Coyotes or Foxes ? - recent videos from trail camera

Looks like gray's, red's and coyotes as others have noted. Gray foxes can be very vocal. It reminds me of a beagle with laryngitis. They can be very unwary of humans.

I used to do a lot of predator hunting and it got to the point I would not shoot any any more Gray's. It was just to easy. Besides I like watching them.
I have called many up with them seeming unafraid even after seeing me. I once while in my tree stand accidentally dropped an arrow with brightly colored orange fletching off my bow string and it stuck straight up in the ground. A gray came by and saw it. The crazy thing smelled the fletching then reared back and attacked the arrow leaving little teeth marks on the wood shaft, and messing up my feathers. I shooed him off and the fox just looked at me a minute and went on his way. Another time I had made a mock scrape and one came up smelled it then proceeded to roll in it. Same deal I said hey fox and he looked up at me for a minute and walked off. The most bizarre encounter I ever had with a gray was when I was walking out from checking a game cam. I was walking down a shallow creek and saw this gray fox sitting off the back about 15 yards away. We were about eye to eye since I was down in the creek. I started barking at the fox and it started barking back at me. This went on for several minutes. I finally just started walking on out and the fox just sat there watching me leave.

Also one season I kept seeing a group of three several times. One had been severely injured and had a horrible limp. He would always come through well behind the other two. He appeared fat and healthy other than the bad limp. I don't think he could catch anything on his own. I suspect they were sharing whatever they caught with the injured one. Gray fox can also climb trees, which puts them at an advantage over the red fox in dog or coyote confrontations.

I can't comment much on reds because I have never once called one up. I have also never saw a red while deer hunting. I have spent an awful lot of time sitting in a tree too. I think they are more nocturnal than gray's generally, and prefer more pasture type settings rather than woods and thickets. I have always considered their population to be considerably less than that of gray's at least where I live. I have seen a few reds in the daylight out of a vehicle, but even that's been rare. Mostly if I have seen one it's been crossing he road at night.

Coyotes I never cared for and I have called up and shot a bunch of them over the years. They are the hardest out of all the predators to call up and kill. It's like they come full speed seconds after you start calling or it's like 20 minutes in and being very cautious. It's like a coin flip if your going to kill one even if you call one up. They are very wary using every sense eyes, nose, and hearing. One whiff and they are gone. Coyotes where I live very often have Mange. I killed one this past turkey season. There were two, and both had a very serious case of the Mange. I have seen coyotes chasing or harassing deer many times. I'm not a shoot everything I see on sight, and have let many walk I easily could have shot. I would rather call them up while predator hunting.

Looks like gray's, red's and coyotes as others have noted. Gray foxes can be very vocal. It reminds me of a beagle with laryngitis. They can be very unwary of humans.

I used to do a lot of predator hunting and it got to the point I would not shoot any any more Gray's. It was just to easy. Besides I like watching them.
I have called many up with them seeming unafraid even after seeing me. I once while in my tree stand accidentally dropped an arrow with brightly colored orange fletching off my bow string and it stuck straight up in the ground. A gray came by and saw it. The crazy thing smelled the fletching then reared back and attacked the arrow leaving little teeth marks on the wood shaft, and messing up my feathers. I shooed him off and the fox just looked at me a minute and went on his way. Another time I had made a mock scrape and one came up smelled it then proceeded to roll in it. Same deal I said hey fox and he looked up at me for a minute and walked off. The most bizarre encounter I ever had with a gray was when I was walking out from checking a game cam. I was walking down a shallow creek and saw this gray fox sitting off the back about 15 yards away. We were about eye to eye since I was down in the creek. I started barking at the fox and it started barking back at me. This went on for several minutes. I finally just started walking on out and the fox just sat there watching me leave.

Also one season I kept seeing a group of three several times. One had been severely injured and had a horrible limp. He would always come through well behind the other two. He appeared fat and healthy other than the bad limp. I don't think he could catch anything on his own. I suspect they were sharing whatever they caught with the injured one. Gray fox can also climb trees, which puts them at an advantage over the red fox in dog or coyote confrontations.

I can't comment much on reds because I have never once called one up. I have also never saw a red while deer hunting. I have spent an awful lot of time sitting in a tree too. I think they are more nocturnal than gray's generally, and prefer more pasture type settings rather than woods and thickets. I have always considered their population to be considerably less than that of gray's at least where I live. I have seen a few reds in the daylight out of a vehicle, but even that's been rare. Mostly if I have seen one it's been crossing he road at night.

