EXTREMELY RARE PRINCE OF WALES 23rd BRITISH REGIMENTAL BADGE REVOLUTIONARY WAR

Ugh!

Well, I thought maybe I came to the right place to inquire about my find, guess I picked the wrong site, doesn't appear anyone is willing to help it is apparently just a place to spew testosterone and have pissing matches. what a shame :shrug:

Well, I thought maybe I came to the right place to inquire about my find, guess I picked the wrong site, doesn't appear anyone is willing to help it is apparently just a place to spew testosterone and have pissing matches. what a shame :shrug:

no it's pretty much just that one guy.

ask away, we'll help!

....Very cool George79 and thanks for sharing yours also. Ive been searching all day long and trying to find out more info on it. I seen that some stuff didnt necessarily have the regiment numbers on them and i believe it wasnt till after the 1750's that they started using the regiment #. Whats odd is i had found this piece within 15 feet of where i found my shield and this is a 1700's sword hanger. Odd coincidence maybe but this could have been a stop off area for the soldiers. Mine was found in an area where Revolution war activity was present. As Benedict Arnold Burned down New London Ct. And where i found mine was less than 20 miles from this area. This sword holder is just giving me a little more hope. Not saying its a definite thing but it gives me Hope.

Hey, ....its 4 am in the morning over in New Zealand, why aren't I in bed? This is slightly off topic to the fantastic shield mount that was found and is the actual topic of the thread, but I've scrolled through those pages of finds from the Colchester metal detecting site that another member gave us and I saw at least two sword hangers that look very similar to yours and here is another image of one on a different page to the one someone else gave us ......a bit down the page.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/2014Marchfinds.html

I loved scrolling through those pages. What a great site to troll through and I will definitely use it to try to identify some of the stuff I have....I have found one of those brass toy cannons they keep finding...cool!

I threw on away in my early days of detecting figured it was junk....now I keep it all until I'm positive. I found mine in nh.

We found a set of these "fittings" recently up behind my inlaws cabin in NH.
I searched for days and finally realized it was three feathers engraved on it which brought me to Prince of Wales insignia. Which then google brought me to this thread.
I sent my pics to Don Troiani and he confirmed they were Revolutionary War British fittings from a horse bridle. They have two posts like the first one shown in thread.
Needless to say we only detected in that area for about an hour but have a return trip to be scheduled soon.
It was a very exciting find for us.
My FIL found one and my son and i found the other.
He gave up on the hole and on my sweep back around i got the hit for the other one about a foot away from where he dug. :laughing:

image2-vi.jpg

image3-vi.jpg

Hi all after doing some research tonight i came across a site Historical Shop.com and came across this badge. After seeing it i hurried into my room and recovered this from my shelf of finds, something that i had found this summer at one i my favorite places to hunt. In the article it reads this...
Revolutionary War 23rd British Regiment " The Prince Of Wales Regiment" incised design of the Three Plumes characteristic with this famous Regiment. Brass 1 1/4 shield design. Extremely Rare and noted in Don Troianis book on Revolutionary War Buttons describing the badge of this Regiment as Being the devise of the Prince Of Wales. The three Plumes coming out of a Princes Coronet. Rarer Than any Button from This Regiment. The one listed on this web site sold it for 750.00$. I am so pumped up about finding this Badge and also about going through some of my other finds from this area as they also may be from the Revolutionary War era. Thanks All for looking and HH. steve
Hey hey now I have one
0f3c71195a4f4ba4f5068af94fd3bf52.jpg
a1fc518b2e6d627f3b504207802a7258.jpg

Greg

We found a set of these "fittings" recently up behind my inlaws cabin in NH.
I searched for days and finally realized it was three feathers engraved on it which brought me to Prince of Wales insignia. Which then google brought me to this thread.
I sent my pics to Don Troiani and he confirmed they were Revolutionary War British fittings from a horse bridle. They have two posts like the first one shown in thread.
Needless to say we only detected in that area for about an hour but have a return trip to be scheduled soon.
It was a very exciting find for us.
My FIL found one and my son and i found the other.
He gave up on the hole and on my sweep back around i got the hit for the other one about a foot away from where he dug. :laughing:

image2-vi.jpg

image3-vi.jpg

Where in New Hampshire were you? Im in nh and was just curious. If u r on the coast or inland. Just wondering why or how they got there. If someone lost them later or actually back in the late 1700s.

Very cool

Where in New Hampshire were you? Im in nh and was just curious. If u r on the coast or inland. Just wondering why or how they got there. If someone lost them later or actually back in the late 1700s.

Very cool

Due west of you.
Near Franklin.

Hudson Valley fowler with same Prince of Wales shield

I hope you will forgive me for re-opening this old thread but I wonder what you all will think of this badge in context. I just got this musket in the mail a couple of days ago and today was my first chance to really look at it. It is a ca 1750s American-made musket in the Hudson Valley style. It has the Prince of Wales shield set into the wrist but it is obviously period added and upside down. Not like it was made for this gun I mean. This makes me think that the musket owner added this shield thumb plate as a souvenir. It was probably captured from one of the early battles before older fowlers like this were replaced with military muskets.

Attachments

• 245506803_10158560167196492_8099666604428411185_n.jpg
    245506803_10158560167196492_8099666604428411185_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 225
Back
Top Bottom