Describe a coin signal.

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
I'm hunting a vacant lot where there are endless trash generated high-tones. I only want to dig coin signals. Can you kind folks describe a genuine "coin" signal to me? I'm using the AT Pro. Thanks

Also I detect farmsteads for the sake of history and the oldest coins in my area. In farm hunting the technique is just beep and dig- no questions ask. After hunting urban lots around town I see why I don't usually do that. The problem is that aluminum cans blow in from the road, get lost in the tall grass and then get shredded and spread by a bushhog. This has been happening for about 60 years now. If it was like this everywhere I would outright quit. I'm going back to farm fields soon but in the mean time its vacant lots.

thanks

I seriously doubt that someone can differentiate the tones between coins and that kind of trash.

I wrote a post a few months ago about a perfect old site that dated from around 1890-1930. It had houses, brothels, and a hotel on it. The buildings were all destroyed in a fire, and the site is now a vacant field. As I started swinging to test the waters, silver coin tones and TIDs were in every swing. Thing is, all of those silver coin tones and TID's, were pieces of chrome plated car parts, or melted blobs of some sort of metal. It turns out, this site was also a car wreckers that was in business from around 1930-1980. I gave up on the site.

I'm hunting a vacant lot where there are endless trash generated high-tones.

You mentioned tones, and not TID. Is that trash also reading a high TID? If not, use a small coil, a high recovery rate, and just dig the coin TIDs.

If there is a lot of iron trash, and that detector has an iron bias control, then lower the iron bias setting.

Last edited:
.... Can you kind folks describe a genuine "coin" signal to me?...

Country Dirt-kid : This is like asking someone, in printed text, to "please describe the sound of C-major". It can't be done in printed text. It can only be heard. No amount of printed text is going to tell you how something "sounds"

The best you can do is find your particular machine on youtube somewhere. Even even *then*, it would have to be someone who is teasing out the various sounds (capturing audio). And even then, it would depend on their intent of their video. Ie.: Are they purposefully going adjacent trash, in close back-to-back signal comparisons, to show the difference ?

Because if the tone capturing is just incidental now-&-then, then : It will not be consecutive close enough for you to draw any distinctions. Ie.: You practically have to have someone purposefully showing two side-by-side signals. And assessing : "Here's a probable high conductor coin" versus "here's probable crushed can" or "Here's probable can slaw", etc...

If you can't find a video like that, then my suggestion is that you're starting your training process in the wrong venue. You are better off to start at a local sandbox or modern school, where clad abounds. And that is not littered with the type debris you describe. Then dig 100 clad coins. Once you do that, then the lights will go on, and you'll get it. But to try to start in a horrible junk ridden blighted area, where coins are few-&-far between then sure: There will never be a pattern developed in your mind. Since the coins are not back to back, nor frequent enough, to ascertain differences. The signals just become "random", and patterns never accrue in your mind, if you've only dug one or two coins, and 100 junk items, in training hunts.

JMHO

I seriously doubt that someone can differentiate the tones between coins and that kind of trash.

I wrote a post a few months ago about a perfect old site that dated from around 1890-1930. It had houses, brothels, and a hotel on it. The buildings were all destroyed in a fire, and the site is now a vacant field. As I started swinging to test the waters, silver coin tones and TIDs were in every swing. Thing is, all of those silver coin tones and TID's, were pieces of chrome plated car parts, or melted blobs of some sort of metal. It turns out, this site was also a car wreckers that was in business from around 1930-1980. I gave up on the site.

Exactly. An aluminum washer or folded piece of aluminum can will sound and read exactly like a coin. Don't let anyone tell you they can differentiate.

Steve

If it's a trash item, you may be able to eliminate some of them by looking at the VDI numbers. If they bounce, it's most likely a trash item. Also, try raising the coil off the ground 6-7 inches. If it's a large piece of trash you'll hear the signal with the coil raised. A smaller coin sized object won't be heard with the coil raised.

