The very popular Fisher F75 series. --- Most desired settings?

Monte

"In Memory of"
I am curious which Process; Disc. level; Tone ID option; and other settings people favor for their types of hunting? Also, which two search coil sizes and types are most preferred?

Monte

Last edited:
Great info from Dankowski. If I remember right he recommended disc at 9. Maybe for gold? I found I got best depth/performance with disc set at 18 or 19. It's been awhile so take all of this with a grain of salt. I do know you really don't need to, and shouldn't, push the sensitivity to get good performance.

Some of the reasons for my initial post is because with over fifty-seven years of detecting, I have never been one to want a lot of adjustment functions. Especially many of which are not well defined and allow for too-broad of an adjustment range, the type that can mess up performance.

I enjoy my F75+, but for the different applications I have, I haven't found a need for most o the 'processes' other than 'bP' for wide-open / low-target sites, and mainly rely on the 'DE' process. Not much interest in the others so far.

As for Tone ID, for most modern trash Coin Hunting places I usually use '3' Tone, but for some locations I do opt for '3H' Tones. When hunting any site that has a lot of Iron Nails and other ferrous debris, then I prefer '2H' or '2L' to take advantage of the medium or low-tone Iron Audio. I have no interest in any other the other Tone ID options.

When it come to Discrimination, I only occasionally run mine at '0'. I like to hear some Iron so I never increase it to the '15' break-point and typically start out with my Disc. set at '7' and make slight adjustments if I feel like it.

I never use any Notch Disc. Also, I almost never use the standard 11" BiAxial coil because, to me, it is ugly and just doesn't seem to 'fit' and handle like the smaller-size and mid-size coils I like. Currently I keep the 3½X6½ Concentric mounted and have a mid-size 5X8 DD MGC coil on a spare lower rod for quick changes afield. Both these search coils easily handle at least 95% of my needs, and I do have a brand new 5" DD in the accessory tote with the headphones and pinpointer should I feel the need.

I'll read with interest when others mention why they like different processes and settings. Also, as with almost every other detector I own now or have through the years, I almost always start-up at or near maximum Sensitivity, reducing it, if needed, for EMI.

Monte

I don't recall my favorite settings (haven't used the F75 much lately) however my favorite coil is the 10x5 DD coil.

JimR_TN: said:
I don't recall my favorite settings (haven't used the F75 much lately) however my favorite coil is the 10x5 DD coil.
I like mid-size coils a lot better than a 'standard' coil, and I bought the FTP 5X10. However I didn't like the weight and balance due to the rod-mount point. I then tried and preferred the open-frame 5X9.5 NEL Sharpshooter. I bought three smaller coils when I bought my F75+ but also acquired an MGC 5X8 DD that is a little heavy but balances great and is very consistent / accurate.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom