Detecting higher above the ground

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I have a spot I detect frequently. It's an old house site not far from my house. The history goes from 1860's to about 1930. Earlier this year I was using my equinox there after a snow storm. I was detecting about 6-8" above the ground due to snow depth. I ended up finding 2 civil war era general service buttons. After the snow melted and I had my D2 I went there a bunch of times and pulled out more general service buttons and small mid conductors. Fast forward to this week and 6-8" of snow on the ground. I was running the D2 on top of the snow and ended up finding a few more mid conductors.

This location is so full of iron that it inundates the ears with sound when swinging there but you barely hear that noise when the coil is 6-8" above the ground. The interesting part is those good targets you do hear come through loud and clear without the background iron noise.

This has me thinking that picking the coil off the ground higher than normal can help in some instances with finding good targets in heavy iron.

Raising the coil off the ground higher>NEVER gets more depth, nor separation IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom