’s a gold ring or 100 pennies.

Now as far as digging what I am nearly 100% sure is going to be a ferrous target, or a bottle cap when I am in the water with my Excal (“Merlin”); when the targets are slow in coming, digging those targets helps me prolong my hunt. Swinging the coil, especially when the current is strong, takes a toll. If I dig junk targets it helps my swinging arm rest so that I can make it to my 4–5-hour mark which is what I average and shoot for on a hunt. When the targets are coming then I’ll let the Excal and my experience do its job. I love finding gold as much as anyone on here, but I am more addicted to the “thrill of the hunt” and “getting out there” than anything else. If this hobby were only about finding gold I would’ve quit a long time ago.

For me it is all about the gold and silver on the beach

I have found gold and many, many silver in the penny range. I never ever pass them up.

Steve

Not sure what type of detector you are using???

Not once Have I EVER thought a piece of gold found with my Equinox was a penny.

The highest ID# for any of the gold I have found is 16. Even with bouncy groups of numbers this would be WAY off the mark of pennies!

I see why now I did not do good in High School. My eyes and brain said skip once I read Craigs post. :putertired:

For me it is all about the gold and silver on the beach

I would have to say the gold only for me. I do think if I hunted some place where the water was clear and the temps were warm all the time maybe then I would think different.

Not sure what type of detector you are using???

Not once Have I EVER thought a piece of gold found with my Equinox was a penny.

The highest ID# for any of the gold I have found is 16. Even with bouncy groups of numbers this would be WAY off the mark of pennies!

I shouldn't tell you that the only gold ring I have found so far was a 9.9 gram 14k wedding band that rang up solidly as a 20 on my equinox.....but it's true.

I am more addicted to the “thrill of the hunt” and “getting out there” than anything else. If this hobby were only about finding gold I would’ve quit a long time ago.

I agree Felix. I love the hunt and the thrill and waves and the wind and the times when the full moon is hanging over the water and the times when there is no moon and the stars fill the sky and everything there is to see on the beach. the sunrise...the dolphins....you know....stuff. If all I wanted was silver and gold I would just get a part time job and spend all I make on old silver and gold. It would be much easier.....and I would for sure have a nicer collection. That could be because I'm terrible at metal detecting, though. LOL We'll see how I feel 10 years out when I am an excellent detectorist !

Gold is out there

Relying on a tight spectrum of VDIs is a mistake. Depending on size, and
alloy materials any detector can issue a range from near top of the scale down to foil like numbers. A huge class ring laden with silver may ring up like a quarter, A tiny ladies wedding band (wire like) might register as a gum wrapper.
I am pretty sure there are some out there with an opinion that differs from mine, so detecting is like your private business. You run it the way you want.

Lol MY OPINION

Felix if i ever vacation in Miami , ill seed the beach with zinc's , use the EQ , let that 1% pass , get the gold & watch eye candy while i laugh at you digging zincs all day , I will recover more gold in the time your wasting digging zincs , finding treasure , sorry I disagree with your theory , no meds needed :laughing: :realitycheck::hornetsnest::jawdrop: Just think of the gold you lost , in the time you spent digging zincs , a lot more than 1% , I would like to see that real percentage , at least 25% lost gold :holycow::police:

Back
Top Bottom