Whites Eclipse 4x6 coil

Florida Tabdigger

Elite Member
I have two of these coils that both have recently started overloading when the sens. is turned up. I have two M6s and they do it on both machines. The 9.5 coils work great. Does anyone have any information about their internals ie. is there any electronics in the coil itself or is it just the Trans/Rec coils? Want to get some info before I start disecting. Purchasing a new one is out of the question since Whites has closed it's doors.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Here's the situation, I have two M6 setups with both the 9.5 stock coil and a Eclipse 4x6 dd coil. One has been sitting in the the closet for over 10 years and the other I have used the piss out of. Last year, after a long break from hunting, I took my M6 out and it immediately went into overload. I could not raise the gain into the plus zone. I always used it to the max without issues. So I took the other 4x6 coil that may have an hour at the most of usage and hooked it up...the same issue...overload. So I took out the other M6 that also barely had an hour usage and tried both 4x6 coils on it...same thing....overload!!!
The 9.5 coils still work great on both M6's. What's the gist???
Is there a shelf live on the 4x6 coils??? After 10 years they go bad???
Worst part of it all...Whites is out of business and Garrett has no interest in keeping coils available.

Just a guess but I think the bulk head connector must be shorting when torqued down. My 4x6 Eclipse coils, on the V3i, and on the M6, has been my sturdiest coils. I do have a 10x12 Detech coil which shorts on the V3i, but all my other coils are fine, besides the factory 11" DD coil. That coil is sour in the epoxy bond. Just a little heat and it fails an overload test. The bulk head connector is a common denominator.

Yet, the fact that you are getting overloads on the M6 is odd. Has your 4x6 whites coils been stored in calm temperatures? The Whites coils don't like heat.

They have been kept in the house with climate control since day 1. Especially the one that has been rarely used. The 4x6 was the main coil I used for years except for when I hunted the beach. It worked great and was not disconnected until after it started overloading and I tried the other 4x6.

I also ruled out EMI by trying it at other locations. No cracks in the housing, no connection issues, no coil covers, just goes into overload when I go high on sensitivity. I run it wide open for years...everytime I hunted. The 9.5 works fine on both machines. Boggles the mind. Did the coil mess up both machines? Is there a shelf life on the coils? did a lightening strike that hit the house a year a-so ago mess them up? If I could buy another coil(s) I would.

I don't know what to say.

The 9.5 concentric coil is what you want in salt water conditions though. The DD coils struggle in wet sand.

The 9.5 is definitely the beach coil. But weeding through iron was where the 4x6 really shined. I guess I'll have to use the 9.5 here on out...unless I can find another 4x6 on Ebay or something. Been itching for another unit...but my M6 is my baby.

Tell you what,,,the Detech 8x6 coil is actually better than the 4x6 Whites coil, especially since you can't get new Whites coils now. The Detech 8x6 is a must have coil on Whites, IMHSO.

I decided to try the 4x6 coil again today and it worked fine. I was able to max it out without overload. My only guess is after using the M6 many times recently something in the circuitry straightened itself out. Going to use it a little later and see if it continues to work. If so, I will have to get my other M6 out and use it for a while and see if the other 4x6 coil will start working on it as well.

I found the answers I was looking for. The Whites DD coils have a tendency to go out of null due to the coils moving in the epoxy. So apparently there is a shelf-life on them whether they are used or not. The one that started working again only worked for a short while and went into overload again. Just have to replace with a brand-X. The concentric ones didn't have this issue.

Back
Top Bottom