Coyotes I never cared for and I have called up and shot a bunch of them over the years. They are the hardest out of all the predators to call up and kill. It's like they come full speed seconds after you start calling or it's like 20 minutes in and being very cautious. It's like a coin flip if your going to kill one even if you call one up. They are very wary using every sense eyes, nose, and hearing. One whiff and they are gone. Coyotes where I live very often have Mange. I killed one this past turkey season. There were two, and both had a very serious case of the Mange. I have seen coyotes chasing or harassing deer many times. I'm not a shoot everything I see on sight, and have let many walk I easily could have shot. I would rather call them up while predator hunting.
Just the opposite here. When I was a teen in the late 70’s, I started getting good at pinching red’s toes with the dirt hole set. IIRC, I took ten that fall. Big money for a high schooler, the equivalent of around $250 each today. Then the market crashed. Speed ahead 40 years and early winter I picked up a fresh road kill Grey, in perfect shape for tanning. It was right in town near a shopping center. First Grey I’d ever seen around here. Coyotes, you couldn’t pay me enough to skin one they stink so bad!

Just the opposite here. When I was a teen in the late 70’s, I started getting good at pinching red’s toes with the dirt hole set. IIRC, I took ten that fall. Big money for a high schooler, the equivalent of around $250 each today. Then the market crashed. Speed ahead 40 years and early winter I picked up a fresh road kill Grey, in perfect shape for tanning. It was right in town near a shopping center. First Grey I’d ever seen around here. Coyotes, you couldn’t pay me enough to skin one they stink so bad!

Amc rulz, funny you mention picking up a roadkill gray. KT's trapping buddy and KT were coming back in from running some beaver traps when we saw a Bobcat get hit by the car in front of us. We stopped, examined the hide, must have been hit in the head by a metal bumper on that car! Anyway, no blood, but a little from the mouth. Put it in our truck and headed to the local taxidermist. He looked it over and offered $85, which we took and split. Easiest money KT ever made! :laughing::laughing: At that time beaver pelts were bringing $25 each. We made about $350 for our efforts, but next year they had dropped to $5 each...heck we could not even recoup our gas money so we quit.

Thanks, sounds like some interesting adventures :lol:

I thought it was particularly funny when you said: "I started barking at the fox and it started barking back at me. This went on for several minutes." :laughing: (I might have to try that if the opportunity presents itself :laughing:)

I did get some more video clips after checking the trail camera today, including 3 that seem to be foxes, I'll see about posting them later after I have a chance to convert them from video format to animated gif format and compressing the file size, hopefully by later this evening but if not then likely by tomorrow.

Okay, here are the latest videos that I had hoped to post yesterday but got busy.

Besides the likely foxes, I decided to also post videos of other creatures the trail camera caught just to show some of the other activity :lol:

First the 3 newest videos of likely foxes:
POTqptw.gif

TmgZvde.gif

idxuQnU.gif

Here's one of a rabbit (I occasionally see one running in our yard at night)
NrQPy1N.gif

Here's one of a stray cat that seems to make regular rounds in the area
FXk34aZ.gif

Here's one showing a deer (we usually see deer most every day and/or evening)
SmC0DT8.gif

Here's a funny one of a deer seeming to look right in the camera while eating :lol:
zhUmr8x.gif

Me mowing the trail camera area to keep getting clear views :lol:
Jan61Gu.gif

Here's our dog Xena who walked with me to the trail camera to get these clips
efeHOGN.gif

Awesome! Love the deer munching pic!

Photo 1: Coyote (long legs)
Photo 2: Fox
Photo 3: Coyote again

That’s my guess lol.

Awesome! Love the deer munching pic!

Photo 1: Coyote (long legs)
Photo 2: Fox
Photo 3: Coyote again

That’s my guess lol.

:laughing: it amazes me sometimes that even after I cut the grass, even pretty short, the deer still come thru the yard munching at what's left :lol: instead of going elsewhere where there's longer grass. :lol:

1 and 3 might be coyotes ? interesting, but you could be right, I'll have to look at it some more, maybe I was so used to seeing just foxes so far I was just being too quick to think they were but I did seem to notice a dark tip on the tail in the 3rd one (harder for me to tell in the first one), the dark tip on the tail makes me tend to think grey fox though.

Honestly I have never heard foxes make a lot of noise at all. Even ones that I have caught have been fairly quiet other than growling. Coyotes here usually sound like a mixture of yips and high pitched howls when they get going. A siren from an emergency vehicle will really get them going. There are some videos online of foxes barking and yipping though.

