Fun finds tonight - what is this 5" long key??

Iggyks

Elite Member
I seemed to be on an automotive streak tonight with the 1982 Hot Wheels Wind Splitter, the 1950s/'60s Ford key, and the key fob - in same hole but no longer attached -with a 1905 Rolls Royce pictured. The bizarre 5" key is not from a car though... the shaft is hollow and the teeth on each side almost look like reverse of the other side. Has the number 121 on it. Some obsolete style of hotel key??

Attachments

• IMG_6105.jpg
    IMG_6105.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_6109.jpg
    IMG_6109.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_6112.JPG
    IMG_6112.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 380
I wonder if the long keys make them harder to pick

Attachments

• Layer_5__04590.jpg
    Layer_5__04590.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 315
Checked with the folks who previously lived there and they have a gun safe, going to stop by and see if it fits. Not quite a ring return, but…

I agree, most likely a safe key. Very cool find. Congrats. What also caught my eye was the Rolls Royce tag. Back when I first started, my first yard permission (next door) I found the same tag only mine had a 1927 Bugatti on it. Funny thing is I don't recall seeing another one posted till yours. Huh ? Oh well cool finds. Mark

I agree, most likely a safe key. Very cool find. Congrats. What also caught my eye was the Rolls Royce tag. Back when I first started, my first yard permission (next door) I found the same tag only mine had a 1927 Bugatti on it. Funny thing is I don't recall seeing another one posted till yours. Huh ? Oh well cool finds. Mark

I am going to try to figure out more about those tags. Maybe giveaways or premiums?

Most definitely! My picks aren't much longer than that key! :lol:

Not to mention it being double sided it might be a wafer lock, which for some reason I never have much luck picking. I am willing to bet I could not pick the lock for this key, and I am not a horrid lock pick.

Not to mention it being double sided it might be a wafer lock, which for some reason I never have much luck picking. I am willing to bet I could not pick the lock for this key, and I am not a horrid lock pick.
It's a lever lock, and they require special tools to pick. Very different from common pin & tumbler lock mechanisms or wafer locks. Lever locks are much more common in Europe than they are here.
I pick locks, and can pick standard pin & tumblers, tubular locks, wafer locks, dimple locks, and most disc detainer locks, but have never bothered to learn lever locks due to their relative scarcity here.

Looks like a safe key on a safe with a digital keypad. The physical key is for when the battery dies on the keypad or if you forget the combination. I have one on my Ammo safe. The face of the keypad unscrews allowing access to the keyhole. Teotwawki12 posted a picture if the keypad above.

Back
Top Bottom