Traveling with your MD

eTXOne

Hello friends,
I am planning a trip to another State for my 20 years anniversary trip. Taking the wifey to San Francisco later this month. I was curious if anyone has any experience with traveling with you MD in general. Good or bad experiences, I would like to know if it’s even possible. Ill be flying, using United Airlines and of course theres TSA and last but not least the State of California, all seem like obstacles to deal with. When i checked the TSA website it had a big question mark next to metal detectors and said to check with the Airline. I still haven’t found a definitive answer.

I don't understand why a metal detector even needs to have to ask "Can I ?" about. Why would it be any different than any other piece of equipment that someone has in their stowaway luggage ? Eg.: A laptop computer, a musical instrument, medical devices, etc.... Since when are metal detectors so dangerous that, apparently so many md'rs have shown up asking "Can I ?", that it now has its own spot on the FAQ ?

When I traveled to Virginia a few years ago, I just pulled out the battery, folded it down, put it in my suitcase, and simply sent it through the luggage carousel. I guess I didn't ask enough questions ?

As far as San Francisco goes : Good luck ! There's still parks, etc... that put out silver , if you know where to go :)

C24DB8BD-7DA0-4F3D-8103-4F3A4E616962.jpg

TSA now has a way to message using Facebook. Here’s their response. I dont think im going to risk my new equinox being confiscated because I couldn’t remove the batteries or they are threatened by my 11 inch coil. Ugh.

TSA now has a way to message using Facebook. Here’s their response. I dont think im going to risk my new equinox being confiscated because I couldn’t remove the batteries or they are threatened by my 11 inch coil. Ugh.

I carry my pod and coils in my carry on bag. NEVER, checked bag!

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I recently traveled to visit family in Florida and brought my Simplex with me. I have seen posts where people were asked to put the telescopic rods in their checked luggage because they can be considered a weapon onboard (ridiculous). I travel light with just a carry-on, so my solution was to just bring the handle/control box and the coil, then buy a spare set of rods to keep at family's house in Florida where I can reassemble the unit (cost less than checking a bag both ways!).

On the way down TSA did ask me to remove the detector and place it in a bin to be screened separately from my bag, similar to how a laptop would be, so I guess it's considered a "large electronic". On the way back up I just did that right away and there were no questions asked.

I throw my nox in a pelican case when I travel back to FL (I usually have a gun in there too). The only thing I have done is made sure to print out information that the battery size is smaller than their limitations for flight.

I have a Nokta Impact with the soft side carry case. I remove the batteries and take it through security. It does raise some curiosity with newer TSA agents and it usually gets the explosive swab treatment. I have never had an issue and this machine has been to Florida, Cali, Nevada, Texas.

On both trips to England, i had two metal detectors, pinpointer, and batteries stuffed within all the clothing in my suitcase. Zero problems. Take it if you want to go or perhaps rent one when you arrive.

I flew to the beach last month. I use a large Samsonite hard shell suitcase and I just broke the Equinox down and packed and checked it. I used my clothes for padding and had no problems. I really don't see a way for it to be damaged this way. Of course it could get lost which would be a real bummer. Being a frequent flyer I take a pic so if they lose my suitcase I can file a claim.

I flew to the beach last month. I use a large Samsonite hard shell suitcase and I just broke the Equinox down and packed and checked it. I used my clothes for padding and had no problems. I really don't see a way for it to be damaged this way. Of course it could get lost which would be a real bummer. Being a frequent flyer I take a pic so if they lose my suitcase I can file a claim.

It's not just the fact the airline can lose it. It is also the fact all your your bags are subject to TSA search. TSA has the ability to unravel the best packing job now making everything you put in there subject to damage.

Do yourself a favor and keep electronics in a carry-on in your control.

I agree with the carry-on only folks. I've done this several times for trips here and there.

Also, there's a lot of hard side Pelican and Hardigg cases for sale on the surplus market. I've seen them both online from your favorite surplus depots and on the book of people's marketplace listings.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom