Just thinking out loud about VDI resolution

That's your opinion, I see the opposite. The equinox in my hunting does not hit as hard,or as deep consistently as a etrac. Apples and oranges comparison. Etrac is a dedicated coin machine, equinox and deus are middle of the road machines when it comes to comparison to the etrac

My apologies for being too direct. I just posted a video a couple of posts before this one. Maybe it will help explain where I am coming from concerning accurate target IDs and how most detectors fail miserably at it where I detect no matter how many target ID segments they have or whether they are BBS, FBS, have a Signagraph or are single frequency, who made them or how much they cost.

And just what has that new technology led to? faster recovery for better unmasking is all I have yet to see. Where is the improvement in depth? I'd like to see one of these new SMFs with a more accurate target ID? Most of the videos on Youtube don't even show the VDI when comparing.

Accuracy is about being able to accurately tell junk from good in my view. Nothing does that as deep as the E-Trac from my experience. How can you be more accurate with fewer VDIs? Yes, a nickel may read a solid 26, but with few VDIs, so will a pull tab, a piece of can slaw. That isn't accuracy, that is nothing but a stable VDI. Still could be anything.

Heck, if you had only 5 VDIs you could call it accurate because it would read a 3 every time no matter the depth LOL.

Watch the video I posted please.

I agree that I would like a wider low to mid conductor target ID scale on the Equinox in the future so that our US nickel won't share the same ID as some pull tabs. However, that is Minelab's call not mine and they have to consider all of the other coinage in the world too and whose coin might be sharing what VDI with a trash target which will upset someone for sure.

My apologies for being too direct. I just posted a video a couple of posts before this one. Maybe it will help explain where I am coming from concerning accurate target IDs and how most detectors fail miserably at it where I detect no matter how many target ID segments they have or whether they are BBS, FBS, have a Signagraph or are single frequency, who made them or how much they cost.

I did jmaclen, and I even took my E-Trac out front to do the same test. Yes, I was very surprised my E-Trac couldn't solidly identify the nickel. I did try a dime and it was dead on every time, but the nickel just wasn't a good VDI at just 3".

That said, I will say the FE number did indicate a possible coin and not junk. So without the FE I probably would have passed it by. Very interesting.

My apologies for being too direct. I just posted a video a couple of posts before this one. Maybe it will help explain where I am coming from concerning accurate target IDs and how most detectors fail miserably at it where I detect no matter how many target ID segments they have or whether they are BBS, FBS or single frequency, who made them or how much they cost.

No problem,we just see things differently from a geographic soil difference maybe. I’ll be the first to say I know not all machines are good in all soils, and not all machines are good in certain areas because of emi..I know the Deus and equinox are faster than the etrac, and will unmask better than the Etrac. I know that and would never debate that as a fact..But I also know information is the key to hunting some parks and yards,and also saving time. And the Etrac gives the most reliable information over the Deus or the equinox as to what’s in the ground. I’m just stating my findings and what I’ve read over the years from others..Just my opinion but FBS is the only machine I found that the depth meter actually works consistently,it’s always been spot on.. I can’t say that about any other machine I’ve used..
The Deus and Minelabs equinox are really top notch machines and have a lot going for them.And I’ll give them all the credit in the world for what they excel at,speed,unmasking and ergonomics... But we can’t take away the information that the FBS machines give just because we want the Deus 2 or equinox to be superior in everything.. Gotta give a performer its due where it excels..

Here is link.
On Minelab’s site.
Portion, It is blurred for some reason. Down where fbs is compared to multi iq.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-1

Notice what it says. About higher conductive coins.
Think last part says — in all conditions as far as higher conductive coins.

The engineer Mr Lawrie commented somewhere on Dankowski site about this best I remember around 4 years ago. I can’t remember his forum name exactly so I could search.

Pretty sure I am correct.

No problem,we just see things differently from a geographic soil difference maybe. I’ll be the first to say I know not all machines are good in all soils, and not all machines are good in certain areas because of emi..I know the Deus and equinox are faster than the etrac, and will unmask better than the Etrac. I know that and would never debate that as a fact..But I also know information is the key to hunting some parks and yards,and also saving time. And the Etrac gives the most reliable information over the Deus or the equinox as to what’s in the ground. I’m just stating my findings and what I’ve read over the years from others..Just my opinion but FBS is the Not depth meter I found that actually works consistently,it’s always been spot on.. I can’t say that about any other machine I’ve used..
The Deus and Minelabs equinox are really top notch machines and have a lot going for them.And I’ll give them all the credit in the world for what they excel at,speed,unmasking and ergonomics... But we can’t take away the information that the FBS machines give just because we want the Deus 2 or equinox to be superior in everything.. Gotta give a performer its due where it excels..

Well said woodbutcher. Same thing here, just reporting what I see. What I see is while the MIQ & SMF have promising futures, the FBS is just a tough nut to crack on the very deep coins when it comes to reliable identification. My weapon of choice to cherry-pick trashy parks of the very deep coin is still the E-Trac.

Well said woodbutcher. Same thing here, just reporting what I see. What I see is while the MIQ & SMF have promising futures, the FBS is just a tough nut to crack on the very deep coins when it comes to reliable identification. My weapon of choice to cherry-pick trashy parks of the very deep coin is still the E-Trac.

You aren't the only one who feels that way, many others have the same opinion of FBS machines, including me. But not everyone hunts like us.

Back
Top Bottom