new guy

where_is_it

Just wanted to say hi and share my first experience with you all. Im from southern Maine and my wife bought me my first detector. A bounty iv. I took it into my woods were I had seen some old buckets and found an old ceramic jar when cutting wood this spring. I decided to hunt the area around there and about 15 ft away my detector was going nuts. I first found a cool blue bottle with a metal lid with an inscription ( emerson drug co. Bromo seltzer) thinking that was awesome I continued to dig the area. I soon found some barbed wire that seemed to create a 15x15ft square. Inside this square the detector had more spots that hit than not. I eventually put the detector down and dug the whole square out( again on my own property) finding lots of broken glass and tons of completely disintegrated pieces of metal every where. It didn't take too long to realize this was an old home that was buried in the yard under 4 inches of earth and blueberry roots. I found hinges, locks ,pad locks, the biggest nuts and bolts I've ever seen, shotgun shells (remington arrow 16 and rival 12) belt buckle, a lantern lid, fire place rocks with ashes, and more jars and bottles. Unfortunately no old coins or jewelry. After some research I figure it was around 1912s time frame based on the shells. Can't believe that was there. You would have never known. Just wanted to share my awesome first day. Hope I didn't get spoiled.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Sounds like a great old homesite. Keep digging the junk and you might find some nice old goodies.

Hi i'm new also

Hi All, i have wanted a metal detector for years, bought my son one from Radio shack he was 7 he's now 36, Well this Christmas i bought my self a present. i've been out about 5 times, i live in a mobile home park and have done some digging here, found a flat head big nail, a penny, 1/2 dollar and some u shaped piece of metal and a key, i went to a house by me that was for sale and found a few things, my biggest fine was a brake rotor lol, I was a little scared to did it up because the middle was filled with dirt, so i dug that out and then around it carefully in the back of my mind was is this a natural gas plug, but i just went around carefully then realized it wasn't. I thought my son would make fun of me when i posted on face book but he said cool where did you find the brake rotor lol. Can't wait to go out tomorrow, it's been raining here in Michigan a lot. Well i'm glad i found this group, hope to learn a lot.

Back
Top Bottom