A great debate… your thoughts

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Okay!

Here is the background info on the debate.

I was born in Michigan, but grew up and lived in Texas for 35 years before moving back to Michigan for the last 3 years.

My wife was born and raised in Texas, but has lived in Michigan the last 3 years.

So my wife gets irritated when someone asks me “where are you from?” And I answer them truthfully.

My answer: I was born in Michigan, but lived in Texas for 35+ years.

She says I am from Texas.

This has become a family conversation piece. Especially now that we are moving out of state again (to Virginia). So what do you think? What would be the correct response currently and when we move to Virginia??

The last place that you lived was Texas, so I would tell people who ask that you're from Texas but were born in Michigan.
Now when you move to Virginia, I would say that you're from Michigan but lived in Texas for 35 years.

BTW, Michigan is a good place to be from. There are a lot of times that I wish I weren't here.

The place you identify with or have the fondest memories of.

I was born in California, but don't identify with it and have few memories of it, so I always say Chester County PA, even tho I was not born here.

Yeah, having spent a total of 4 years of my life in Michigan and the other 36 years in Texas, I don't want to give Michigan all the credit... And there are reasons I have for that, but that's beside the point. LOL

The funny thing is a lot of people are saying 'last place you're from', which semantically I believe in fully. But even my wife said she was "from Texas" when we were looking at places in Virginia even though we live in Michigan. lol

Maybe... "Born in Michigan, raised in Texas" or "born in Michigan, made in Texas". lol

Brings to mind one of the Royal Uncles of the Queen...Born in east Texas, married and raised his family in Wisconsin, served in National Guard in Wisconsin, retired back to SE Texas. Lifetime nickname: Tex ! His three girls are yankees, but he always considered himself a Texan. :laughing::laughing:

My wife and I both were born and grew up in Maryland, we moved to South Carolina about 15-16 years ago, and as much as I had tried to sound like I was a local I still occasionally heard "you're not from around here are you ?" :laughing:

On one of my trips to the grocery store not too long after first moving here I got a funny lesson in the local language, I was waiting in the checkout line with my grocery cart and didn't notice the line had moved up and the grocery clerk cashier told me something like: "you wanna move your buggy up here" and initially I wasn't sure what she meant, thought it might had been a polite way of saying you want to move your butt up here :laughing: I learned the southern language lesson that "buggy" is a southern way of saying "shopping cart" :laughing:

If you lived in more than one state before moving to where you are now and are asked where are you from ? I might ask them do mean where did I live before moving here or where was I born ? :lol:

I was born and spent my life in Kansas. When visiting a friend in Michigan they said I had an accent. I don't have an accent, they did.

Man oh man.... make it easy on yourself and stop irritating your wife. ... who cares anyway... Keep the peace, Texans are proud of Texas. Throw a curveball next time. Just say Texas....

My wife and I both were born and grew up in Maryland, we moved to South Carolina about 15-16 years ago, and as much as I had tried to sound like I was a local I still occasionally heard "you're not from around here are you ?" :laughing:

On one of my trips to the grocery store not too long after first moving here I got a funny lesson in the local language, I was waiting in the checkout line with my grocery cart and didn't notice the line had moved up and the grocery clerk cashier told me something like: "you wanna move your buggy up here" and initially I wasn't sure what she meant, thought it might had been a polite way of saying you want to move your butt up here :laughing: I learned the southern language lesson that "buggy" is a southern way of saying "shopping cart" :laughing:

If you lived in more than one state before moving to where you are now and are asked where are you from ? I might ask them do mean where did I live before moving here or where was I born ? :lol:

My 13-year-old mind is imagining you sitting in your shopping cart... :lol:

Josh

I made some people very angry with me. I replied to the question by saying i spent the first 18 years of my life in WV but i managed to escape about 60 or so years ago and so far they have not been able to find me.

In many places you will never be "from" there if you were not born there, even if you have lived there 50 years. In one state I can think of people will not say "he's not from here" they will say you are "from away"...
In my personal opinion if you want to say you are from there because that's where you feel at home that's great, you've found your place.

For me it's simple: I'm from Alexandria, VA. My postal address as been Alexandria since I was born. The first about 1 year, I lived in the bounds of the city of Alexandria, after that, I lived in an area of Fairfax County handled by the Alexandria post office. Ever since the invention of ZIP codes, I've always had the same one.

No ambition, I guess... :)

-- Tom

In many places you will never be "from" there if you were not born there, even if you have lived there 50 years. In one state I can think of people will not say "he's not from here" they will say you are "from away"...
In my personal opinion if you want to say you are from there because that's where you feel at home that's great, you've found your place.

With the exception of three years in Puerto Rico i have been in the Charleston SC area since 1965 and i am still referred to as being from OFF.

I have been in many places

I have been in many places ...

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!

I may have been in Continent, and I don't remember what country I was in. It's an age thing.

I have been in many places ...

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!

I may have been in Continent, and I don't remember what country I was in. It's an age thing.

:laughing:

Where were you when you first thought all that up ?

:hmmm: .... :newidea:.....I know where you did that at !

.....it was in Credible ! :laughing:

I was born in Minnesota, but have lived most of my life here in Jacksonville Florida. Being a "Native Floridian" is a big deal here, for some reason. When people ask me where I am from, I tell them, here (Jacksonville) but that I was born in Mn. You are doing the right thing. The real question is, why does it bother your wife when you give the full story? Is she ashamed of Texas? LOL:)

The question: This has become a family conversation piece. Especially now that we are moving out of state again (to Virginia). So what do you think? What would be the correct response currently and when we move to Virginia??

The answer: This is a very temporary stop for us on the way back to THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS :)

Back
Top Bottom