• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Apex ?

too_pointer

Elite Member
I might of missed it in here, but haven't seen any talk about The Garrett Apex ? I thought that was " all the rage " when it came out ?
too_

too_pointer: said:
I might of missed it in here, but haven't seen any talk about The Garrett Apex ? I thought that was " all the rage " when it came out ?
The Garrett Apex isn't all the rage because too many posters seem to want to pay higher dollar for more features. Also, there were quite a few with other-brand and/or high'dollar bias that they were quick to fault the Apex but not really have any serious time on one.

Me? I got an initial release unit. Bought two more, and they worked fine. Two I sold to detecting buddy friends and they have been doing well with them.

There is no perfect detector and I used mine to demo performance to several people using their test scenario set-up. The Apex does well, especially for the modest cost, and I really like the Iron Audio Volume control and selectable Single Frequency option as well as SMF that I sometimes use.

Monte

Every new detector launched get a lot of attention. Most users were disappointed with the performance for the cost and it not being submersible. It was in competition with the lower priced Vanquishes and now the Legend's price has dropped. It offers a lot more and is submersible. Garret should lower the price on it and their other detectors as they're overpriced imo but they never seem to.

I love mine i use it primarily in the ocean with the reaper coil, that combo works better for me than any other detector i've tried ,i've parked my cz and pi,in California we generally don't hunt submerged much although i have been smashed by waves and submerged plenty of times

I have two friends who, each, have two to four detectors, but the Apex is their primary-use unit. They both Coin Hunt just a little, with one favoring Relic Hunting ghost towns, etc., and the other concentrates on freshwater Beach Hunting. The Relic Hunter also works beaches on occasion, too. Most is covering the wet-pack and dry sand and gravel areas, but they do get into up to a foot of water but no waves.

I think Garrett introduced the Apex at a very fair, reasonable price, especially since it offers SMF geared for both land hunting as well as saltwater environments, selectable Single-Frequencies of 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz and 20 kHz, Automated Ground Balance, Iron Audio Volume, Li-Po battery, and in a terrific light-weight, well balanced package.

I like the top-end Vanquish 540 and own a couple of them. They have their strengths, but also weaknesses and do not offer some of what the Apex does. Let's not forget that the Apex is also affordably priced to include Garrett's really nice MS-3 Wireless Z-Lynked Headphones.

I am one of the majority of detector users who doesn't want or need a waterproof detector. And if I did, I would acquire one, but rely most of the time with a 'standard' land-based detector.

No doubt Garrett will offer a higher-end SMF that will be waterproof in time, but for now I feel the Apex offers a lot in a fair-market range.

Monte

Last edited:
Apex

A bought the apex when it first came out , i use it on wet sand and the towal line on ca beachs , it has been with me in the mountains and deserts , it can be a niosy machine and the vdi numbers can jump all over the screen but i have learned to find good targets you need to listen to the sound ! A nice tight sound is worth digging and the numbers will be close together. i have alot of interesting finds with this machine

Apex

A bought the apex when it first came out , i use it on wet sand and the towal line on ca beachs , it has been with me in the mountains and deserts , it can be a niosy machine and the vdi numbers can jump all over the screen but i have learned to find good targets you need to listen to the sound ! A nice tight sound is worth digging and the numbers will be close together.

I like mine. Have had it almost a year now, and I am still getting used to it. Since it's my first detector, I don't have anything to compare it against, but it has been working well for me. Wish I could find more silver, but that is less about the detector and more about where I am detecting. Haven't found the right silver spot yet, or most of the spots I have hit are already picked over.

I like mine. Have had it almost a year now, and I am still getting used to it. Since it's my first detector, I don't have anything to compare it against, but it has been working well for me. Wish I could find more silver, but that is less about the detector and more about where I am detecting. Haven't found the right silver spot yet, or most of the spots I have hit are already picked over.

I have the same issue, ( finding good silver ground ) ! You will, like me, hit some place good, and HAVE FUN !!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have the same issue, ( finding good silver ground ) ! You will, like me, hit some place good, and HAVE FUN !!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I hope you are right!! To date, I have found one silver at a state park here in Pennsylvania. Just need to find the right ground ... someday! What type of ground did you find with silvers still available to be found?

Interesting thread topic & comments. Although I haven't personally operated an Apex, much of what I've heard of it - from statistics to user reviews - has been positive. However, I, too, have sensed a lack of attention toward the Apex. I think it would be nice to see this machine receive a bit more of the notice it seems to merit - oh, not meaningless hype, but genuine information, general detector talk. On previous threads, I've appreciated reading posts from Monte, Lama, & others who've voiced their thoughts. Speaking for myself, I really enjoy operating my older Ace model, so I hope that users of the newest model experience the same satisfaction. :grin:

Princess: said:
Interesting thread topic & comments. Although I haven't personally operated an Apex, much of what I've heard of it - from statistics to user reviews - has been positive. However, I, too, have sensed a lack of attention toward the Apex. I think it would be nice to see this machine receive a bit more of the notice it seems to merit - oh, not meaningless hype, but genuine information, general detector talk. On previous threads, I've appreciated reading posts from Monte, Lama, & others who've voiced their thoughts. Speaking for myself, I really enjoy operating my older Ace model, so I hope that users of the newest model experience the same satisfaction. :grin:
it is good to hear you have enjoyed success with whichever Ace series model you have. i have had a few, usually to use them a little and get them to some of my less-active in detecting kids several years ago.

