iPhone 13 reunited with owner

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
iPhone 13 found and re-united : I was hunting at a local beach this morning, doing a posse-hunt for a lady's gold ring. I wasn't able to find her ring. Because a foot of sand has come into the inter-tidal zone in the last few days. But the lone signal I WAS able to get, was this cell-phone. It was nearly a foot deep. But alas, no ring šŸ™

The phone was in soft soupy wet sand. So I naturally assumed it would be waterlogged toast. After air-compressing out all the orifices, and letting it dry out today, I decided to see what would happen if I tried to power it on. To my surprise, it flickered as if it were trying to come to life . But battery too dead to do anything but flicker.

I compared it to iPhone evolution guide pix, and found out it's the latest model out. Over $1k to buy a new one, right ? And used ones selling for $700 or whatever. And non-functional dead ones can sell for $100 and up, just for parts alone.

I was able to get a friend's apple chord to put a 15 min. charge on it. Then when we hit the power button, it sprung to life ! Giving an alarm signal beep beep beep. And a message saying "Lost iPhone, please call me " And a phone #.

We called the guy. He was so stoked that someone had his phone. He had lost it ~3 days earlier, and just assumed it had been washed out to sea. They had spent quite a bit of time in the dark with flashlights, trying to find it. And thought it was gone forever. But *just in case*, he had sent the "lost-phone" alert message, to pop-up if anyone powered it on.

Turns out these iPhone 13's are water resistant. And boy are they ! I can't believe this thing survived and could be powered on. Quite a testament to the quality.

The fellow sent me $20 by paypal to cover shipping. And I'll be mailing it to his home in Utah.

Attachments

• phone 1.jpg
    phone 1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 196
  • phone 3.jpg
    phone 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 203
  • phone 4.jpg
    phone 4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 195
I guess I can't blame the guy for only rewarding you with 20 bucks. I suppose I would do the same until the phone was in my hands.

Well , looks like someone put a price on public relations. $20 bucks won't even cover the shipping. Now
....go get that ring. Use a PI please. That's a long drive for me...

I guess I can't blame the guy for only rewarding you with 20 bucks. I suppose I would do the same until the phone was in my hands.

I hadn't been commissioned by this guy. It was just a fluke find. I never asked for a tip or a reward during the call with him (figured I'd let him suggest it, ... not me).

When it came time to figure out how to get it back to him, I suggested that rather than sending me a SASE, to simply send me some $ on paypal, for whatever it takes. And knowing that there's 1-size-fits all boxes for like $18 at the post office, I suggested "$20".

Figuring that if he wants to add a tip, I wouldn't be the one to solicit that. Maybe he'll add it later, but .... even if not ..... I'm ok with that. Just glad to help.

..... $20 bucks won't even cover the shipping. Now

I think there's the little pre-paid envelopes/boxes that'll fit this, that are a tad under $20. And if not, his email said that if it ends up being more, to let him know. Thus no, I'm not taking a loss. As long as I'm not counting my time hunting him down, my time spent standing in line at the post office, etc....:laughing:

C'mon Kob, sometimes you help a little old lady across the street EVEN WHEN SHE DOESN'T GIVE YOU A $10 tip ! You don't always need for there to be "something in it for you". :cool3:

Congrats, Tom, on the recovery and return! When you think of the important info, special photos, etc., that people accumulate on their smart phones (often without backing them up elsewhere), it's no wonder he was thrilled. You probably made his day... way to go! :thumbsup:

I hadn't been commissioned by this guy. It was just a fluke find. I never asked for a tip.......

Oh, I'm not questioning anything you did. I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm just saying if somebody found my phone then it would be naĆÆve to PayPal anything more than shipping costs, or even commit to a later reward amount, before having the iPhone in hand.

That must have sucked big time to have to climb on that plane back to Utah, with your $1000+ phone laying in the sand in Cali.:tissue:

Roger

Good on you Tom. And I'm with you as far as no reward needed. Just doing the right thing and helping another person out is in itself is a reward. And I agree, karma owes you an LC and a nice one at that.:lol: Too bad about the ladies ring, maybe you can find it before some pirate comes along and adds it to his treasure chest. That lost phone feature is pretty cool. I just had to upgrade my phone, wonder if Androids have that feature. Good luck on your return. Mark

This story should be a sticky. Of course, the way Tom likes to respond, it probably will šŸ˜‰

This story was a nice way to start the day while sitting down to read the Metal Detecting World's News and having my morning coffee. Thanks Tom!

thanx everyone for joining in on the hunt.

Good on you Tom. And I'm with you as far as no reward needed. Just doing the right thing and helping another person out is in itself is a reward...

Some people (as evidenced by past threads on this topic) would say to sell the phone on ebay. Because yes, I appear to be getting a net zero for this.

Which only seems to imply that we humans should *only* do something for our fellow man, only *if* we expect to get something in return. In other words, as if we should ONLY do things that benefit ourselves, eh ?

I guess, in a strict materialist outlook (that we are nothing more than "meat all the way down"), then sure : Don't lift a finger if it doesn't benefit you in-the-end. After all, we should only be concerned with things that get our genes into the next generation ?

Like for example, you use the word "right" in your comment. Ok, what is "right" ? In a strict materialist sense, "right" would be whatever best benefits you (getting your genes into the next generation) . Thus Yes, there's lots of philosophical/theological implications for the debate. :roll:

It's amazing how much we rely on our phones. Most would prefer to lose their wallet. Nice save..

Back
Top Bottom