I Sold The Best Large Cent I Ever Found

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I found this 1808 Large Cent back in 2012 and after 10 years of holding it, I decided I'd try to sell it. I took it to the September meeting of our coin club and put it in their auction. When the bidding was over with, I got $175.00 for it. Not too shabby for something dug. The money will be spent at the next coin show for other coins to add to my collection.

Attachments

• IMGP0059 (2).jpg
    IMGP0059 (2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 372
  • IMGP0058.jpg
    IMGP0058.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 369
That is a great coin, glad you were able to enjoy the find for 10 years, and then convert the cash from the coin into more goodies for you!

Cool find and a bucket lister for me. Definitely not something you see very often and a first year design with 4000 estimated survival coins in all grades

That’s an astonishing find to begin with, and in that condition from the ground?…not a chance of another anytime soon. To me that’s good money for that, even though someone somewhere might’ve paid more. “Someone somewhere” is the key…and as eBay would take close to 13% you did great IMO. I have about 10 coins I probably don’t ever sell, the rest of them….meh. I’d rather have the money to put toward a new machine!:yes: Yours is an extremely nice coin your fellow club member will enjoy a lot I’m sure.

Cool find and a bucket lister for me. Definitely not something you see very often and a first year design with 4000 estimated survival coins in all grades
Thanks Claddy.....it's the only Classic Head Large Cent I've ever found and it was in very good condition for a dug copper.

That’s an astonishing find to begin with, and in that condition from the ground?…not a chance of another anytime soon. To me that’s good money for that, even though someone somewhere might’ve paid more. “Someone somewhere” is the key…and as eBay would take close to 13% you did great IMO. I have about 10 coins I probably don’t ever sell, the rest of them….meh. I’d rather have the money to put toward a new machine!:yes: Yours is an extremely nice coin your fellow club member will enjoy a lot I’m sure.

Thanks.....I doubt that I'll ever find another Classic Head LC, let alone one in as good a condition as this one was. Most large cents I've found are in "toasted" condition. I don't ever bother with Ebay. At the club's auction the money is paid right up front before the next item is put up for bid. No muss, no fuss.

Glad to see it worked out for you D4C. And I understand your reason for the reinvestment purpose. Me I couldn't part with such a beautiful piece of old history. The chance of ever finding another, and in that condition, not likely. But to each his own. I always like seeing pics of your purchases. I'm not sure if we have of those sales around here. Good luck. Mark

Glad to see it worked out for you D4C. And I understand your reason for the reinvestment purpose. Me I couldn't part with such a beautiful piece of old history. The chance of ever finding another, and in that condition, not likely. But to each his own. I always like seeing pics of your purchases. I'm not sure if we have of those sales around here. Good luck. Mark
Thanks Mark.....I understand your feelings about not wanting to part with something you've dug. I doubt that I'll find anything that compares in age and condition of the coin I sold, but after keeping it for 10 years I decided to part with it. Even then, I was still wondering if I should keep it, but I'm also sure that I'll enjoy whatever it is that I buy with the money I got for the Large Cent and I'll certainly be posting whatever it is when the time comes.

E-Bay

Sweet! But to sell on E bay you need to provide them with you Soc Sec #! I'm not going there.:no::mad:

I recently sold my NOX 800 on eBay and didn't know about eBay haveing to send me a 1099K at the end of the year. I will never sell anything on eBay again. Biden's idea the 1099?
HH everyone

I recently sold my NOX 800 on eBay and didn't know about eBay haveing to send me a 1099K at the end of the year. I will never sell anything on eBay again. Biden's idea the 1099?
HH everyone
I don't know what this has to do with my original post, but I can tell you that 1099's have been around for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom