A little DIY Display Project...

Pete e

Elite Member
Given that it’s far too hot outside to detect, I decided to put together three small stands to display some Roman pottery shards I found while out detecting.

The back ground is that at some point, when I get enough decent finds, I d like to get a tall multi shelf glass curio cabinet so I can display the finds rather than have them hidden away.

Having looked at pictures of various such display cabinets online, I know I want to show a proportion of the finds vertically, not just laid flat on the cabinet shelves.

These three shards are to add a bit of vertical interest on what I am tentatively aiming to be the Roman shelf…

The uprights are not fixed in the bases yet allowing me to shorten them once I see them on the shelf…Just need to print out some small labels next….

Attachments

• ED563599-AE93-469F-B307-C39DD02E512F.jpg
    ED563599-AE93-469F-B307-C39DD02E512F.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 207
Very nice and leaves room below for other goodies! KT agrees with you that pot shards just laying flat do not display well, but His Majesty likes your stands...emphasis is on the pottery, not on the stand...plain and simple is good!:tiphat::agreed:

I like this a lot. Did you buy the stands or did you make them from scratch?

I like this a lot. Did you buy the stands or did you make them from scratch?

Thanks for the kind words! I made the stands from scratch. The base is 5mm black acrylic pre cut off eBay...

The main upright is cut from a stainless steel kabab skewer and the "grips " are cut from 1mm stainless steel baiting needle's I had on hand for sea fishing..

Ideally I could do with some shrink tubing over the grips to protect the shards, but don't have any handy at the minute..

I know some folks use brass wire for these grips as it's easier to bend and softer ect..You just need to use something thin enough to be unobtrusive, but thick enough to be reasonably strong.

As i don't weld, I used a drilled out .22 rimfire case filled with 2 part epoxy to join the upright to the grips.

Once built, I gave them a coat of black project paint to match the base...

Below is a pic showing the joint between the grips and the body..

Attachments

• 7D9A12C4-ED0C-4626-A168-A6E632A94DEC.jpg
    7D9A12C4-ED0C-4626-A168-A6E632A94DEC.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 175
Very nice, thanks for the explanation on how you did it. It really does look great, I love the simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom