iPhone 13 reunited with owner

Nice return, I bet some east coast guy is sending you a largie right now since they are everywhere back there.

I know, right ? Us west coast guys ought to demand our "fair share" of LC's and colonial coppers, each time we do a charitable act like this. Because, sheesshh, certainly our east coast brethren should take pity on us. And reward us for our kind deeds, Right ?

And then if they can share any repatriation charity stories we west coast guys *might* send them a few S mint coins, to even things out. Does that sound like a deal metaladdict ? :laughing:

I just love MD stories with happy endings and happy owners. So nice of you to go through all that trouble for him.

Silverlegacy, thanx for joining the hunt. I always tell other show & tell guys "love them md'r to the rescue stories". So it was fun to share one myself this time :)

20 bucks? Jeezzzz

Well, you won't always get tips in life for doing kind things. For example: If you help a little old lady across the street, or stop to help a car accident victim, are you doing so *ONLY* because you expect to get-something in return ? Or are you maybe (just maybe) doing something to be nice ? :shock:

Not saying that I don't enjoy the tips and rewards. But just saying, I'm prepared for whatever comes my way.

Postscript : The fellow sent an added $50 tip via paypal, after getting his phone in the mail.

thanx everyone for joining in on the hunt.

Some people (as evidenced by past threads on this topic) would say to sell the phone on ebay. Because yes, I appear to be getting a net zero for this.

Which only seems to imply that we humans should *only* do something for our fellow man, only *if* we expect to get something in return. In other words, as if we should ONLY do things that benefit ourselves, eh ?

I guess, in a strict materialist outlook (that we are nothing more than "meat all the way down"), then sure : Don't lift a finger if it doesn't benefit you in-the-end. After all, we should only be concerned with things that get our genes into the next generation ?

Like for example, you use the word "right" in your comment. Ok, what is "right" ? In a strict materialist sense, "right" would be whatever best benefits you (getting your genes into the next generation) . Thus Yes, there's lots of philosophical/theological implications for the debate. :roll:

On a different level. Here is the Georgia law on lost property. It is pretty darn clear.

Georgia Law O.C.G.A.
A person commits the offense of theft of lost or mislaid property when he comes into control of property that he knows or learns to have been lost or mislaid and appropriates the property to his own use without first taking reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner.

California

2.56.010 Responsibility of finder of lost property.
Any person who finds a lost item of personal property, including any money, goods, things in action, or other personal property, is not bound to take charge of it, but if such person does take charge of it, that person shall, within a reasonable time, inform the owner, if known, and restore the property to the owner in compliance with Section 2080 of the California Civil Code. If the owner is unknown or has not claimed the property within a reasonable time, the finder shall turn the property over to the police department of the city in compliance with Section 2080.1 of the California Civil Code.

The bolded line in the California code seems to get people worried. I wonder where some of that property in small California cities end up?

On a different level. Here is the Georgia law on lost property. It is pretty darn clear.

Georgia Law O.C.G.A.
A person commits the offense of theft of lost or mislaid property when he comes into control of property that he knows or learns to have been lost or mislaid and appropriates the property to his own use without first taking reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner.

California

2.56.010 Responsibility of finder of lost property.
Any person who finds a lost item of personal property, including any money, goods, things in action, or other personal property, is not bound to take charge of it, but if such person does take charge of it, that person shall, within a reasonable time, inform the owner, if known, and restore the property to the owner in compliance with Section 2080 of the California Civil Code. If the owner is unknown or has not claimed the property within a reasonable time, the finder shall turn the property over to the police department of the city in compliance with Section 2080.1 of the California Civil Code.

The bolded line in the California code seems to get people worried. I wonder where some of that property in small California cities end up?

A couple things regarding California. An important statement is "reasonable amount of time". According to who ? Think about that , lol. The biggest is the last. If it's not claimed in a reasonable amount of time with a certain amount of effort , turn it in to the police. Make sure you all don't break the law ! They will throw away the key here for that. Letting real criminals walk the streets. So....what do they do with long lost items ? I'm sure some in the department attempt to find the owner "themselves" or it ends up in police auctions.

..... finder shall turn the property over to the police department of the city ....

Yes, this has been brought up before in threads on the subject. And yes, all 50 states have something similar. The Georgia one you cite is kind of goofy. Because, gee, I consider "reasonable measures" to be : Whisper at my loudest voice : "Yoohoo, did anyone lose this ?" :roll:

But yes, in CA it doesn't leave that option open. It is pretty clear that we are supposed to be taking items over-a-given-value, to the police dept. for proper L&F procedure. The option of doing our own repatriation attempt is not given.

.... They will throw away the key here for that. Letting real criminals walk the streets.....

I highly doubt that ANYONE has ever been arrested & gone to jail for failing to obey L&F laws. Not md'rs anyhow. Got a link or example of jail for L&F issues here in CA KOB ? :laughing:

.... I'm sure some in the department attempt to find the owner "themselves" or it ends up in police auctions.

Supposedly, if no one claims the item in 30 days, the finder is welcome to claim it. If you decide you want the item, There might be costs/fees you have to pay. For their cost at running an L&F ad in the local newspaper.

But Kob, I know for a fact that in all your years of md'ing, you have dutifully run to the police Dept. each and every time you've found a gold ring on the beach. Right ? :?:

Yes, this has been brought up before in threads on the subject. And yes, all 50 states have something similar. The Georgia one you cite is kind of goofy. Because, gee, I consider "reasonable measures" to be : Whisper at my loudest voice : "Yoohoo, did anyone lose this ?" :roll:

But yes, in CA it doesn't leave that option open. It is pretty clear that we are supposed to be taking items over-a-given-value, to the police dept. for proper L&F procedure. The option of doing our own repatriation attempt is not given.

I highly doubt that ANYONE has ever been arrested & gone to jail for failing to obey L&F laws. Not md'rs anyhow. Got a link or example of jail for L&F issues here in CA KOB ? :laughing:

Supposedly, if no one claims the item in 30 days, the finder is welcome to claim it. If you decide you want the item, There might be costs/fees you have to pay. For their cost at running an L&F ad in the local newspaper.

In the case of Georgia, I suspect these laws were drafted when valuable animals like cows and horses got loose and someone found them. If I am not mistaken out west in the 1800's you could get shot or hung for taking someone's horse.

Back
Top Bottom