Foxes make quite a bit of noise actually, one noise sounds like a small girl being murdered or something(think they call it the vixen call or something), it is creepy. I had one giving me a warning bark the other night in the yard as well. The Coyotes around me bred with the timber wolf and dogs, so they max out around 75lbs sometimes around here. They also make quite a racket like you describe...

we definatly have Coyotes and possums and racoons , and found a box turtle traveling through the other day , still under my bushes as far as i know.

Wow, even coyotes ? .....and I was under the impression your house was in more of a suburb area rather than in a rural or semi-rural area like we are.

Maybe you should get a trail camera set up in your yard, you might get some entertaining video clips of what all roams thru your yard at night :shock: :lol:

Honestly I have never heard foxes make a lot of noise at all. Even ones that I have caught have been fairly quiet other than growling. Coyotes here usually sound like a mixture of yips and high pitched howls when they get going. A siren from an emergency vehicle will really get them going. There are some videos online of foxes barking and yipping though.

Foxes make quite a bit of noise actually, one noise sounds like a small girl being murdered or something(think they call it the vixen call or something), it is creepy. I had one giving me a warning bark the other night in the yard as well. The Coyotes around me bred with the timber wolf and dogs, so they max out around 75lbs sometimes around here. They also make quite a racket like you describe...

Interesting, If I can manage to record the yipping/barking ect. the next time I hear it maybe I'll see if I can post it on the thread to see if it sounds more like foxes or coyotes to y'all.

Wow, even coyotes ? .....and I was under the impression your house was in more of a suburb area rather than in a rural or semi-rural area like we are.

Maybe you should get a trail camera set up in your yard, you might get some entertaining video clips of what all roams thru your yard at night :shock: :lol:

i have heard that foxes are here as well , we have a creek near the house that run along the side of the subdivision , there is a old farm on the other side still in use.

Last edited:
Coyotes and foxes do very, very well in the suburbs, so do the deer. My little brother is in the city, he and the neighbors constantly call animal control for fox. They also have turkeys, deer and roosters too!

Some great videos! See rabbits like that all the time at dusk on the Castle estate, usually next to the road. Me thinketh they come over for a munch on His Highness's grass! HA HA

Hey, maybe they might help decrease how often you have to mow :laughing:

i have heard that foxes are here as well , we have a creek near the house that run along the side of the subdivision , there is a old farm on the other side still in use.

Wow, maybe you really should get a trail camera :lol: the one I am using now I got from Amazon, it is currently $34.99 and was $36.99 when I bought it, but they happened to have a $14.80 off coupon at the time so it was that much less !

Coyotes and foxes do very, very well in the suburbs, so do the deer. My little brother is in the city, he and the neighbors constantly call animal control for fox. They also have turkeys, deer and roosters too!

In the city too ? :shock:

I joked with my wife in the past after moving here that we didn't have to go to the zoo, that the zoo came to us :laughing:

I agree with this 100%. 1 and 3 are coyotes and 2 is a fox.

Okay, thanks, appreciate your input, remembering your past post about being a predator hunter you are definitely more experienced at this than I am :lol:

I plan on checking the trail camera videos again today, the last batch was pulled of the camera on Monday so there are 4 nights worth to check to see if there are any more real interesting videos. I'll see about posting them by this evening if not sooner.

Checked the trail camera today, wasn't as many video clips as usual, and all of the clips were of deer except for one of a stray cat and this one -

0KNFpah.gif

Amc rulz, funny you mention picking up a roadkill gray. KT's trapping buddy and KT were coming back in from running some beaver traps when we saw a Bobcat get hit by the car in front of us. We stopped, examined the hide, must have been hit in the head by a metal bumper on that car! Anyway, no blood, but a little from the mouth. Put it in our truck and headed to the local taxidermist. He looked it over and offered $85, which we took and split. Easiest money KT ever made! :laughing::laughing: At that time beaver pelts were bringing $25 each. We made about $350 for our efforts, but next year they had dropped to $5 each...heck we could not even recoup our gas money so we quit.

I remember back in the mid 70's I was getting $25 for raccoons so all road kills went in my trunk.

Steve

I fed many deer last winter. I live on the edge of town in the city limits. I had a buck attack my archery buck target three different times. The last time he damaged and I still haven't tried to fix it yet. I put the corn in a concrete bird bath. The coons could not climb over into it. There would be 7-8 deer crowded around it at a time. They were cleaning up 20 pounds a night easy and could have ate 50 pounds a night, but I couldn't afford that. Bucks seldom showed up for some reason. I would leave the outside floodlights on and watch them through the window blinds only like 10 yards away.

Back
Top Bottom