AUSTIN TX new to metal detecting

512Digger

Hi guy new to metal detecting live here in Austin, I keep reading that it’s illegal to use metal detectors in parks here. I’m looking for places to go here in Austin. I just got back from round rock was 35min drive to Old settlers park where I here you can use MDs. Anyways would like to meet someone here to kinda guid3 me in right directions & share pointers.
Today’s find 1quarter 3dimes1nickel2pennies , eraser top , bottle cap , 2 pieces tin , misc trash , pull tab ;)
Thanks
Louie

Last edited:
.... I keep reading that it’s illegal to use metal detectors in parks here.....

Curious: Can you post the links here , to what you read that says that. Or tell us the source you got this info. from .

I was told by members of club and they referred me to website
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/parks-and-recreation
I think some where there says no metal detectors allowed unless you have a permit

Metal detecting permits are only approved for searches for specific items lost during a park visit
or event, where reasonable searches have exhausted all other reasonable means of locating the
lost item.

Well that's no fun... and they don't even want the good stuff:

REPORTING DETAILS
All items founds in the search must be bagged and submitted to the City not later than 2 calendar
days after the search ends, with a log of the items (excluding ring tabs, wire, or trash).

And I thought TX was in America :?:

I have family in Austin, and never even tried detecting in Austin due to the things I have read. Same thing about San Antonio. Seems like Texas gets goofy in these key, historical cities.

I am happy to know that Round Rock is lax. I visit there.

I have family in Austin, and never even tried detecting in Austin due to the things I have read. Same thing about San Antonio. Seems like Texas gets goofy in these key, historical cities.

Yeah I gotta plan trips outside of Austin freakin sucks

Yeah I gotta plan trips outside of Austin freakin sucks

Mind you though...I never went hunting there because of the internet chatter about Austin's views against metal detecting. The metal detecting club in Austin surely knows the difficulties and legalities. It seems like an injustice to tell tax payers that they can't detect public parks and public schools. Tom has a point in asking about specific regulations, in print.

San Antonio isn't the same. You can go detecting in city parks here (just don't go using a shovel to dig with (use a screwdriver or a small trowl of sorts instead)). You just have to get a permit. It's not difficult, it doesn't cost anything, and you can get the 6 month permit for 20 different parks at a time: https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/Reservations-Permits/Metal-Detecting-Permit

Leander Parks and Williamson County Parks have similar wording on their websites. Liberty Hill, Cedar Park, and some other nearby cities have no such wording on their websites. You just have to do a little research. And of course, follow the etiquette rules for filling in holes and such.

Back
Top Bottom