Listen to some coins, they sound solid,not scratchy
Move your coil slowly back and forth in trashy areas. When you get a high tone try to concentrate on it, I dig those tight high tones in trash and get coins.

Move your coil slowly back and forth in trashy areas. When you get a high tone try to concentrate on it, I dig those tight high tones in trash and get coins.

Deeper coins, and coins on edge, can sound scratchy as well. Conversely, a lot of non-ferrous trash, like pull tabs, foil, and slaw, will sound identical to a coin. For those high non-ferrous trash sites, I think utilizing the
TID is essential.

Last edited:

Exactly, using the 800 and having your bins set correctly a coin always has a smooth round tone. Its only scratchy if there is another target close by or a lot of iron in the soil, and even then that round signal comes through. If on edge, most times it points off the edge of the coil and you generally find the coin in the wall of the plug. Mid tones are a little tougher, one of those round energy drink tops fool you everytime. Beavertails will drop to 11 but so do Buffs. And older full pull tabs will climb 14-15-16. But so do war nickels. My problem is walking away from that It might be a coin signal. One thing I do, is switch from 5 tone to two tone, if it sounds smooth and round in 5 tone and scratchy or anything but round in 2 tone. Its junk. I have proved this countless times and dig a couple of of the junky 2 tone signals on every hunt just to confirm. Another thing, if in 5 tone it sounds tight and sweet, switch to 2 tone, if it ain't you'll be surprised how big or crappy the signal is.

On a side note I see you have an Ace 250 metal. I started with the AT Pro.
While walking to a yard permission a week or so back a guy working in his yard flagged me down, asked me what I was looking for. Then told me he had a metal detector. He came out with an Ace 300 and ask if I could give him a little advice. He had no idea about a repeatable till I put a few coins on the ground and showed him. Thought that pertinent to the OPs thread. With all the videos out there I ask him why he didn't watch a few. His reply, no time. And the other thing when I swung his 300 I couldn't believe how clumbsy and uncomfortable it was to swing. It brought back memories of wrist fatigue from the AT Pro days. Good luck. Mark

I tend to stay away from trashy sites as its generally not worth the time and frustration filtering out the junk - I'd suggest the same unless you have a really good reason to suspect something good is there, or if your hunting options are severely restricted.

Country Dirt-kid : This is like asking someone, in printed text, to "please describe the sound of C-major". It can't be done in printed text. It can only be heard. No amount of printed text is going to tell you how something "sounds"

The best you can do is find your particular machine on youtube somewhere. Even even *then*, it would have to be someone who is teasing out the various sounds (capturing audio). And even then, it would depend on their intent of their video. Ie.: Are they purposefully going adjacent trash, in close back-to-back signal comparisons, to show the difference ?

Because if the tone capturing is just incidental now-&-then, then : It will not be consecutive close enough for you to draw any distinctions. Ie.: You practically have to have someone purposefully showing two side-by-side signals. And assessing : "Here's a probable high conductor coin" versus "here's probable crushed can" or "Here's probable can slaw", etc...

If you can't find a video like that, then my suggestion is that you're starting your training process in the wrong venue. You are better off to start at a local sandbox or modern school, where clad abounds. And that is not littered with the type debris you describe. Then dig 100 clad coins. Once you do that, then the lights will go on, and you'll get it. But to try to start in a horrible junk ridden blighted area, where coins are few-&-far between then sure: There will never be a pattern developed in your mind. Since the coins are not back to back, nor frequent enough, to ascertain differences. The signals just become "random", and patterns never accrue in your mind, if you've only dug one or two coins, and 100 junk items, in training hunts.

JMHO

This^^^^^^

I agree with the first comment about trying a few coins. It’s also a good idea to carry a few coins, a bottle cap, and a pull tab when you go out. I know what a coin sounds like on my machine, but some days my ears just jump at any signal, so I toss these down and “recalibrate” myself for them.

Also try a few different types of coins. They might all sound the same on your machine, but I would expect at least a few different sounds and definitely different IDs.

Back
Top Bottom