Which to Keep: Equinox 600 or E-Trac?

mh9162013

Elite Member
I'm facing this dilemma right now. I haven't used the E-trac much, but boy, it doesn't have a learning curve, it has a learning vertical. That being said, here's my question:

You have $400 and you can get a used E-trac OR a used Equinox 600. Whichever you buy will be your primary detector and no, you can't buy the E-trac, then flip it to use the proceeds to buy the Equinox 600.

So which do you buy, and why? I have already done some research and the TL;DR is that the E-trac will have a better VDI than the Equinox, but the Equinox will be better in high trash areas and soil that's highly mineralized.

Which one are you better skilled with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of variables enter into the decision making, based simply on the individual. I have detecting friends who are my age or younger but they are in more fit condition and they can handle the weight and poor balance of the E-Trac. I know what it is capable of doing for an avid coin hunter who mainly searches urban locations such as parks and schools and yards.

However, the EQ 600 / 800 are much better when working dense trash and especially iron debris locations. Add to that the fact that they are lighter weight and better balanced, so for people like me that is a plus point.

Obviously I'd go for the Equinox.

The 600 would be a better all around machine for you. I had the explorers and Garretts before the 600/800 units. I use them exclusively and haven't looked back. I have sold the others since I got the equinoxes. Get a carbon shaft and the small coil, you will be grateful you did moving forward.

Pumptech: said:
Get a carbon shaft and the small coil, you will be grateful you did moving forward.
I had an EQ-800 and didn't have any issues with the lower or middle shift.

I got it with the 6" DD coil and I am likely to trade / sell a couple of my units just to get another 800 w/6" coil ....unless The Legend gets in my hands and I can match or better the performance. In your case, you only need to get the 6" coil then put the Equinox and small coil to work finding keepers!

Monte

Funny you should ask. I just went through this entire dilemma. Had 2 600's. Used to have an E-Trac. Missed it the day I sold it. Now I have one 600 and an E-Trac. I think I have the best of both worlds. A field machine and a yard machine.

Which one are you better skilled with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now? Definitely the Equinox 600, as I've had it for a few months and before that, I used the Garrett AT Max and Vanquish 540.

When I swing the E-Trac, I feel like I did when I first used a metal detector about 7 years ago: almost clueless.

As much as my question is about a monetary investment, it's as much about a time investment. Right now, I'm leaning towards putting in the time to at least give the E-Trac a fair shake. But since I hunt mostly trashy yards and parks, my hunch is that it'll be a waste of time.

Funny you should ask. I just went through this entire dilemma. Had 2 600's. Used to have an E-Trac. Missed it the day I sold it. Now I have one 600 and an E-Trac. I think I have the best of both worlds. A field machine and a yard machine.

I got my E-Trac with a bunch of accessories I don't care to have (you know, like an extra lower shaft and Detech coils :p). If I'm able to sell them for enough money, then maybe I can keep my E-Trac and my Equinox 600...maybe.

Or maybe I sell the Equinox 600 now, then buy the 800 in about a year when the "Great Equinox Sell Off" hits full swing with the general acceptance of the Legend and Deus II and Equinoxes are being sold like Garrett AT Pros and Maxes :laughing:. Although by that point, perhaps Minelab will have announced the Equinox 1000 or something...

Back
Top Bottom