Greetings from SW PA!

LimpidLizard

Hi all.

I'm located about 15 miles east of Pittsburgh, PA. Been wanting to detect for many years and have finally pulled the trigger. Brand new MineLab Vanquish 540 and an XP MI-14 pin pointer. Still fine tuning my skills in the backyard (lots of tinfoily things, a 2004 Qtr, a 1994 penny, and enough roofing shingle nails to build another house).

History buff that absolutely loves looking at everyone's finds! I hope that I am half as good (lucky?).

Looking forward to detecting out into the real world, and also loving all of the tribal knowledge on FMDF!

Take Care,
John

Welcome neighbor! I live a bit north of the 'burgh. I, too, am a newbie. Still looking for my first silver. I have detected much of my one-acre yard, at this point, and two permissions as well as a playground. Basic stuff but still nothing shiny. I did find a few post-war toys and relics in my backyard that go along with my post-war home. Good luck out there!!

Welcome LL from the the South Hills, Brentwood to be exact. Good choice on the Vanquish, it should serve you well. I have been at for 7 years and still feel there is alot I need to learn. Some may say different but dig all 2 way repeatable signals and learn what the machine is trying to tell you. Where you at ? Monroeville ? Not sure if it is still there but there was a detecting club in Monroeville. Good luck. Mark

Welcome LL from the the South Hills, Brentwood to be exact. Good choice on the Vanquish, it should serve you well. I have been at for 7 years and still feel there is alot I need to learn. Some may say different but dig all 2 way repeatable signals and learn what the machine is trying to tell you. Where you at ? Monroeville ? Not sure if it is still there but there was a detecting club in Monroeville. Good luck. Mark

Hey Mark, I'm in White Oak. Thanks for asking.

When you say "2 way repeatable signals", do you mean hitting the same TIN number coming at the target from different directions? Sorry, I've got a long ways to go before getting the talk down.

John

Welcome from CT! Best of luck with your new detector and PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mark, I'm in White Oak. Thanks for asking.

When you say "2 way repeatable signals", do you mean hitting the same TIN number coming at the target from different directions? Sorry, I've got a long ways to go before getting the talk down.

John

John good evening. Sweep a piece of ground with you detector, make sure it clean, (no trash or iron ) then put a coin or two down, swing across and you will hear beep beep, thats a repeatable. And if you turn 90 degrees swing again and get that same sound and mostly the same #s most likely a good target. A little tip, a good target does not move. If when you turn 90 and you have to search around for that same tone, likely junk. Me I'm a sucker for a high tone. If I get a high tone thats sounds good, even in just one direction I'm digging. But thats me. Have often thought about hitting Renzie but I've done well just staying local. Not even sure if that area is reasonably safe any more. Used to haul steel out of the Christie Park and beer out of Detroit for Chester C. who was also right there on the main drag heading up to 48.
If you have questions, happy to help if I can. Good luck. Mark

Welcome John! I’m based in eastern MA, but my in-laws are in Lancaster County, so I try to get out there and dig up old farm machinery or find property boundary markers at least once a year.

Back
Top Bottom