I just wanted to point out one Garrett error I believe they made and it was a give-or-take at Garrett whether to lump the Apex in with the ace series or not. Someone with enough clout decided to, but many I have spoken with agree it isn't, including their own design engineer who stated it isn't an Ace. The Apex is a stand-alone model with its own engineered design and is quite different from either the Ace or AT series.

I have a friend who uses a Garrett Ace and a different brand model and he borrowed an Apex for a day's hunt. Made the best coin find he made all year, and really likes what the Apex has to offer. Matter-of-fact I know several people who borrowed an Apex to try it out and found that it was much better than what they had read from quite a few 'known' forum posters.

High-end model? No, but excellent performance at a mid-price that lacks a few adjustment functions. Garrett engineering will surely bring out a higher-cost model, but for what it is, the apex is very impressive.

Monte

I’ve owned three. Just speaking from experience, the Apex multi flex technology makes it a good choice for mild iron mineralization on turf and for saltwater beach hunting. For moderately to very heavy iron mineralization the Apex is a poor choice.

I really like its display, form factor and most of its features. I do not like it’s restricted 5 tone audio choice.

jmaclen: said:
I’ve owned three. Just speaking from experience, the Apex multi flex technology makes it a good choice for mild iron mineralization on turf and for saltwater beach hunting. For moderately to very heavy iron mineralization the Apex is a poor choice.

I really like its display, form factor and most of its features. I do not like it’s restricted 5 tone audio choice.
We are mostly in agreement. In mild to moderate mineralization the Apex works really well, but in higher iron content mineralized ground the Apex might not be the best, but I found it to compete well considering the price point it falls in.

For most average urban Coin Hunters, the up-to 5 audio tones works okay. Most use more Disctiminayikn limiting it maybe the upper three tones.

Personally, I prefer to hunt with Zero Disc., or as low as I can, and favor either a 2-Tone audio or 3-Tone audio so I do wish that was selectable.

Monte

I hope you are right!! To date, I have found one silver at a state park here in Pennsylvania. Just need to find the right ground ... someday! What type of ground did you find with silvers still available to be found?

I didn't even find a silver last season, but still had a good time ! I mainly hunt the woods where the Guards train, and like hunting around big, ole trees, and stumps. Good place to find something that is older.:lol:
too_

Metalsguy: said:

Too_Pointer: said:
I have the same issue, (finding good silver ground) ! You will, like me, hit some place good, and HAVE FUN !!!!
You are both correct, it isn't the detector but the sites selected. And yes, Metalsguy, most of the easy-to-find and best places got picked over. If the Apex is you first detector, then you were very late to the starting gate.

I got my start in March of '65, and really started to clean silver and other old coins out of the common Coin Hunting places in '68 such as city and county parks, parking strips, around parking meters, fair grounds, old picnic groves, and many, many other locations on to '83 when I switched over to hitting ghost towns, homesteads, depots, pioneer and military campgrounds and other out-of-the-way Relic hunting sites.

Due to age, bad health and mobility issues I am now back to mainly Coin Hunting, so I will be competing with the 'locals' on tracking down any old-use areas, renovation work, etc., that are more likely to produce silver coins. I wish you both, and everyone else, the best of success in 2023.

Monte

I didn't even find a silver last season, but still had a good time ! I mainly hunt the woods where the Guards train, and like hunting around big, ole trees, and stumps. Good place to find something that is older.:lol:
too_

Thanks for the thoughts and knowing that I'm not the only silver-deprived detectorist here! No matter where I have hunted so far, I'm quite certain someone has been there before me ... except, of course, my trashy backyard! :D

You are both correct, it isn't the detector but the sites selected. And yes, Metalsguy, most of the easy-to-find and best places got picked over. If the Apex is you first detector, then you were very late to the starting gate.

I got my start in March of '65, and really started to clean silver and other old coins out of the common Coin Hunting places in '68 such as city and county parks, parking strips, around parking meters, fair grounds, old picnic groves, and many, many other locations on to '83 when I switched over to hitting ghost towns, homesteads, depots, pioneer and military campgrounds and other out-of-the-way Relic hunting sites.

Due to age, bad health and mobility issues I am now back to mainly Coin Hunting, so I will be competing with the 'locals' on tracking down any old-use areas, renovation work, etc., that are more likely to produce silver coins. I wish you both, and everyone else, the best of success in 2023.

Monte

Thanks Monte! I am a newbie even though I'm not young. But in '65 when you started, I was just 5-years-old! Maybe someday I'll find a place that others have ignored!??

Back
Top Bottom