• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tolerance Stack & The Hot Detector

atomicbrh

Elite Member
A question:
In today's world of computerized, automated manufacturing, is tolerance stack a factor in the metal detecting industry? Say, you take a sample of 100 detectors out of a production run of exactly the same model detector, is there one of those 100 that has better soldering, a more accurately manufactured control board, higher quality microchips, better coil windings, better junction of the coil wire to the coil, a better lithium-ion battery that maintains a steadier current over a longer period of time, etc. resulting in a better, deeper, more accurate detector compared to the other 99?
I can say for certain in other industries where mechanical parts are involved, tolerance stack is a huge factor. Some products where tolerance stack is minimal and all the component parts are exactly the correct size or on the tight side per the blueprints function perfectly. While some products where every component is on the far upper ranges of the maximum or minimum dimensions are not going to function at all or function sporadically.
I worked for three different brick and mortar gun stores before I really retired. One of those stores built many rifles from scratch and we also repaired many firearms. The tolerance stack is crazy in the firearms industry. To the point where some new quite expensive firearms will not function.
Do you feel metal detecting manufacturing is the same?

Interesting.
I worked for 20 years in computer manufacturing - so maybe more applicable. But we did not experience what you call tolerance stack. On the contrary, it was most efficient to test 2-3 units per 100. If any issues were found, it always had to do with a component batch. Once the batch was identified, all items with parts from that batch were repaired/replaced. The overall quality/longevity of electronic components is really quite high.
So I think there is a big difference manufacturing with mechanical components vs electronic components.

Back
Top Bottom